Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times

Advertisements

Oh, she doesn't look too bad. Just a little on the thin side and a little beat up. She seems alert enough to have her photo taken. I bet you once she is cleaned up and fatten up, she is going to look like a different cat!

One quick note about the feeding. Go slow. I know it's tempting to dump a feast in front of her. But if she has been starving, or ate a lot of bad food prior, you will upset her tummy if going too fast and too much. Pate is good, but the gravy kind helps put some weight in her. Add some tuna juice to wet her appetite if needed. Feed in small portions, throughout the day, 4 -5 times. Then increase portions slowly, 3-4 times a day. You may also want to clip her back nails while grooming. Some older cats have trouble cleaning themselves, including peeling off any extra layers of nail that may get stuck in there. I use a regular nail clipper, clip the tip (white area), no need to clip too much. If there were layers stuck in there, by clipping the tip, you should see the layers coming out and you can gently remove them.

And yes, keep the cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Stick to the pate, especially if she likes it. Much the best for her! I see they haven't been around asking have you seen their cat. Just confirms what I first thought, they put her out to die.

Well done!

Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
OMG, bless your heart for helping this cat!

ITA with cheese nugget in starting slowly with meals. You probably want to get her blood work done too. And bring in a stool sample--she may have picked up a parasite from being outdoors.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Please keep the cat. The neighbors don't deserve her and have constructively abandoned her. You don't want her to end up like the dog did, do you? BTW, I've done the same myself, so I guess I'm prejudiced!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,671 times
So glad your family is giving her the love and attention she's probably never gotten, the poor girl!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Roxy is an absolutely beautiful cat! She does have that look of Hope in her eyes, that she cannot believe her good fortune, and it is a well-deserved good fortune!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
One more 'Keep the kitty' vote. Thank you OP for showing compassion, decency and common sense. Gave my own fur baby extra hugs and treats today after reading this. Not ashamed to say this made me cry.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I see they haven't been around asking have you seen their cat. Just confirms what I first thought, they put her out to die.
It could be. But to be 100% fair, the neighbor herself is apparently not home. Other cars have come for an hour or two and gone. Those are probably her kids, doing their laundry or something. And her one daughter has spent the night there. But the actual neighbor, we haven't seen. Certainly none of the kids has done anything about the missing cat, if they've even noticed. And it could be one of them put her out, or saw her go out and didn't care. But, hard to say at this point. They're only in their 20s and probably oblivious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
One quick note about the feeding. Go slow. I know it's tempting to dump a feast in front of her. But if she has been starving, or ate a lot of bad food prior, you will upset her tummy if going too fast and too much.
Yes, the first night we had her she ate way too much and threw up. Since then, we've just been giving her a little bit at a time. It's hard when a cat gobbles up their food and looks for more, but you feel like they should wait a little while! I've had older cats, though none got to the age of 18, so I recognize some of the symptoms. She's very hungry and loves to eat, but is so thin and bony--probably hyperthyroid. And she drinks quite a bit of water on top of the wet food and urinates a lot, so her kidneys may not be so good. Today I saw her wash her face for the first time, but I don't think she's grooming herself much. The metal bristle brush we have seems to hurt her, so I'm going to try a softer brush. And the claw clipping is a good idea! We have a claw clipper for our other cats so I can use that.

Today we left the bathroom door open for a few minutes, and Roxy came slowly out into the hall, walked a few feet and looked into the kitchen, and made a U-turn back into the bathroom. But she is curious, that's a good sign.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
She's very pretty. Another vote for keeping her!

Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Today we left the bathroom door open for a few minutes, and Roxy came slowly out into the hall, walked a few feet and looked into the kitchen, and made a U-turn back into the bathroom. But she is curious, that's a good sign.
Oh that is great news! Please keep posting updates. This thread is so heartwarming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats