Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times

Advertisements

I want to thank everyone for the information and the educational discussion. If you've read the pics thread, you'll know that I recently adopted a beautiful little spotted tabby bengal. She's 3 1/2 months old and our other cats are 16 and 17. The older cats have both been declawed in the front. When we declawed the others, (1999/2000), we had never heard of the horrors of declawing. One cat is very playful with his paws and I think he did quite well with the procedure. The other cat did not do well. Either way, I realize this leads to many issues (even arthritis in the shoulders due to adjustments in motions).

The woman we adopted little Clea from recently told us that she does not support declawing and made us promise. Obviously, it's an honor system because we won't see her again. However, we did some research and read through this thread. We will uphold our promise, but we will also never again consider declawing. Here are some things we will do instead:

1. Trim nails weekly/bi-weekly. Get the kitten used to this activity and make a positive experience, early in her life.
2. Protect the house. I found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Place multiple scratching posts with catnip in places she's most likely to scratch.
4. Train her to use her claws carefully with the other cats and us.

I think throw blankets can also help. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
On behalf of any cats that may come your way in the future, that's probably the right decision for you to make.

Humans have done many things in the past that were considered acceptable & ok, but that doesn't mean it really was. You can't use prior practices to justify doing something you now know to be harmful.
Cats had this done for decades and they were just fine. I'm not going to let this particular issue rest.. I'm going to argue logically the pro-declawing argument. I believe a cat can lead a completely happy life if they are declawed at the same time they are spayed, and that these arguments are more hearsay than actual facts about how the cat is traumatized by the experience. Humans take their own lives and project them onto animals assuming animals would feel the same way when it's not necessarily the case. I doubt the cat even notices after they adjust to it. It's not like they are sentient. I don't believe there is anything particularly wrong with declawing and it's certainly better than screaming at people not to own cats and rather let them sit at animal shelters to get euthanized.

They are begging people to adopt cats in my area. I do plan to get a kitten, and I will get it declawed at the same time it's spayed assuming I can find someone who does it. I will get one from the humane society, or maybe I'll find one that's been declawed by someone else already. I don't buy the argument it traumatizes cats, and as long as it's legal I will choose to exercise my choice as I wish. The cat will otherwise have a happy home and get a lot of love. It will get the litterbox emptied daily and will not have problems getting outside and having to deal with predators. If I can't find people who declaw or get one already declawed, I will not get one. I don't buy your opinions, though I respect them. More power to you for having your cats keep their claws.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-27-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-27-2016, 03:24 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Cats had this done for decades and they were just fine. I'm not going to let this particular issue rest.. I'm going to argue logically the pro-declawing argument. I believe a cat can lead a completely happy life if they are declawed at the same time they are spayed, and that these arguments are more hearsay than actual facts about how the cat is traumatized by the experience. Humans take their own lives and project them onto animals assuming animals would feel the same way when it's not necessarily the case. I doubt the cat even notices after they adjust to it. It's not like they are sentient. I don't believe there is anything particularly wrong with declawing and it's certainly better than screaming at people not to own cats and rather let them sit at animal shelters to get euthanized.

They are begging people to adopt cats in my area. I do plan to get a kitten, and I will get it declawed at the same time it's spayed assuming I can find someone who does it. I will get one from the humane society, or maybe I'll find one that's been declawed by someone else already. I don't buy the argument it traumatizes cats, and as long as it's legal I will choose to exercise my choice as I wish. The cat will otherwise have a happy home and get a lot of love. It will get the litterbox emptied daily and will not have problems getting outside and having to deal with predators. If I can't find people who declaw or get one already declawed, I will not get one. I don't buy your opinions, though I respect them. More power to you for having your cats keep their claws.
Why? Why do you feel the need have a cat with amputated toes?

Declawing causes lifetime complications. The research is there, it is known now how detrimental it is to the cat.

Declawing, so called, is actually amputation of the last toe digits. Bone, tendons,ligaments and nerves. Cats are digitigrade, they walk on their toes. When you cut off the toes, not only is the pain agonizing for weeks, even after they "heal" there are many complications, some just happen naturally, because the cat is crippled.

Yes, cutting or burning off the toes of a cat cripples them. For life. Imagine having your fingers cut off and having to walk on the stumps, and jump and dig in gravel three times a day, for the rest of your life. You think that doesn't bother the cat? Do you really believe that cats don't feel pain?

Since cats walk on those toes, when you cut them off, what's left is a bone that was never meant to bear weight. An unprotected bone. So now, everything in the cat's body is misaligned. She can't walk correctly, or stretch properly or jump properly. She can't do anything her body was designed to do in the way it was designed to do it.

This causes discomfort and pain, usually in the form of early arthritis. For life. I know. I have a disabled foot which causes misalignment in my entire body. It makes my knees hips shoulders and back hurt. My neck too. But I don't go around moaning about it. I get on with life, just the way cats are forced to do. And cats, being prey animals, hide their pain instinctively. this is why people think cats are "fine".

They are not.

The toes may contract. The claws may regrow. Often pieces of bone are left under the pad, forcing the cat to walk on little bits of sharp edges all her life. Sometimes the claws grow back causing agonizing pain for the cat, most humans never even notice until they dump the cat for avoiding the litter box or biting. Behaviors that often disappear after the cat has paw repair surgery.

Laser declawing can cause deep bone burns that fester for years, along with the other complications already mentioned. For the life of the cat, or until he is dumped for the same behavior problems as mentioned above.

There is a whole veterinary specialty now called paw repair surgery. Vets who don't declaw, cleaning up the messes of vets who do.

There are several states in the process of making this illegal. No state bills have passed yet, but they will.

The USA and Canada are the only places in the civilized world who do this to cats. It is outlawed every where else.

By the way, the vets who declaw know all this. They are motivated by greed. More and more vets are opting not to do this mutilating surgery, but it's not enough. It needs to be banned so people can stop feeling like they need to amputate a cat's toes for the sake of a couch.

end cat declawing | animal welfare | The Paw Project

https://www.facebook.com/NewLeaseVets/

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-27-2016 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-27-2016, 04:58 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Catsmom I would like to think your post made a difference to stockwiz but it probably won't. There is nothing worse than a completely closed mind who won't even consider what someone else is trying to tell them.

I've never had a declawed cat except for one that was already declawed when I got him. I use cat trees and scratching posts and spritz them with a little water when they scratch the couch. Never had a problem.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:43 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

Cha-Cha is declawed, front only. We did not realize that when we adopted her off death-row. She was a cute toy until her owner realized that being half Bengal makes her high strung thus somewhat high maintenance. She is almost seven. You should see her when winter season sets in and she nurses her front paws. Or just when she bakes biscuits. My husband misses some of the respective parts. He can vocalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats