Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times

Advertisements

We adopted our cat as a kitten 7 years ago. At the time we had another cat who she got along with very well and played with all the time. That cat passed away about 4 years ago; we didn't get another. Well, now she is completely and ridiculously terrified of other cats. We have a lot of strays on our block and though our cat goes outside (backyard only, can't/doesn't want/too afraid to leave) she's never had a direct encounter with one. She has seem them walking on the roof or fence and they stare at her on occasion, but they leave her alone (most of these "strays" were dumped when neighbors moved and are friendly-ish, spayed/neutered).

For some reason she is deathly afraid of them (they are not out there every day; she may see one or two a week, otherwise she loves being outside, begs to go out there) and has literally pooped on herself during fits of hysteria. She woke us up at 5am the other day, screaming and howling hysterically because she was sitting in the window and a stray cat was outside looking at her . She also has gotten jumpy around us and has attempted to scratch us and scares the kids . I probably wouldn't care so much as we don't plan to get another cat, but her behavior has gotten gross and disruptive and I feel bad for her. I know what it's like to have anxiety and I don't want her to live in constant fear. Any advice on how to help her???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Keep your cat inside, first of all and most importantly. She's not afraid of cats; she's anxious over strange cats in what she sees as her territory. If she's not in the yard, she won't see the strays as often.

Second, take her to the vet to make sure there's no physical reason for her behavior.

Third, make your yard inhospitable to the strays so they stay away and don't terrorize your cat.

Try a Feliway diffuser, too; that might help her calm down until you can reduce the stray cats in your yard.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM

Here are some links that might help:

Cat Repellent - How to Keep Felines Away From Your Yard

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...-out-your-yard

How to Deter Cats - Alley Cat Allies

Old 07-31-2015, 03:32 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Keep your cat inside, first of all and most importantly. She's not afraid of cats; she's anxious over strange cats in what she sees as her territory. If she's not in the yard, she won't see the strays as often.

Second, take her to the vet to make sure there's no physical reason for her behavior.

Third, make your yard inhospitable to the strays so they stay away and don't terrorize your cat.

Try a Feliway diffuser, too; that might help her calm down until you can reduce the stray cats in your yard.

Good luck.

Okay.... I don't think you read my post very clearly. She has never been "terrorized" by the strays, they seriously just look at her. They don't come into the yard either as they dont want to deal with her crazy ass or the dogs. She also loses it when they look at her from outside the window and she is inside, so forcing her indoors 100% of the time won't fix it. She goes outside to use the bathroom, we can't have a box indoors. She is fine and perfectly happy during the short periods she spends outside, safe in the backyard, unless she sees a cat, then she immediately goes in complete hysterics. 0-60 in two seconds flat.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Okay.... I don't think you read my post very clearly. She has never been "terrorized" by the strays, they seriously just look at her. They don't come into the yard either as they dont want to deal with her crazy ass or the dogs. She also loses it when they look at her from outside the window and she is inside, so forcing her indoors 100% of the time won't fix it. She goes outside to use the bathroom, we can't have a box indoors. She is fine and perfectly happy during the short periods she spends outside, safe in the backyard, unless she sees a cat, then she immediately goes in complete hysterics. 0-60 in two seconds flat.
Usually I'm not a fan of medicating cats for these types of behavioral issues, except in extreme cases. You might consider talking it over with your vet. If your cat is as freaked out as you describe, then the long-term effects of that much stress could damage her health.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM

And you didn't read my post very clearly ... *smh*

If she's reacting to the sight of other cats the way you say she is, she is terrorized.

You must keep other cats away from your yard and out of her sight, or she'll continue doing what she's doing (unless there's some health issue that's causing her behavior. You need to have her checked out).

Did you read any of the links I provided for you?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Usually I'm not a fan of medicating cats for these types of behavioral issues, except in extreme cases. You might consider talking it over with your vet. If your cat is as freaked out as you describe, then the long-term effects of that much stress could damage her health.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree with cat dad here. Her reactions seem quite extreme.

Our oldest cat Benny has been on busperone (sp), an anti anxiety medication, for a number of years for the same reason. He would pull out his fur on his sides and belly. (Of course, we had him checked several times at the vet--no medical issue.) When we got a new washing machine downstairs, he was so freaked out he wouldn't go down there for a week! That was when we decided to talk to our vet about medication. It's worked wonders and he is much more confident now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats