Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

We rescued this boy 10 years ago, our sweet curious orange tabby boy. He had a lot of issues as a kitten (mostly parasites and eye problems) but we quickly got him all fixed up. Since that time he has been very healthy, aside from a bad bout of fleas one summer when his regular applications of Frontline suddenly stopped working and we had to find a new solution for flea treatments. During that summer we also learned he is allergic to flea bites. When the Frontline stopped working some of his fur started falling off (being scratched or cleaned off) around his tail and exposed a really nasty red rash due to the flea bites. It was horrible, but quickly resolved. We use comfortis for him now and it has worked very well for him.

So a few days ago he began breathing strangely. You could see his sides caving in as he was breathing, and he was breathing more rapidly than normal especially after he would jump up or down from someplace. Sometimes his mouth would open as he would breath as if he was gasping for air. So we took him in to see his good vet that we love.

The vet originally thought asthma, but wanted to do an x-ray just in case. I'm very glad we did the x-ray. It is not asthma that our cat has, it's something called "chylothorax". Basically, it is fluid building up in the chest cavity. This makes it so that there is very little room for the lungs to expand making it very difficult for proper breathing.

We don't know what caused this. The vet removed 200 ml of the fluid (the most he had ever removed from a cat, he said) and also took some blood for testing and we are waiting on lab results. The vet showed us the fluid, and it was a milky pink color. He called it "chylothorax" and said it was lymph fluid with no odor.

Now that the fluid has been removed, he seems much more comfortable and seems more like his old self. He doesn't have much of an appetite and he is sleeping a lot more, but he is breathing normally and with about 26 breaths per minute which the vet said is good. (Before, he was breathing around 60 breaths per minute which is not good at all.)

I really don't know why I am sharing this here... except that I am so worried about our boy and wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Aside from the heartache and all the emotion we are going through, we are also concerned financially. Yesterday's vet bill was over a thousand dollars - and we don't even know what is causing this. Thevet said the fluid will return and that removing it was only a temporary and short-term solution while we try to determine the cause.

My heart hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Sorry you're having to go through this. I hope they can find out what's causing the problem.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:34 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Thanks for sharing. Its obvious you love your cat. I hope he is ok. Keep us updated.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We rescued this boy 10 years ago, our sweet curious orange tabby boy. He had a lot of issues as a kitten (mostly parasites and eye problems) but we quickly got him all fixed up. Since that time he has been very healthy, aside from a bad bout of fleas one summer when his regular applications of Frontline suddenly stopped working and we had to find a new solution for flea treatments. During that summer we also learned he is allergic to flea bites. When the Frontline stopped working some of his fur started falling off (being scratched or cleaned off) around his tail and exposed a really nasty red rash due to the flea bites. It was horrible, but quickly resolved. We use comfortis for him now and it has worked very well for him.

So a few days ago he began breathing strangely. You could see his sides caving in as he was breathing, and he was breathing more rapidly than normal especially after he would jump up or down from someplace. Sometimes his mouth would open as he would breath as if he was gasping for air. So we took him in to see his good vet that we love.

The vet originally thought asthma, but wanted to do an x-ray just in case. I'm very glad we did the x-ray. It is not asthma that our cat has, it's something called "chylothorax". Basically, it is fluid building up in the chest cavity. This makes it so that there is very little room for the lungs to expand making it very difficult for proper breathing.

We don't know what caused this. The vet removed 200 ml of the fluid (the most he had ever removed from a cat, he said) and also took some blood for testing and we are waiting on lab results. The vet showed us the fluid, and it was a milky pink color. He called it "chylothorax" and said it was lymph fluid with no odor.

Now that the fluid has been removed, he seems much more comfortable and seems more like his old self. He doesn't have much of an appetite and he is sleeping a lot more, but he is breathing normally and with about 26 breaths per minute which the vet said is good. (Before, he was breathing around 60 breaths per minute which is not good at all.)

I really don't know why I am sharing this here... except that I am so worried about our boy and wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Aside from the heartache and all the emotion we are going through, we are also concerned financially. Yesterday's vet bill was over a thousand dollars - and we don't even know what is causing this. Thevet said the fluid will return and that removing it was only a temporary and short-term solution while we try to determine the cause.

My heart hurts.
Just google or look up this condition..and my heart goes out to you having your "Furbuddy" going thru this..So anyway..I did and found a good site..however it's pretty long and a lot of reading..so did that for you and picked out some relevant things that may help you while you await the blood test results. Oh yeah..Your Vet appears to have done all the right things..!! Yikes such a lot of fluid removed !! almost 7 ounces...Sure bet he ( BTW what is his name?) felt better after that load was removed!!

The medical management of idiopathic chylothorax in a domestic long-haired cat

a couple of snips~~

Quote:
The owner was instructed to maintain the cat on its current low fat diet. The dietary management of a cat with chylothorax initially involves meeting the animals’s caloric needs. These animals are often in a state of negative energy balance, as they are losing important nutrients into their thoracic cavity and are frequently anorexic (1). Once the animal is eating, an important step in limiting this disease is in providing it with a quality low fat diet. Feeding a low-fat diet may decrease the fat within the pleural effusion; this, in turn, may improve fluid reabsorption from the thoracic cavity and limit chyle accumulation (2).
Quote:
A chylothorax left untreated, or which cannot be controlled through medical or surgical management, may result in numerous adversities for the patient. Repeated drainage of a chylothorax accompanied by the ongoing fluid loss into the thorax will often lead to a dehydrated animal (3). In addition, lipids, proteins, and fat-soluble vitamins are lost, which may result in weight loss and emaciation due to caloric and nutrient depletion. Other serious consequences of ongoing chyle loss are electrolyte imbalances (hyponatremia, hyperkalemia), possible infections secondary to a compromised immune system, and lymphopenia (4). Lymphopenia is considered to be the most common hematological abnormality occurring with chylothorax (5). It was the only abnormality noted on the hematologic examination of our cat, likely related partially to a stress response, in addition to some loss into the thoracic cavity.
I sure wish that your precious fur buddy recovers..but please do find out how to alter his diet to help replace those nutrients that get depleted with this condition

Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM

Thank you so much. I am so sad. On the one hand I want to read and study and learn everything I can but on the other hand the more I learn the more heartbreaking it is and I just cry and so I want to go cuddle up with him and enjoy naps with him while I still can. He is sleeping in his cat tree right now in our sunny living room window. I would curl up in the tree with him if I could.

He has lost weight, two pounds since he visited the vet on his last appointment last year. He was a little overweight so at first I wasn't so very worried about the weight loss but now I am worried.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 PM

He is sleeping on his favorite sweater now. I have been counting his breaths and also checking his gums and eyes - the vet said if they turn white or blue to bring him back in. So far they are still pink.

I feel bad because I was eating a sandwich earlier and he wanted to come up and eat some of my sandwich but I didn't let him. I wanted to let him, but I don't normally allow my pets to eat people food because we have had bad things happen in the past when we have done this and our vet has told us it is not a good thing to do. He doesn't usually beg for food like this, but he did today... When someone is sick you just want to let them do anything they want, but that's not really the best thing.

Thank you everyone for listening/reading and the kind support.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Thank you so much. I am so sad. On the one hand I want to read and study and learn everything I can but on the other hand the more I learn the more heartbreaking it is and I just cry and so I want to go cuddle up with him and enjoy naps with him while I still can. He is sleeping in his cat tree right now in our sunny living room window. I would curl up in the tree with him if I could.

He has lost weight, two pounds since he visited the vet on his last appointment last year. He was a little overweight so at first I wasn't so very worried about the weight loss but now I am worried.
Oh you are so welcome...I was going to suggest to really take one day at a time..enjoy it to the fullest..because both you and I know..animals are not demanding..they ( unlike human counterparts) don't whine or complain..and live and enjoy their environment/loved ones..BUT of course..when you are so close to them..you observe when they are not acting usual...But never fear..your fur baby isn't blaming you for anything that comes his way..BUT you are a human often try to analyze what your buddy is thinking or feeling....Willing to bet, he will be purring when does snuggle..He's obviously fairly independent ( cat's way) but they are also very aware you are there...Energy is felt by them..and in a way.they often sense your fears or emotions...

The animal kingdom is based on instinctual responses.They do know when they are loved, respected and also remember when you help them..They maybe not able to talk..but their eye's and body language speaks volumes!!

I truly would love to hear about the results of those blood tests..and treatment plan and what your outlook is...Again..Best advice!! Just like Fur-BUD..does already..TAKE one day at a time.celebrate each day..and enjoy!! Make memories that will be cherished....

I can only speak to this when I realize my fur-buddy ( Griffey-Jack Russel) had a stroke..gave myself over 2 months to deal with letting him go..He was a treasure ..but It was selfish of me and once I realized/accepted it..I made arrangements..This is how I know just how you feel and the fears you are dealing with...Never mind I'm a trauma nurse who knows medical things..BUT I too hated to give up.. Keep fighting hunny bunny..as you want you best for him.. {{{Hugs}}}

Old 09-30-2015, 05:43 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'm so sorry your cat is ill. Give him a pet for me.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Just wanted to add my concern & please keep us posted as you can. But don't neglect time spent nursing him to health to be on here, He is FIRST priority -- we are second.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Sending good thoughts for your precious boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats