Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times

Advertisements

Change the the of feeder to a suet /seed feeder so there are no seed that fall to the ground.
Birds will still tempt the cat, and the cat will still attempt to catch birds, but it will diminish the process .
Birds are not entirely ignorant concerning the cat ,it's a game they hope to win and ,many cats aren't that quick .
Few that are, beat the odds of beating the tease and catching the prize.
Remember too that same cat is probably killing mice and rats too in the neighborhood
If any one had room to complain ,I the greater because I have cats in my neighborhood that have killed my chickens some through the chain link fence .
I have bird feeders as well ,BUT, I hate mice and rats far more.

If the cat is killing for sport, which is common ,then I might take more permanent action .
On the other hand, if the cat is consuming the "food" it is a matter of survival and circle of life, I do not interrupt .
It's life .
Hawks and owls take any thing that moves including cats and other birds ,and some smaller birds will take on hawks and ravens and chase them for miles relentlessly .
As cruel as it sounds these are not caged animals forced to play the game ,they do it knowing the odds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Change the the of feeder to a suet /seed feeder so there are no seed that fall to the ground.
That's a good suggestion. It would be a help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
This same cat pounced on a grosbeak that was feeding off of our sunflowers. Bit his head off and left the rest of it for my children to find.

Do you think I should remove all of our seed-producing flowers too???
Of course not. Your sarcasm is unwarranted, but I really can't say anything else without being "off topic" again.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
T

I plan to try my best to locate his rightful owner and have a friendly conversation. Hopefully they will feel compelled to keep their pet indoors with the knowledge of what he is up to when they open their door and let him out. If they won't I have found several deterrent-oriented devices online I will try.

One of the things I would inquire with his owner about is if he is neutered. If he is not and we continue to see him at our back door I would not think it wrong at all to take him in and have that done. Under the circumstances, I think it would be the right thing to do for this cat, our bird population -- both fed and not fed by humans -- and our entire neighborhood.

Do you want to argue the pros and cons of spaying and neutering also?
I wouldn't wait on the owner too long. If its a female it will be pregnant soon. If its a male you can tell yourself unless its young. If/When you take it in have the vets take a small tip out across one ear. This is the "universal" sign that a cat has been neutered.

And no, I don't see anything wrong with neutering a wandering cat. Why there aren't laws about it I dont understand.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 AM

698 posts, read 2,842,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I wouldn't wait on the owner too long. If its a female it will be pregnant soon. If its a male you can tell yourself unless its young. If/When you take it in have the vets take a small tip out across one ear. This is the "universal" sign that a cat has been neutered.

And no, I don't see anything wrong with neutering a wandering cat. Why there aren't laws about it I dont understand.
Thank you for the support. I'm actually worried about him. I didn't see him for a couple days and now there is a bad smell around our yard like something died.

We do have all kinds of wildlife in the woods so it could be anything. I don't remember hearing shots but I haven't been home a lot in the last couple days.

Hope the little dickens is ok!

Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 AM

352 posts, read 285,853 times
Well, if it was your neighbor it should raise a red flag to you and anyone else in the proximity of this creep. There could be some mental illness going on that should be addressed.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
We used to have about 4-5 cats whose owners let roam the neighborhood killing whatever they came across.

Then we had some coyotes move in, and a bobcat and some fox.....

All of the roaming cats are now dead except one that I see but I'm pretty sure he's just a daytime cat that goes in at night.

You leave you cat or smaller dog out at night unsupervised in my suburban neighborhood it's going to get eaten.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:21 PM

88 posts, read 128,475 times
I would get some sort of repellent that you can purchase in a retail store. I hear that blood meal can sometimes work. Or plant catnip in a far corner to lure the cats away from the feeder. If you have a dog, you can tie the dog out near the feeder and it could mark the area and scare the cat, soon the cat would avoid the area.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:50 PM

352 posts, read 285,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Then we had some coyotes move in, and a bobcat and some fox.....

You leave you cat or smaller dog out at night unsupervised in my suburban neighborhood it's going to get eaten.
There also shouldn't be any fox, deer, squirrels, rabbits, opossums, ground nesting birds, any and all wildlife because coyotes don't have predators around to keep their numbers down. And they do kill any size dog when they are in a pack. I used to go watch the wildlife at a park near me and since the introduction of coyotes there is no wildlife left. We checked out the dens in a wooded area behind the park and there were numerous dead foxes and a raccoon laying near the dens.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My cats are indoor-only and this is one of the reasons why. And now recently, bobcats have been spotted and several neighbor's cats have gone missing. I'm guessing the coyotes will be back any day now also.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
..... I used to go watch the wildlife at a park near me and since the introduction of coyotes there is no wildlife left. We checked out the dens in a wooded area behind the park and there were numerous dead foxes and a raccoon laying near the dens.
You should take pics of this and report it to your wildlife service. They may not know what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats