Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times

Advertisements

Nic529 -- dry kibble is addictive and your your cats have probably been eating it long enough that they don't recognize canned or raw as "food". There's some wonderful tips for transitioning your cats to canned from kibble on CatInfo.org. It takes a little patience and a lot of determination, but most cats will transition fully within a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
What do you think about Sheba canned cat food?
Sorry, S'getti O,
Sheba is one of the worst. I think it is Sheba & Little Caesar that have a matching ingredients list.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
What do you think about Sheba canned cat food?
According to Janet and Binky's Food Charts, Sheba's Tender Beef and Salmon Gourmet Dinner are both pretty good - although the phosphorus content isn't listed. They do use tapioca in some of the their recipes, but of all the grains out there, tapioca affects blood sugar in cats the least. HOWEVER, most of the Sheba cuisines are NOT nutritionally balanced, so they aren't meant to to be the only food your cat is eating.

If the cost and availability of quality cat food is a concern, there are several brand on Binky's chart that are available from most grocery stores. You're just looking for one that has fewer than 10% carbs and doesn't contain grains. If your kitty ihas CRF, you also want to look for one with less than 200 mcg of phosphorus per 100 kcal.... but if your cat is healthy, they should be able to handle the phos. in most cat foods just fine.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,480 times
If I may ask, the ingredients that I have found on the labels are just tuna, prawns, chicken, fish, potassium cloride, carrageenean, carob gum. What's so bad about that? I don't know LIttle Casear.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
According to Janet and Binky's Food Charts, Sheba's Tender Beef and Salmon Gourmet Dinner are both pretty good - although the phosphorus content isn't listed. They do use tapioca in some of the their recipes, but of all the grains out there, tapioca affects blood sugar in cats the least. HOWEVER, most of the Sheba cuisines are NOT nutritionally balanced, so they aren't meant to to be the only food your cat is eating.

If the cost and availability of quality cat food is a concern, there are several brand on Binky's chart that are available from most grocery stores. You're just looking for one that has fewer than 10% carbs and doesn't contain grains. If your kitty ihas CRF, you also want to look for one with less than 200 mcg of phosphorus per 100 kcal.... but if your cat is healthy, they should be able to handle the phos. in most cat foods just fine.

Ok, thanks. I knew about the lack of vitamins in Sheba, but I was curious about it other than that factor. I don't see why I couldn't put my own vitamins into the mix...I'll look at the link. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 PM

One other question, I don't know how to read that chart. What am I looking for?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM

I may have it wrong, I said I thought it was Sheba. It is the pate' style food. Same company owns both (Mars).

The sheba premium cuts LOOK decent - but I personally haven't researched that product.

Besides, how many wild cats do you know ocean fish and dive for shrimp (cats won't eat what they can't SMELL, so food manufacturers know fish products will help with this).

Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM

MissingAll4Seasons,

What are your thoughts on the Feline Instincts ( felineinstincts.com ) food plan?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM

On the chart, you're looking for a food that has roughly the same protein% & fat% (between 35 & 45) and less than 12% carbs (10% if your cat has diabetes). Next, you need a food with phosphorus less than 200 on the chart if your cat has renal disease. Once you identify the foods you want to try, look at the ingredients list on the label at the store... ignore any food that contains wheat, gluten, corn, or potato. If you can't find one that is 100% grain-free, tapioca and brown rice are the only "decent" grains for cats as long as the carbs are still under 10-12%.

You'll probably end up buying a few different brands or flavors in order to find one your cat will like, and it's fine to rotate between brands for some variety as long as it's not a drastic change that could upset your kitty's stomach and cause diarrhea. I rotate between homemade, Wellness, Wysong, and Nature's Variety Instinct on a daily basis for my cats, and sometimes mix flavors and brands together to get the perfect combination for my cats.

Be very careful adding vitamins to a substandard cat food... they have to be properly balanced or else you could end up with a deficiency in one and an overabundance of another which causes all sorts of health problems for cats. For example, calcium and phosphorus need to be a perfect ratio, but you also need vitamin to utilize the calcium properly... it's a delicate balance. Also, human potency vitamins can very easily become toxic for cats since they are formulated for an adult human roughly 170 lbs, and cats don't weigh nearly that much! There are some cat vitamins out there, but those aren't perfect balanced either. If you are interested in making your own cat food, either from raw meat or a meat-only canned food, always use an established recipe designed for cats.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
On the chart, you're looking for a food that has roughly the same protein% & fat% (between 35 & 45) and less than 12% carbs (10% if your cat has diabetes). Next, you need a food with phosphorus less than 200 on the chart if your cat has renal disease. Once you identify the foods you want to try, look at the ingredients list on the label at the store... ignore any food that contains wheat, gluten, corn, or potato. If you can't find one that is 100% grain-free, tapioca and brown rice are the only "decent" grains for cats as long as the carbs are still under 10-12%.

You'll probably end up buying a few different brands or flavors in order to find one your cat will like, and it's fine to rotate between brands for some variety as long as it's not a drastic change that could upset your kitty's stomach and cause diarrhea. I rotate between homemade, Wellness, Wysong, and Nature's Variety Instinct on a daily basis for my cats, and sometimes mix flavors and brands together to get the perfect combination for my cats.

Be very careful adding vitamins to a substandard cat food... they have to be properly balanced or else you could end up with a deficiency in one and an overabundance of another which causes all sorts of health problems for cats. For example, calcium and phosphorus need to be a perfect ratio, but you also need vitamin to utilize the calcium properly... it's a delicate balance. Also, human potency vitamins can very easily become toxic for cats since they are formulated for an adult human roughly 170 lbs, and cats don't weigh nearly that much! There are some cat vitamins out there, but those aren't perfect balanced either. If you are interested in making your own cat food, either from raw meat or a meat-only canned food, always use an established recipe designed for cats.
Thank makes a little bit more sense. Thanks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats