Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Bobbles vomited in the evening after being at the vet last week. Right beforehand, she made a very loud strange sound and then slowly vomited this large long column shaped vomit. It was about 4" long. She vomited another shorter one and then some bile. It was clearly partly digested food. It was light tan. Since she had just been to the vet a few hours before, I figured she vomited because of the stress and the vet pressing on her stomach.

Yesterday, I was collecting laundry in the bedroom and noticed a long column shaped something in the middle of my bedroom. I hadn't seen it earlier. I'm not sure if there's where she deposited this or if it flipped out of a piece of clothing when I was picking up dirty clothes. I suspected it was in the clothes pile. It was really strange looking though. I thought it was poop because it was brown. It was sort of dried up so it may have changed to a darker color than what she threw up previously.

Did I mention in a previous thread her litter box rebellion a week ago where she squatted on the dog's blanket and peed right in front of me? Well, I thought it was a litter box rebellion, but to play it safe I did ask the vet to check her for a urinary tract infection but they were unable to get any urine out of her to test. When I found this thing in my bedroom and assumed it was poop, I instantly thought, "Geeze, is the litter box rebellion this bad?!?!?!?!" I flushed it down the toilet.

I've been worried for multiple reasons. The more I think about it, the more I realize it didn't look anything like any of her poop. Her poop is more narrow, and, well, cat poop shaped. I searched "long thin vomit" in google images and didn't see anything like it. I searched "large hairball" and saw one picture like it. It's on this wiki and it's a 10 cm, 3.9" hairball. That means Bobbles' would have been slightly longer. I called the vet's office and the girl who answered the phone said she has seen a 4" long circular shaped hairball. The owner brought it in thinking it was poop.

Does it sound like a hairball? My Persians never vomited anything this big!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
yes they do.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Could that be why she has been temperamental? Is it painful to have those big hairballs in their stomachs?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM

btw, the vet's receptionist is having the vet recommend something to help her pass her hairballs. I'm on that.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 PM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Cats can have long, column-shaped vomit if they eat too much too fast. I had a cat who would overeat and then vomit it back up...in the shape of her esophagus. The vet said she was eating too much too fast.

Hairballs can look like cat poop, as you know. Your cat needs to take a hairball medication every day.

As far as the litter box rebellion goes, I had a cat who would go outside the litterbox when she had a urinary tract infection. She had a tiny bladder, so the vet would have to use ultrasound to locate her bladder and use a needle to withdraw some of the urine.

Good luck figuring all this out!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Sounds like hair balls. Does Bobbles have cat grass to nibble on?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
One of my girls (Gypsy) does the same thing once in a while (long cylindrical hair balls). Sometimes it resembles poop, sometimes it's mostly food because she eats too fast. So it's not uncommon, at least around my house, and hairball remedy usually helps the problem.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
No kudzu just mentioned her cat vomiting a 7" hairball a few days ago. (It's burned in my memory!) It was in a thread about a hairball remedy.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Some cats pass fur through their systems well, and other don't.

Lily's 11.. I can count on one hand the hairballs she's presented to me.............5.

Charcoal who is long haired is 2-1/2.........he's had one.........and it was a doozy. Looked like a short hotdog. However, he normally passes his fur through fairly well.

How do I know? Well.......he was suspected of having eaten a plastic q-tip. So......I had to examine his poop. Lots of fur in the poop.

When he expelled that hairball............it also contained the chewed bits of that plastic q-tip.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad she isn't pooping in my bedroom!

The first actual vomit could have been more than 7" but it didn't come out all at once. It was 4", then two 2", then bile. I stood next to her while she did it. I think she appreciated the moral support. Hopefully she'll have an easier time after we get her on the hairball medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats