Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times

Advertisements

My Smudge doesn't like to be picked up... and he was born in my laundry room! That's just the way he is.

Yes, I would move kitty before the neighbor moves........I don't know what kind of timeline you're working with, but I'd try to get his new "house" all set for him before he's moved.

He's a stray. Probably dumped.

I've taken in two dumped strays........one was less than 6 months old.......the other 18 mos old (and pregnant). As luck would have it.....both tested negative for all the nasty diseases. A third dumped stray and one of the most friendly cats I've run across, my mail carrier took in last fall. We lent her a carrier to take Soupy home with her after her shift. So now she has two little black cats who are finally getting along.

I started with one cat, Lily. She was the only cat for 9 years when I rescued #1 - Charcoal. He's always loved her.......she hated him. It's taken 2-1/2 years for her to let him wash her face. So that made 2.

Then Stray #2 Momma Kitty who was pregnant and delivered 2 live kittens. After the kittens were 6 weeks old.....all three went to the vets. Since Momma tested negative, the kittens were too. Once they were old enough Momma and the boys were introduced to Lily and Charcoal. The girls just co-exist and basically ignore each other. The three boys........are all the best of friends and playmates....and drive me crazy most days.

And that's how I wound up with 5.

And more importantly, no unwanted litters in the neighborhood.

Good luck with your endeavors!

And thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I agree, it sounds like he was either a left behind cat, or a stray.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 AM

486 posts, read 2,113,389 times
Thank you all for the informative replies. I have a few weeks before the lady moves and in the meantime I've been going to the house to feed him and make him comfortable in my presence. The lady, her name is Michele mentioned a NO kill shelter that she knows of and was thinking of taking him there so he can get a chance at a real furever home. We are both torn and I was secretly hoping that since her dogs passed away not too long ago that she would take him in. But the last resort will be for him to come with me. He really is a sweet cat and I can easily see myself with 4 cats....LOL.... Cat lady title here I come!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Thank you all for the informative replies. I have a few weeks before the lady moves and in the meantime I've been going to the house to feed him and make him comfortable in my presence. The lady, her name is Michele mentioned a NO kill shelter that she knows of and was thinking of taking him there so he can get a chance at a real furever home. We are both torn and I was secretly hoping that since her dogs passed away not too long ago that she would take him in. But the last resort will be for him to come with me. He really is a sweet cat and I can easily see myself with 4 cats....LOL.... Cat lady title here I come!
You see... there's always a solution.

I have 4 cats now (had 7 at one time), and it's totally doable.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
There's a phenomenon that a 4-cat household feels no different than a 3-cat :-)

And, um, the title of Cat Lady -- you're not approaching it - you're already there ... but not because of numbers of cats, but because you care. So, wear the respectable title with honor :-)

Keep us up-to-date!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
There's a phenomenon that a 4-cat household feels no different than a 3-cat :-)

And, um, the title of Cat Lady -- you're not approaching it - you're already there ... but not because of numbers of cats, but because you care. So, wear the respectable title with honor :-)

Keep us up-to-date!
And a 5 cat household feels no different than a 4 cat one...... except at bedtime.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM

486 posts, read 2,113,389 times
I love all your replies...you guys are awesome!! And funny too.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:27 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
I love all your replies...you guys are awesome!! And funny too.
Truthfully I spend more time on this forum than on any other C-D forum for exactly that reason.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
And a 5 cat household feels no different than a 4 cat one...... except at bedtime.
And at tv watching time! With 5.. I need a longer sofa!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
And at tv watching time! With 5.. I need a longer sofa!
If you think your sofa gets crowded, try it with a recliner. My personal best is 4 at one time (and yes... I forgot to use the bathroom before I sat down ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats