Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Do you have a preference?

I've had great cats that were both, but my last one had longer hair so I do tend to like floofy cats with bush tails and all. Might be a little more work in grooming and cleaning up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
No preference.

I've always had both.

My current fluffy sheds less than my short hairs.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
No preference. We choose a cat based on personality. Color/gender/length of hair doesn't matter to us.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
No preference with me either. In all my Cat-Guardian career I've never actually gone out and 'chosen' a cat (and neither did my late wife). They always found their way to us in other ways. I can honestly say that if I ever went out to pick a cat the coat style would probably not figure into it very much at all. That said, I do find long-haired cats attractive in a way, just not something I would consider all that important.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
I just remembered something based on cat dad's response. When I was going through a divorce, I wanted to adopt a cat. One of my sister's in laws had a stray litter of cats. I got the kitten no one wanted because he had short hair (all the rest in the litter had long hair) and adopted him sight unseen.

This became our Tucker, who, IMO was the most loving and devoted cat. Their loss = our major gain!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:46 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Fluffy ones lived with us for a long time. There were no kittens to be had within an hour's drive when we moved and SO decided that a house with no cats is empty about six months after TwoStep left us.
30 years or tortoise cats and we came home with two death row candidates. ChaCha - half Bengal, half squirrel bait and front declawed which took us a while to find out. Coat as short as it can get, shiny, silky, slick and does she shed up a storm! ShadowCat - a tortie who apparently lived in a dumpster between a Mexican restaurant and a break shop (at least by her only junk food which is Doritos Jacked and a good sniff of garage hands) who now has a coat that is nothing but think and shiny.
Both are characters, keep us on our toes and leave enough hair for Esmeralda, our fictions third cat
Try this - I had elbow long straight hair and met SO in public with no prewarning with short short curls. He kept me
Please let them pick you and keep an open mind. Looking at ChaCha sleeping like a kitten with one of her crippled front paws covering her eyes balled up in a cat tree perch next to me - .... .

Old 04-26-2015, 05:39 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
We adopted three kittens from the same litter. Two of them (Molly and The Ball S**k) are grey and white short haired. Muffy is also grey and white, but long haired and very fluffy with a plume tail. Other than color, she looks nothing like her siblings. She was the kitten we (youngest daughter and I) chose, because of her fluffy coat, but when DH saw her siblings, he said "We can't split these guys up". So they all came home with us (to the disdain of our older cat, Bertha).

Old 04-26-2015, 06:55 AM

576 posts, read 422,213 times
I wouldnt say I have a preference, Ive had both. That said I do currently have two fluffy cats (part norwegian forrest cats) which are provably the most beautiful cats Ive ever had.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I've had both as well but now after 13 years with two Ragdolls, I don't think I could live without a long haired Ragdoll again. But we usually let strays or rescues pick us no matter what they look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats