Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I have taken good care of them because I feel obligated to, and because they're great cats for the most part, but that's really the only reason. I'm sure I'll miss them after they're gone, but at the same time I'll be glad because I'll be able to make some changes I've wanted to make for awhile.
Your post makes no sense. They're great cats, and you're sure you'll miss them, but you don't want them?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla30 View Post
I don't understand why can't you just drop them off at a shelter. I would never lose sleep over, or have my comfort level due to some cat. Don't forget it's your life, not the cat's,... live your life happily, if the cat is not bringing you happiness get rid of it, you don't owe any explanation to anyone, nor do you owe anything to that cat.
I'm wondering how you wandered into a thread about cats. Yes, OP does owe the cats the home that was promised to them when she took them in. I don't think the OP wants to get rid of the cats and that line about "cats aren't people" sounds like a load of crap that OP is being fed by someone. Gosh, I have known for years that cats aren't people but they are a lot like children because you decide to bring them into your life, it becomes a commitment. Maybe with any luck, the OP was just having a bad day.

If my husband came downstairs and told me to get rid of my dogs or he was leaving, I'd help him pack! And should be comment that dogs aren't people.............

Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
Quote:
I don't understand why can't you just drop them off at a shelter. I would never lose sleep over, or have my comfort level due to some cat. Don't forget it's your life, not the cat's,... live your life happily, if the cat is not bringing you happiness get rid of it, you don't owe any explanation to anyone, nor do you owe anything to that cat.
It's attitudes such as this one that lead to overcrowded animal shelters and thousands of perfectly loving animals being euthanized for no reason.

I honestly hope you don't have children. Imagine them just growing tired of you and throwing you away or "dropping you off" in a nursing home

Think twice before being so callous, next time.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Leyla, you are an awful person. I can't even call you a human being, because a human being would never drop off beloved senior pets off at a shelter to die alone. Your attitude borders on psychopathic. Get some therapy. Psychopaths harm animals and never lose sleep over it. Why are you on the cat forum if you have nothing valuable to add? Browse here instead.

OP, ignore the hateful "advice" from Leyla, and instead love and care for your cats. They depend on you. You are their everything.

Here is some inspiration: 102 year old finds love!

Her post definitely worried me.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Plenty of people feel the way you do, OP - you just won't find them posting on a pet-centric forum. And there's nothing wrong with those feelings, either, provided you still continue to do right by your animals. Life throws us a lot of changes, and many we never see coming! Once their time comes, just give yourself a break from keeping animals for a while until you've made those changes you've hinted about and have a better feeling for how (if at all) any new animals will fit into your life.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
I love cats but I have been that unwanted 16 year old

Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
I am absolutely appalled and astounded at your post - of course you aren't the same person you were 14 years ago. One would think you would have matured somewhat and realized the parallel between your older, senior cats and yourself. You're tired of them and they're cramping your style. Too bad - maybe they're tired of you too. Animals are a commitment, and a responsibility that is not to taken lightly. This isn't like a divorce or a separation - for them at their age, if no one wants them their only option would be death. You only cared for them because you felt obligated - not because you loved them and wanted to protect them? You should have tried to re-home them then - at least then they may have had a chance to find a home. I cannot imagine what kind of life changes you have been denying yourself that those cats could possibly have held you back from (and I don't care to know BTW) but they are extremely adaptable and could have adjusted to new situations and such just as easily as most people can. It took you 14 years to realize that cats aren't people - so as you now progress into your own autumn years the time will come for someone to make decisions that will impact your life. You reap what you sow.
BTW - I just had to put down two of my senior kitties last Wednesday, one 16 and one 17 so I do understand how close the bond becomes after so many years. I could no more have just discarded them because they were old, or looked forward to they day they were gone for anything. They were my buddies, my babies, my family.....I would do anything to have more time with them.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,824 times
Wow! So many responses. I'll try to respond to the most relevant and common points, while avoiding redundancy. Here goes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
No...they aren't people. I think my cats are cooler than most people lol. :P
Many people say that, some seriously, others half-seriously. If you truly believe that, then you are seriously effed up! I'd suggest you need major therapy, but if you're so effed up as to elevate cats above humans, you're so incorrigibly effed up it really would be a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I'm not really sure your cats deserve to be in home they're no longer wanted. They deserve to be loved and cherished, and even more so now that they're senior citizens who need an owner that is willing to care for their special needs.
-sigh- Look, I'm taking good care of them, and they don't know I don't want them anymore, or at least they're showing no indication of it if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Cheer up, they're old and they'll die soon. (Am I a terrible person for hoping that you someday have kids who feel the same way about you?)
I don't have kids, and when my health deteriorates to the extent I can no longer live independently (probably about 80-ish) I plan to commit suicide. Seriously, once I'm enfeebled I'll be ready to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
What do you want to do that is limited by these cats you have had for over a decade? Cats are way more self sufficient than a dog. I guess I just don't see how these cats are limiting your life.
Very salient question, thank you. It's largely economic. If I didn't have cats I could move to an apartment that costs $200-300 less per month. I'd also save at least several hundred dollars year on vet costs.

It's also a matter of convenience. Yes, I'd love to be able to just go out of town for a week and not need to worry about bothering my neighbor to care for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
What makes me most sad is the people on here offering nothing but rebukes. I still don't see where the OP is actually doing some awful thing or indicates any intention of doing so, just expressing a feeling that is taboo on the surface but deep down is familiar to many people in many similar situations (not just with pets).
Just want to say thanks for understanding. No, I still intend to take care of them because I accepted the responsibility; I'm just somewhat frustrated with all it entails.

Quote:
I know others won't want to hear this, but I think that's a valid argument. If I knew they'd get a good home I'd consider it. The problem is that probably no one would adopt them because they're so old. People generally don't want older cats, and I just couldn't live with myself if I just 'dumped' them at a shelter.

OK, thanks to everyone for the input.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 PM

58 posts, read 134,168 times
I don't want to add to the already emotional and heated argument here.
Just want to say I am very impressed with the OP for the honesty and intelligent response.

Isn't it a good thing if we can see various perspectives? After all, this is "cat" forum, not "cat-lover" forum.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Sometimes ya just need to kvetch a little, and that is OK. Doesn't make ya a bad person. Actions speak louder and all that jazz.
This. OP, you don't owe anyone on this forum an explanation, and no one has a right to judge your feelings. You're doing right by your cats, and that's all that truly matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats