Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times

Advertisements

Took my cat into our regular vet after a few days of not eating or drinking. Vet diagnosed kidney failure, anemia, jaundice. She recommends taking him to an emergency facility which my partner will do today. This happened really quickly, is it possible he was poisoned? He does go outside but we've never had a problem before. Can kidney failure be "hiding" for a long time before it is detected? My partner said both he and our vet noticed something hard in his intestines, like a blockage. The vet said a few days of not eating was not the cause of his problems. The lack of appetite was a symptom of his underlying problems.

I just don't know if he will pull through, and I blame myself for not getting him to the vet sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
I hope others will respond, but my understanding is that there are usually signs of earlier kidney disease (increased water consumption and increased urination). The "standard" blood work can't diagnose kidney disease until it is rather advanced (though there are new blood tests that are just coming onto the market that are supposed to be much better. They aren't available everywhere yet.)

It is never a good sign if cats don't eat for more than 24 hours. In fact, it can become dangerous quickly because cats' livers will start to "digest" themselves and cause serious problems.

There is a small chance your cat may have been poisoned, but unfortunately it isn't impossible for him to be in kidney failure for other reasons too. I hope you get some information at the ER vets.

I'm so sorry this is happening, but please don't beat yourself up about it. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I'm so sorry this is happening, but please don't beat yourself up about it. Please keep us posted.
Thank you. Is it really hard not to play the what if game. Right now Duke is at the emergency vet with my partner. It has been an hour and no update. I know my partner will update me if there is any good news.

EDIT: Partner says they are trying to stabilize Duke. They think it could be an infection or cancer but won't know for a while.

Last edited by zitsky; 10-07-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Thank you. Is it really hard not to play the what if game. Right now Duke is at the emergency vet with my partner. It has been an hour and no update. I know my partner will update me if there is any good news.
I can't tell you how many times I've beat myself up about cat decisions. Try to remind yourself you did the best you could at that time, and move forward.

Waiting for news is the WORST. Crossing my fingers that you'll get some information soon.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Paws crossed here as well.

Wishing for a good outcome for you.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Some sad news. We had to decide to put down our cat today. He was obviously suffering, crying in a way I've never heard him cry. The vet school we took him to found several nodules but couldn't say it was cancer. My partner who is trained in human surgical pathology was pretty convinced that our Duke had cancer.

I was happy that I cancelled a work meeting to be with Duke and my partner before he passed. We made the hard decision to let him go and end his obvious suffering.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Some sad news. We had to decide to put down our cat today. He was obviously suffering, crying in a way I've never heard him cry. The vet school we took him to found several nodules but couldn't say it was cancer. My partner who is trained in human surgical pathology was pretty convinced that our Duke had cancer.

I was happy that I cancelled a work meeting to be with Duke and my partner before he passed. We made the hard decision to let him go and end his obvious suffering.
Sorry to hear that. It's really awful when it happens so suddenly like that. My ex's chocolate lab got pancreatitis. She started vomiting and not eating on Wednesday, and by Friday she had died. Appeared 100% healthy before that. She was only 6.

I'm sorry for your loss. But it seems like Duke had a good life where he was well-taken care of, and he's in a better place now and no longer in pain.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Sorry to hear that. It's really awful when it happens so suddenly like that. My ex's chocolate lab got pancreatitis. She started vomiting and not eating on Wednesday, and by Friday she had died. Appeared 100% healthy before that. She was only 6.

I'm sorry for your loss. But it seems like Duke had a good life where he was well-taken care of, and he's in a better place now and no longer in pain.
It was very sudden with our Duke. Just a few days of obvious symptoms and discomfort. I feel fine then I get waves of grief that come over me. I haven't been crying much, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I look at his water fountain in the corner and think "I guess I'll have to do something with that". Or his bed or his rubber pet snake. I will never have a cat that jumps on my back while I'm cleaning the litter box and jumps up on the washer/dryer. I might never have another cat that likes to hunt and catch snakes.

We are trying to figure out if his "brother" knows that Duke is gone. Donald is a funny cat but a little slow I think, so it's hard to tell if he knows that anything is wrong. We know he will be lonely the next time we go on vacation.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
[quote=zitsky;41472846]Took my cat into our regular vet after a few days of not eating or drinking. Vet diagnosed kidney failure, anemia, jaundice. She recommends taking him to an emergency facility which my partner will do today. This happened really quickly, is it possible he was poisoned? He does go outside but we've never had a problem before. Can kidney failure be "hiding" for a long time before it is detected? My partner said both he and our vet noticed something hard in his intestines, like a blockage. The vet said a few days of not eating was not the cause of his problems. The lack of appetite was a symptom of his underlying problems.

I just don't know if he will pull through, and I blame myself for not getting him to the vet sooner.[/QU

Could be someone put out antifreeze and the cat drank it. Would create the symptoms. Have no idea where or what the blockage would be. Animals can get the same diseases humans do. If you are planning on keeping the cat you may be spending a large amount to keep it healthy.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Could be someone put out antifreeze and the cat drank it. Would create the symptoms. Have no idea where or what the blockage would be. Animals can get the same diseases humans do. If you are planning on keeping the cat you may be spending a large amount to keep it healthy.
It's most likely cancer, not poison. But as you can imagine, there are a lot of us who would open our wallets if it meant we could save a beloved pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats