Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,122 times

Advertisements

I have 4 cats, 3 male, one female. The female started to urniate everywhere, and I mean everywhere---bed, clothes, anything on the floor, bags, laundry, yeech!

We took her to the vet, ruled out UTI. The vet suggested prozac, said she's probably stressed. We lost a cat back in Oct, he was PTS due to age and multiple health problems. That was her "companion cat" they were closely bonded, I know she misses him. Also, my dh took a job in another city, so he's only home weekends. In short, there's been a lot of stress here, and probably the kitty is reacting to it. She wants to sleep with me now, and doesn't want the other cats on the bed.

We got the prozac today, will start it tomorrow. Has anyone had a cat on Prozac, and did it help? Meanwhile, I keep her confined to one room, but that stresses her out even more, she wants to sleep with me, which is fine, but she doesn't want any other cats on the bed, hisses and fights them off, then, if they do get on the bed, she pees on it. I obviously can't put up with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Haven't used prozac specifically but we've used other behavior-altering drugs in the past for an anxiety cat, and it really does help in his case to spend a few months on the drugs to 'reboot the kitty'.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:28 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
I haven't had to use it myself, but there are situations where only anti-anxiety meds are going to work - where the behaviour isn't going to respond to more traditional approaches.

However, most anti-anxiety meds should be combined with behaviour modification techniques. A lot of vets seem to leave this out of the whole picture - that the drugs should be a means to an end, but not an end by themselves.

The meds - and the way they act - allow patterns of unwanted behaviour to be broken and that's where the second part of the equation comes in. (Ignore the title that comes up in this link - it always does this, but it should actually read "Overcoming Stress".)

Re-Directed Aggression Towards Other Cats

Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,379 times
Your kitty is a headcase...lol

Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM

214 posts, read 757,777 times
I haven't used prozac but I bought an OTC called rescue remedy from Whole Foods that worked WONDERS with my pee-everywhere-but-the-box cat.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 13,941 times
Started my kitty on Prozac after he got crazy when he saw an outside cat. Starting attacking my other two cats as if they were strangers (they grew up together). Been on Prozac since November 10th and it is a wonder drug! Now he licks the other cats and hangs out and purrs all day. I took him off after one month to experiment whether or not he still needed it and he got aggressive again. I put him back on it and peace reigns again in our household. I just worry about side effects.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori1057 View Post
I took him off after one month to experiment whether or not he still needed it and he got aggressive again. I put him back on it and peace reigns again in our household. I just worry about side effects.
Re-directed aggression is a common phenomena among cats. It can be dealt with.

This is really where I feel a lot of vets let their clients down - "pop the pill and it will all be well". The meds are brilliant stuff - no doubt about it - and in certain cases they're the only "means to an end". But they should be used as a "vehicle" to get to the end (i.e. a happily co-existing multi-cat household) and not as the end themselves. There should also be a behavioural modification program in place so that the cat can be weaned the meds. Without trying to modify the cats behaviour (and the meds allow this to happen) there's not going to be any change. Why would there be? Once the cat is off the meds, all the feelings of anxiety or aggression or whatever it may originally have been are just going to come flooding back.

An owner needs to work on changing that while the cat is on the meds so the cat can come off the meds.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 25,009 times
I just had the same thing happen to me - my girl cat was always a very nervous girl. She's had a history of bladder infections, and she is now 6 years old. We added a new cat in October - things were going fine. Then she got a bladder infection and began peeing everywhere - on clothing on the floor, on the carpet, on furniture - horrific. We keep our home IMMACULATE, so this is huge stress on us and we are simply horrified. We had her on antibiotics for a month, and she was finally diagnosed as having a stress-related bladder condition. The only recommended course was Prozac - which I was not at all happy about. But I truly had no other option. We got the prescription, and gave her .05 mg a day (1/2 a pill crushed in wet food). Things immediately improved. So after about 3 weeks, we backed her off to .025, and then the peeing started again. So I have put her back on .05 and it looks like we are in this for a while :-( But we have no other choice. When I make a lifetime choice of a cat - it is just that. So I pray this will work and will keep it up for several months and then try to back off again - I hope this works. Good luck and know that as a "last resort" this is truly one of the best ones you can try.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 25,009 times
Angry Not funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Your kitty is a headcase...lol
Marylee54 has a very serious situation she is dealing with. Instead of dropping her cat off at a shelter, she is trying to get help and correct things positively. Please don't make fun of other people's problems, especially when they are trying so hard to make responsible decisions and also take their responsibilities and commitments, seriously. Not funny.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,943 times
Is there an all natural remedy for cat spraying?we have multiple cats in the house (5) and they are driving me crazy..I clean and clean to no aveil..they just keep pn peeing..its getting worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats