Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

SUNDAY

Again, limited visiting hours, but its nice this place is staffed 24/7. I never could understand boarding a pet at the vet, then everyone goes home

Well, she seems to be doing ok. She's settling in. She now has a bigger cage and spends time "housekeeping". she scratches the litter out of her box, then into a little pile. I think she's saying she wants the litter box moved! We moved the litter pan behind her "house", so now her food and litter are not in direct view of each other.

We brought her some canned food from home, she sniffed like she recognized it, but didn't eat. However, she is using the litter, so there must be "input". I was annoyed that her water dish was empty and told them about it. They said they were just getting to cleaning the cages, sorry, wouldn't happen again. Even in the best of facilities one must stay on top of them.

Because she's in quarantine, she has her own private room. We took her out of the cage and let her walk around, we brought some toys and she played and cuddled. She was curious to see what was outside the window and started chirping when she saw some birds outside. All in all, she appears to be doing ok, just somewhat bewildered as to why we leave her there

Ok, 3 days down, 7 to go---hang in there girl!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 06-22-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Sorry your little girl is having to go through this. I'd be beside myself if any of mine had to be away from home that long. Sounds like she's in the best place she could be under the circumstances. It will be all be over before you know it, and you can spoil her rotten when you get her home.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 PM

MONDAY

Today just dh visited, about 10 am. We have one car in the shop, so, I wasn't able to go. I do find it best to mix up visiting times, anyways.

DH did get to speak with the vet, who said Kitty is ok, just a little nervous still. she is eating, not much, but eating, as evidenced by the used litter. Fatty liver is not a concern. DH petted her, took her out of the cage to play a bit, then had to go. I talked to her via cell phone, she seemed to respond to my voice. We always bring her a used tee shirt, usually two, one mine, one dh, and bring home the old ones. She does seem to like the scent, she kneads on them.

She comes home Sunday---4 days down, 6 to go!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM

TUESDAY

We're at the midpoint---5 days down, 5 days to go!

I went to visit her with both DS and DD. This is DD's first visit, Muffin seemed excited to see her. All appeared well. She's not nearly as nervous as she was at first, but still prefers to hide in her "house." We might bring her a bigger one tomorrow, or maybe she can use both. she's in a fairly big cage. She appears to be eating and drinking, as evidenced by the soiled litter. No weight loss. We brought her more soiled tee shirts to snuzzle with and took the soiled ones home to wash.

Right after we left, dh visited. We just missed each other by half an hour! Ok, well, she knows she's loved and not forgotten. She always looks forlorn when we leave without her. Its so important to keep her spirits up. Every time I visit, I'm glad I decided for the more expensive, private clinic. Even though it costs 4x as much, its worth it for her, and our peace of mind.

I hope anyone else reading this will realize the importance of keeping the rabies vaccines current. We were only off by a few days, but they're very strict about animal bites. If her shots were current, we could have quarantined her at home. We live in Texas. I understand some states are even more harsh. If an animal bites someone and their rabies aren't current, they cut the animal's head off to do a brain exam. Obviously, not good for the animal

Hang in there, little Muffin!

Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Thanks for sharing Muffin updates! We're all rooting for her!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 PM

WEDNESDAY

Day 6, we're in the downhill stretch!

Just DH visited her today. We still have just one car, the other is still in the shop. DH visited her 2x, am & pm. Both times she's doing well. It was raining this pm, and, like most cats, she was somewhat animated, but seemed in good spirits. DH changed out her tee shirts, put new "used" ones in the cage. also, we brought her another "house" a bigger box with a door and a "window, a little rectangle cut in the side with a "curtain" just a sheet of paper towel so they can change it daily. She seems to really like it. She now has two houses, a litter box with a privacy panel, and a food area.

DH spoke with the vet, he said she's eating with a good appetite now. No concern about dehydration or fatty liver.

Four more days to go, hang in there, baby!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
She's a lucky little girl to have such devoted parents. You hang in there too!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
She's a lucky little girl to have such devoted parents. You hang in there too!
I totally agree. You and your family are really going the extra mile to make this experience the best it can be for Muffin. Giving her clothing items with your scent is bound to be making a huge difference for her, as well as the frequent visits. She's a very lucky girl to have such a caring family looking out for her. But I'm sure she knows that.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 PM

THURSDAY

DH & I visited, both kids were working. Muffin seems to be settling in, enjoying her houses. She likes to re-arrange her bedding, drags it around. She has a big cage, actually, its a dog's cage so she has extra room. She seemed almost happy today. She acts somewhat sad when we leave, but guess she's taking things for what they are worth.

Anything we do can't be too good for her. She saved my life about 2 years ago. I had high blood sugar, but wasn't paying attention to it, and misplaced my meter. Muffin likes dragging stuff around the house, she's a busy little gal. Well, one day she came in dragging my glucose meter, its in a little nylon bag. Oh, I'd wondered about that. lets see, maybe I should take it again----WTH---598 Try it again, 596, then, too high to register! Hmmm.....perhaps the meter is just stuck on high, tested dh and kids, they were all normal. Ok, well, I'm diabetic, how 'bout that?

It was late at night, about 10 pm, and I had a doctor's appt the following morning, so, I just went to bed. I should have gone to the ER, but didn't realize how serious it was. The doctor about freaked out! She suggested putting me in the hospital, then decided it could be managed at home. Who knows how long my sugar was so elevated? I could have gone into a coma if Muffin hadn't alerted me.

Since then, I've gotten with the program. Diet, exercise, meds, I now run about 100--120. I know the cat wasn't thinking Mom has diabetes, but it was due to her actions I'm alive today. So, see.....she deserves the best!

Will post some pictures when I can figure it out...

She is scheduled to come home Sunday!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:32 PM

SATURDAY

SHE'S HOME! MUFFIN IS HOME!!!

I thought she was scheduled to come home Sunday, so that's how I was counting the days. The state required 10 days of quarantine, they didn't all have to be at the same place. They counted the first day she was at home as day one, so it turned out to be just 9 days at the vet. Of course, she needed a final exam, and the vet had to fill out paperwork for the state. She has a clean bill of health, and our little girl is home!

DH picked her up this AM. She seemed somewhat confused, what's happening now? But it was a short trip, and she was soon home. Interesting, she had to explore all the rooms, sniff, check everything out. She wasn't very hungry, just drank some water. She's back to her old "tricks", brings me toys, she likes to play fetch. She likes those milk carton twisties, I throw them, she chases them down and bring them to me, we did that for almost an hour tonight! Then, she curled up in the bed and watched TV with me. Its coming up a big thunderstorm, she snuzzles down in the blankets and hides.

Well, the story had a happy ending. The total vet bill came to ~$370. It would have been $150 at the shelter, but the difference is well worth it to have a happy, healthy kitty returned to us. And I promise, NEVER to let her rabies go out-of-date again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats