Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,100 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to the boards but thought it would be cool to start a thread with tips on how to travel with cats from your experience. Soon I would like to start travelling with my cat. Which airlines are animal friendly? What medications should be given to a cat when flying? Etc...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
actually, good idea, but if you type in travel with cats or pets in search, you will find there are many threads already on this topic. The General Moving Forum also has them in addition to the pet forum. There are tons of information already been tossed around about meds and experiences. I myself are in the same boat as you. I'll be traveling with two cats across country. Lots of good advice here. So, if you have a specific question, feel free to post it. I know many who will be able to answer it.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,056 times
No medications. Get a nice Sherpa carrier and take your cat on board.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,376 times
Traveling can be extremely stressful for a cat. I recommend meds (by your vet) if the trip is going to be really long and if your cat doesn't handle stress very well. Also if traveling by car, you can sort of wait and see if its necessary. We did a 12 hour car ride before and a 5 or so hour plane trip. The plane trip I took the cat in the cabin with me. This will not work if you have a really large cat. They almost didn't let me bring him back with me, saying he was too big for the underseat carrier. When we went by car we ended up using a little bit of a sedative to help. The plane ride we went without but he was a lot younger then. I don't think I would do meds if they were going below in a plane, I would want them to be fully alert.

Cats don't eat, drink, or go to the bathroom when stressed out, so though its nice to offer some water it will probably go untouched especially in a plane.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
On a plane, definitely take your cat on board, and avoid medications.

In a car, try to take them on short trips before the "big one". When I brought my guys up to Seattle from LA, I got some sedatives, but only as an "in case" deal. I never had to use them, and I don't believe that they should be given, unless the circumstances really require them.

LMAO....cats DO "go to the bathroom" when stressed. Fortunately, we had some towels in the back of the car to catch it when one of my guys decided "it was time". Puke and diarrhea at the same time. Just another reason why cats are great pets.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 AM

324 posts, read 1,285,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
LMAO....cats DO "go to the bathroom" when stressed. Fortunately, we had some towels in the back of the car to catch it when one of my guys decided "it was time". Puke and diarrhea at the same time. Just another reason why cats are great pets.
Oh yah I forgot about the other extreme of stress . Its usually one way or the other though. I've been lucky enough not to have a diarrhea issue with my cats but have definitely heard of it happening a lot. Some cats get horribly motion sick.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:00 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
mine used to be a total mess (diarrhea and vomiting) by the time we got to our destination and the howling was terrible so I started giving her something to calm her down from the vet's and she was much better. It helped her and me. It depends on the pet, if they're really stressed I think it would be better to calm them down with meds. It's not like you'd give them those pills everyday.
I'd give her one and she'd be dopey for about 12 hours. I also would say to take her into the plane's cabin with you if possible. Those "Sherpa" carriers are wonderful.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Our cat is a constant meower in the car.
I cannot think of how he will react on a plane from the east coast to Seattle, where our new home will be.
I read an article by a holistic vet and also a book on cat advice by another vet.
Both recommended the Bach Flower Remedies.
I am familiar with this line of products, having seen them in many health food stores for years.
If you search on the net, there are many places that sell them.
The recommendation for travelling are the Rescue Remedy and the Rock Rose.
They can be used together.
They are supposed to taste bitter, and though you can put a few drops in the poor animal's mouth, the prefered method is to add about 4 drops to the drinking water.
I would start a few days in advance, to make sure he is drinking the water, being so fussy. You can also rub it into pulse points or onto the ears.
I would still keep drugs on hand, just in case.
What will the airline do if the cat starts that constant meeee-ow?
I guess they can kick us off if we are not yet airborn.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Our cat is a constant meower in the car.
I cannot think of how he will react on a plane from the east coast to Seattle, where our new home will be.
I read an article by a holistic vet and also a book on cat advice by another vet.
Both recommended the Bach Flower Remedies.
I am familiar with this line of products, having seen them in many health food stores for years.
If you search on the net, there are many places that sell them.
The recommendation for travelling are the Rescue Remedy and the Rock Rose.
They can be used together.
They are supposed to taste bitter, and though you can put a few drops in the poor animal's mouth, the prefered method is to add about 4 drops to the drinking water.
I would start a few days in advance, to make sure he is drinking the water, being so fussy. You can also rub it into pulse points or onto the ears.
I would still keep drugs on hand, just in case.
What will the airline do if the cat starts that constant meeee-ow?
I guess they can kick us off if we are not yet airborn.

They don't kick whining and crying kids off !!!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
They don't kick whining and crying kids off !!!!!!
Boy, do I ever agree with you.
As I age I think there must be something in our environment, so many kids are just so awful - either that or the parents are mental mutants.
It used to be socially humiliating for a parent to have his kid carry on like that.
But those were the days when people had a social conscience and were capable of feeling humiliation.
And, the odd thing is, today a woman really does not have to have a kid if she has no intention of taking the trouble to rear it properly.

Of coarse, it is the noisy kids that usually draw our attention.

I watched the View one day and that 'Sherry' person actually said when her youngins' acted out at home she would take them to a department store and let them run off their excess energy there.
She said it as though she thought it was a cute and creative idea. Seriously.
It's a shame that they cannot give people some sort of test before they are allowed to become parents.

Sherry is black, and it is thoughtless and air-headed comments like that which do discredit the black community as well as reinforce prejudices of others.
You would hope the media would be more sensitive to image, seeing that that's the business they are in. And, the sad thing is, people on that show try so hard to be 'pc' that I don't remember anyone correcting her, and saying this is something she should be embarrassed over and not broadcasting as though she'd done something clever.

Maybe I'm ranting too much. Today, people are struggling with jobs that are increasingly demanding, often having to compete for jobs with people the world over. They probably don't have the time to actually cultivate good, well-mannered children. Ultimately, the children lose out in this deal, as does the future of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats