Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times

Advertisements

We're making progress. Ghost has been coming down here off and on for a few minutes at at time and then going back upstairs when she want's to. She's even been walking around while the dogs have been walking around. They still ignore her thank goodness.

Yesterday, somehow Stripe and Ghost both ended up on the same table so I figured I'd take advantage of that and got a cooked piece of chicken and fed each one gradually bringing them closer together until they were right next to each other. When Ghost noticed Stripe so close, she gave a very low growl that lasted half a second, Stripes back went up but immediately went down again, and then they both continued to eat the chicken out of my hand. When she was done Ghost went back upstairs. Oh, I even had her playing down here while the dogs were walking around. She kept a wary eye on them, but it didn't stop her from chasing her mouse around.

We're getting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
We're making progress. Ghost has been coming down here off and on for a few minutes at at time and then going back upstairs when she want's to. She's even been walking around while the dogs have been walking around. They still ignore her thank goodness.

Yesterday, somehow Stripe and Ghost both ended up on the same table so I figured I'd take advantage of that and got a cooked piece of chicken and fed each one gradually bringing them closer together until they were right next to each other. When Ghost noticed Stripe so close, she gave a very low growl that lasted half a second, Stripes back went up but immediately went down again, and then they both continued to eat the chicken out of my hand. When she was done Ghost went back upstairs. Oh, I even had her playing down here while the dogs were walking around. She kept a wary eye on them, but it didn't stop her from chasing her mouse around.

We're getting there.
Sounds like they're going to work it out, and you are doing the right things. Hope it continues to go well.
Thanks for the update.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:33 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Lauriedeee -- awesome! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
What a great idea! Food does seem to be the great motivator for pets!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:23 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! Ghost is beautiful! She truly does look like a ghost too!

Well, she's obviously not mad at you for reprimanding her since you don't reprimand her. The poop on your bed must be territorial if her litter box was clean. You'll just have to keep your bedroom door closed and make that room off limits.

I think you should give them time. Two months isn't a long time for an adult cat to adjust. Your old girl isn't bothered by her except when she's startled. It could be a lot worse. Give it time and keep brushing them with the same brush so they smell the same.

She may be pouncing near your old cat because she's too afraid to bother the dogs. I anticipate she'll get more daring with the dogs in the coming months. They love to torment dogs if they feel safe doing so. She's giving them wide berth because she's not sure yet. Once she realizes they are harmless, she'll harass them like she's harassing your old girl.
I was thinking this. Two months isn't a long time for cats and it could take a while. OP, be patient and keep your door closed. I've never heard of the diffusers, but I'd try that too. She might just be unsure.

We've only owned two cats at once only once. Olivia was the matriarch over Mimi because Olivia was much older than Mimi (we adopted them together from a no-kill cat shelter). April will be three years since Olivia died and it's only Mimi now. Mimi doesn't get along with other cats, so we can't adopt another. It doesn't sound like that's the case, so it might be a case where patience is virtue.

Ghost is adorable! I love her and I love that face!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Wife and I always keep 3 cats at a time and we rescue ours so we are always introducing cats to each other at some point. Mu advice is that somehow they will work it out. I have 2 older girls, a Calico/Maine Coon mix and a Maine Coon. When I adopted the Maine Coon, the Calico and her didn't love the idea and there was hissing and pawing and all the usual stuff. Things evened out quickly between them and now they are buddies......however......we adopted/rescued a 6 week old kitten and we fully introduced him to the girls when he was 12 weeks old and we knew he was healthy......we had supervised meets up until then. The girls hissed at him and made it clear they hated the idea. Ozzy(the kitten) had tons of confidence right from the start and quickly tried to assert his dominance over Emma(Maine Coon). He is over a year old and Emma hates him. He drives Luna(Calico) and Emma absolutely crazy. We are at the point where they can all be in the same room together but Ozzy is a ball of fire and he constantly chases and jumps on them.
As long as there is no blood and violent fights, I think you will be fine over time. Some cats take to each other right away ,some take months to a year, some never at all.
Remember to have multiple litter boxes. Rule is 1 for each cat + 1. We have 4 and have no litter box issues. Give it time, all will be right in their kitty world.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:14 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
You could have knocked me over with a feather this morning

I put down Stripes food and was starting to fill Ghosts food dish when I turned around to see Ghost and Stripe both eating out of the same food dish. No hissy fits, no paws, nothing. They were both very calmly sharing the same food.

She's a keeper!

gm, They each have their own cat box, and then we have the extra box that is used but we're not sure by which one.

Thank you everyone for cyberly holding my hand through this and for all your suggestions and advice!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
You could have knocked me over with a feather this morning

I put down Stripes food and was starting to fill Ghosts food dish when I turned around to see Ghost and Stripe both eating out of the same food dish. No hissy fits, no paws, nothing. They were both very calmly sharing the same food.

She's a keeper!

gm, They each have their own cat box, and then we have the extra box that is used but we're not sure by which one.

Thank you everyone for cyberly holding my hand through this and for all your suggestions and advice!

That's great news. As predicted, they worked it out themselves, with your help. Glad to hear they made friends.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Excellent! I'm guessing Stripes and Ghost had a powwow last night and concluded that the not-getting-along rubbish was getting boring :-)

Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Excellent! I'm guessing Stripes and Ghost had a powwow last night and concluded that the not-getting-along rubbish was getting boring :-)
The other side of the coin is you might have to keep a closer eye on them if they start working together. I'm convinced that my cats have been conspiring against me for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats