Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times

Advertisements

I have such problems with constipation, and going.
My latest concern is that I produce "marbles", either about a quarter size or smaller. Nothing else.
What does it mean? I take a bunch of meds and am wondering if this is a side effect of one of them. It just started happening lately. Does anyone know if this is a side effect of some condition? I already have a gastro doc, but its expensive to see him. Decided to increase my liquids and to add prunes and more fruit, but I am seeing no results.

Hope I haven't been too repulsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
Meds can certainly mess up your BMs, make you constipated.
I try to eat some cereal with All Bran on top, have fiber tabs,
stool softener, prunes and orange juice.
My husband had trouble until he got off of heavy duty pain meds
after surgery and an infection.
Search the computer for answers but if it doesn't get better soon
get help.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,562 times
Since you're on a lot of meds try something natural for better bowel movements.
A healthy colon is a happy colon and if all you're doing is squeezing / pushing out a lot of hard fecal matter, it's time to do something.
Organic-India-Harmony
It works. It's affordable and it's natural and organic.
And yes, drink plenty of good water.
Drink at least 8 glasses a day and if you're peeing all day, that's o.k..
If you don't want to buy bottled water and you don't have good well water, get a Britta pitcher or some kind of good filtration system.
Good water and plenty of it is really important for good bowel movements and good health in general and it's extra important for you as you're taking so much medication.
Eat well ... plenty of whole foods.
Eat some fresh fruit daily.
If you don't exercise, start walking daily.
It's good for the whole body and helps to keep everything flowing.
I'd also find a natural way to support your liver not only for better poopin' but also because your liver could use some support due to regular use of pharmaceuticals.
Milk Thistle or Dandelion are both herbs that are excellent for liver support.
Check with your m.d. to make sure there's no issue with either herbs and your meds.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 PM

35 posts, read 68,213 times
Try to take some stool softeners, you may have too much fibers in your system. Mostly because it's hard, if you know what I mean.

Is one of your meds contains opioid analgesic? It can cause constipation.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,058,225 times
Eat Prunes.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
When your poop floats, it usually means you have plenty of fiber in your diet. Mine poop usually goes straight down and chips the bottom.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
When your poop floats, it usually means you have plenty of fiber in your diet. Mine poop usually goes straight down and chips the bottom.
That's so not true.
I eat a lot of fiber (always have) and i also take a fiber supplement (the one i recommended on this thread) and .... well, i don't feel like going into details about my poop but it's just not true.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,905 times
I had the exact same problem as the OP. I tried all forms of fiber from psillium, to senna, to pectin, to taking 6-10 prunes daily, to taking an otc med daily. No results.

When I got pregnant, my symptoms worsened and I cried everytime I had to go. I was miserable. Then I found out I was having twins and my perinatologist recommended upping my intake of calcium and magnesium via a supplement in addition to my daily prenatals. Bingo. From what I have read since, people suffering from constipation often have undiagnosed magnesium deficiencies. That, apparently, was my issue. I haven't had a problem since, except when I forget to take my magnesium supplement at night.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
I have read that some people have the opposite reaction with psyllium from what they're supposed to and I think I'm one of those people. If you take it and it makes the constipation worse, then you could be one of those people too.

I have also read that people who have long-standing constipation issues which aren't solved by the usual methods of more fiber and liquids could have a food intolerance and dairy and gluten would be the usual malefactors. If you can't solve this any other way, you might want to try an elimination diet. Also ask your pharmacist if any of your meds could be causing this. If any are antibiotics, you'll want to be taking probiotics too.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM

There's all sort of reasons (emotional, psychological, physical) for constipation.
Pharmaceuticals often interfere with healthy bowel movements.
And often people find that psyllium causes or exacerbates constipation because they don't drink enough water when taking it.
It's absolutely essential that enough water is taken with psyllium .... at least 8 0z but preferably twice that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness