Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of articles about Displaced Aggression in cats as I try to learn techniques to best handle my cray-cray cat.

I've had her since she was 6 weeks old. She's now 6.5 yrs old. After my dog passed 5.5 years ago it's just been me and my cat, and she's an indoor-only cat and she is not around any other animals or humans. So yes, she's not well socialized at all. If someone comes to the house she'll run away and hide under my bed, and that's fine.

For general whinyness and aggression when the stray neighborhood cat comes to taunt her, I've been using a Feliway diffuser in my front hall for many months. My cat turns into a creature straight out of the Exorcist when she sees another cat and in these situations not even Feliway can calm her down. She's fine with birds and squirrels, it's just another cat will push that switch on in her brain.

I realized I cannot look at, talk to, or be anywhere near my cat when she gets on this aggression path. Last night I heard my cat starting to beat at the dining room and hallway windows through the closed blinds and then move the blinds aside and then ramp up the behavior. I (very mistakenly) called her name to try to get her distracted and away from the window and then I went out my front door right near that window to see if the neighborhood cat was there, closing the door behind me. I didn't see the cat; it will run away if I come out. My floorplan is open so there's no closing off those areas to her, unfortunately.

My cat was already in such a state of agitation though that when I opened my front door to come back inside, she would not let me back in my house! She was in pure attack mode - at me! She was attacking and I quickly retreated and closed the door. Usually I'm able to get back into the house with no problems and then I continue to ignore her, say nothing, and quietly go about my business and she'll calm down. This was a whole 'nother level of crazy aggression. She was completely out of her mind unable to recognize me, so I knew the only way I'd get back into my house would be to get to my side door, try to find a hidden key to my house, and enter that way. That's the way I normally come in and leave my house. Fortunately I was able to reenter my house and eventually get upstairs. Had I not had a spare key I don't know what I would have done.

To say I was upset is an understatement. I felt in serious danger for the first time, although this was certainly not the first time she has had displaced aggression, it was the worst ever. When I came back inside I said nothing, acted like I had just come in from my normal comings and goings, and ignored her. She heard me opening the fridge, putting food out for her, and normal noises. Then I was able to get upstairs.

It was an important lesson and reminder to not be in the path of my cat -or- attempt to talk to her or even look at her when she's gotten agitated. She's healthy and otherwise sweet, so there's not a medical cause for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I'm glad you were able to get back the in house, that must have been very frightening. I had a DA cat when I lived in a street level apartment in a city, one room apartment. Unfortunately there were a lot of cats on the street (my windows were level with the sidewalk) and he was upset a lot of the time.

What I did was -from a distance- gently drop a blanket over him. Once he was under the blanket I would gather him up, blanket and all and put him in the bathroom, setting him down oh so gently as he growled and mumbled under the blanket. I left the light off and the door ajar so he could come out when he was ready.

Often he would crouch there under the blanket for up to half an hour before coming out into the main room again. Sometimes he wouldn't come out at all, he would just curl up on top of the blanket in the bathroom and go to sleep.

Incidentally he wasn't like that in his early years. I used to travel with him and everything with no trouble. He developed asthma when he was about 5 though (my fault, I was a smoker, then, but after his diagnosis I never smoked in the house again -now ex smoker). The next time I went in for his pre-travel check up the vet suggested I sedate him for the plane trip. I never had before and he had always been fine in his under seat carrier. But the vet worried about an asthma attack on the plane. Sadly, I listened to that vet and the sedation changed him, permanently.

Eventually I did add other cats to the family, and once he adjusted to the additions he loved them (the other family cats not outside cats, but by then I had moved and he didn't have that exposure any more).

PS this was 30 years ago, no feliway or rescue remedy back then

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-18-2015 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 12:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
lottamoxie,

My feline family is currently three, all males, all rescues, all indoor only. My neighbor next door adopted a beautiful rescue female. This cat really has a "lotta moxie"; parades around the neighborhood like she owns it, and drives my kitties nuts. Although my three will sometimes tussle, nothing gets them as angry as seeing this girl.

I wanted to ask you if by any chance you use catnip? Any form- even the plastic balls, or the catnip laced treats? The reason I ask is that one of mine has a paradoxical reaction to it. I should say "had" because once I figured it out catnip is banned for all.

While I was in discovery mode regarding this I noticed that he would be aggressive to the other kitties but if I was first in the line of fire he would take it out on me. Growling, hissing, trying to bite and scratch.

There are a few things I have done and would consider in your situation. Feliway diffusers are good, and they also have a spray. Maybe you could spray the general area when you see the other cat nearby. There is also medication. My oldest is on Prozac. Another possibility is distraction with treats. You don't have to approach your kitty if you feel vulnerable- just toss them in her direction. Also, you might distract your kitty by spraying water with a mister about a foot above her head so that it is like a mist coming down on her. If you can do this without her directly seeing your action so much the better.

I would really caution you not to leave via your door to an area where your kitty can see you outside approaching the other cat (I'm not clear on whether you have contact with the other cat that your kitty can see- that can get a kitty very angry).

Best of luck!

Old 12-18-2015, 01:42 PM

Hi Alinka,

Thank you for the response.

Just to take these in order that you asked:

1. I have some dried catnip that is put on one scratching toy. My cat uses it occasionally, but doesn't react much to it, certainly nothing negative.

2. I do have the Feliway spray in addition and have sprayed that in the areas. I never see the stray cat before my own cat does (or maybe she hears that cat coming first), so spraying before my cat is aware of what's happening doesn't seem possible. But yes I do try and get that cat to run away which is easy peasy because that cat will not come within 30 ft of me and the moment it spots me it does run. The cat, however, will come right up to the window or on the porch or on the back deck to taunt my cat. I think the trick for me is to quietly leave my house using my side door, which my cat associates with me, can't see anything I'm doing, and just walking outside will scare the stray cat away.

3. Haven't tried any medication yet. I'm familiar with Prozac for felines.

4. I've tried the treat distraction but that didn't work and she adores her treats. Once she is agitated and starting to hiss, it's like a full steam locomotive and nothing works except to remove the stimulus (i.e. the other cat) and allow my cat to calm down. When I totally ignore my cat, that's the best, as it doesn't escalate her, so I either have to quietly go outside, saying nothing, acting like nothing is up, to see if the other cat is nearby, or turn on some outside lights to look, but never look at my cat or acknowledge her in any way.

5. I don't feel comfortable with spritzing her or near her with water or anything she may perceive as negative or punishing. Even as a distraction attempt, plus with her I know it won't work to calm her and will only get her even more upset instead of working to distract her.

If she eventually needs meds I will consult with her vet, but I'm pretty sure this is normal territorial cat behavior. If she sees a human or another car come up my driveway she'll run upstairs and hide. She knows my car and knows me so she doesn't run when it's me. If she sees birds or squirrels she'll swish her tail and chirp. If she sees another cat: all hell breaks loose.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hi Alinka,

Thank you for the response.

Just to take these in order that you asked:

1. I have some dried catnip that is put on one scratching toy. My cat uses it occasionally, but doesn't react much to it, certainly nothing negative.

2. I do have the Feliway spray in addition and have sprayed that in the areas. I never see the stray cat before my own cat does (or maybe she hears that cat coming first), so spraying before my cat is aware of what's happening doesn't seem possible. But yes I do try and get that cat to run away which is easy peasy because that cat will not come within 30 ft of me and the moment it spots me it does run. The cat, however, will come right up to the window or on the porch or on the back deck to taunt my cat. I think the trick for me is to quietly leave my house using my side door, which my cat associates with me, can't see anything I'm doing, and just walking outside will scare the stray cat away.

3. Haven't tried any medication yet. I'm familiar with Prozac for felines.

4. I've tried the treat distraction but that didn't work and she adores her treats. Once she is agitated and starting to hiss, it's like a full steam locomotive and nothing works except to remove the stimulus (i.e. the other cat) and allow my cat to calm down. When I totally ignore my cat, that's the best, as it doesn't escalate her, so I either have to quietly go outside, saying nothing, acting like nothing is up, to see if the other cat is nearby, or turn on some outside lights to look, but never look at my cat or acknowledge her in any way.

5. I don't feel comfortable with spritzing her or near her with water or anything she may perceive as negative or punishing. Even as a distraction attempt, plus with her I know it won't work to calm her and will only get her even more upset instead of working to distract her.

If she eventually needs meds I will consult with her vet, but I'm pretty sure this is normal territorial cat behavior. If she sees a human or another car come up my driveway she'll run upstairs and hide. She knows my car and knows me so she doesn't run when it's me. If she sees birds or squirrels she'll swish her tail and chirp. If she sees another cat: all hell breaks loose.
With most cats, once they go into that 'mental fight zone', there's not much you can do to bring them out of it. They have to do that themselves. I used to manage a feral colony at my workplace and managed to socialize a few of them over the years. A few times I tried to intervene & break up fights & even the ones who knew me would attack me as well as their enemy, and more times than not getting between them didn't do any good, as they would run off & continue somewhere else. I also learned not to touch or pet them afterwards until they calmed down. So you have the right idea- just let her be until she unwinds.
Also agree with item #5. While she's in that state, anything (physical) you do with her may only make her stress/anxiety worse, as she won't understand what you trying to do.
It may or may not be possible, but do everything you can to keep the other neighborhood kitties away from your home. That would probably help more than anything.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
Hi, lottamoxie and catdad7x,

I really thought I may have had something with the catnip possibility, mostly because the one kitty who reacts badly to it had some of the behaviors you described.

To clarify the misting- I'm not squirting water or aiming at a kitty. I use warm water in a plant mister bottle and direct it with my arm outstretched so the spray will "mist" and distract. For me it works (sometimes) but as you said you know your cat best!

Old 12-20-2015, 05:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
No words of wisdom to offer...sorry! Wish I had them because I feel so badly for you lottamoxie and your kitty, and I wish I could say "here's what to do and all will be well!"

How often does that stray come around? Do you know if he is actually owned by anyone or is a true stray? Could you perhaps trap him, make sure he's neutered, check for a microchip, and then if homeless hopefully get him to a shelter so that he can find the good home that he should have?

If you have to be away for an extended time, does someone come in to care for your cat? I know she's older now and not a young kitten, but it's really never too late to work on social skills. My semi-feral will never be a social butterfly (she's about 8), but she's much more comfortable in her skin these days. She'll still dive for cover when anyone comes over, but she now will come out of hiding and watch from a far. So, I'm thinking that if you possibly work on your cat's social skills, help her become more confident, that maybe her crazy aggression toward other cats might lessen a bit.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:18 PM

The stray comes around not at all when it's raining (I love the rain!), and maybe a couple times a week in the summer. Maybe once a month in the winter. It just depends on the weather and I guess where else that cat goes on its various rounds. No idea about the cat -- it is not wearing a collar & it is skittish & runs away, as I detailed in my first post above. The closest I've gotten to the cat is about 25 ft or so. I have no desire to interact with that cat at all, on any level.

I'm never away for an extended period of time, but when I do travel (a couple times a year) I have a cat sitter come in (the same person). My cat hides from her of course. When I have a friend over, my cat will hide but will eventually come out to take a peek, after a couple hours. If I have an overnight guest my cat will eventually walk into the room, especially if my guest ignores my cat. Ignoring my cat is the best thing anyone else can do.

I don't think the cat aggression is going to change. I'm certainly not going to have another animal while I have this cat (she wouldn't tolerate it now anyway). She hates other cats, simple as that. She was *very* bonded to my dog for the 1 year I had both at the same time, but the dog was here first & my cat was a tiny kitten who cuddled with the large hairy beast. My dog passed and it's just the 2 of us now and that's the way it will remain.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:02 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
lottamoxie - I'm not going to suggest getting a companion for your kitty, but "she hates other cats" as a blanket statement might not be exactly the case.

I have a "lovely" neighbor who lets his cats roam, and it is a royal pain to say the least. But of all of his cats who visit my yard, only one of them (Spot) put my Pharaoh into a crazed tizzy, to the point that Pharaoh would try to go through the patio screen to get to Spot. When he couldn't, Pharaoh resorted to peeing in the corners in the family room.

Your visiting stray may be like Spot. Some cats, and I believe this describes Spot and possibly your stray, have no respect for others' territories and give off that attitude which our cats pick up on and which sends them into Exorcist mode. It's the only thing I can think of because when others roam into my cats' territory, my kitties don't go nuts. They don't like it, but there's no aggressive behavior. There must be something in the "air", that these other roamers are not exuding that bold-as-brass uncaring arrogance like Spot.

Saying that cats require respect and/or can be respectful is anthropomorphizing a little bit, but it is a way to describe how solitary-by-nature animals adapt to living in groups. Most cats have decent levels of tolerance for others' behaviors, but there are some who have very little tolerance (perhaps describing your cat as was another of mine, Panther). Panther would have been much more content to be the only cat in the household, and if circumstances had been different, I wouldn't have purposely added more felines to our family. So, adding a companion is not always a good solution. It would be a crap shoot bringing in another cat or dog and hoping that his/her personality was a good match.

The fact that your cat dives for cover when a strange car pulls into the driveway or visitors are in the house isn't a negative thing. It's actually quite a positive that she comes out on her own if she feels like it. Cats who have zippo confidence won't come out at all period. So, thank you for describing what she does when others are around. Socially, she could be better, but she could be worse, so I wouldn't worry anymore about that.

Ignoring your cat at certain times is the best thing to do. "Ignoring" is also anthropomorphizing actually because cats don't see it that way. They either ask for attention or they don't, and they can get agitated or aggressive if they haven't asked for attention, but they're getting it. (Same thing if they're asking for attention and not getting it.)

Is this high level of aggression still happening?
"My cat was already in such a state of agitation though that when I opened my front door to come back inside, she would not let me back in my house! She was in pure attack mode - at me! She was attacking and I quickly retreated and closed the door. Usually I'm able to get back into the house with no problems and then I continue to ignore her, say nothing, and quietly go about my business and she'll calm down. This was a whole 'nother level of crazy aggression. She was completely out of her mind unable to recognize me, so I knew the only way I'd get back into my house would be to get to my side door, try to find a hidden key to my house, and enter that way. That's the way I normally come in and leave my house. Fortunately I was able to reenter my house and eventually get upstairs. Had I not had a spare key I don't know what I would have done."

The reason I ask is because this scenario appears to me that she was not attacking "you", but was either attacking an obstacle that had gotten in her way from her primary task OR she was believing her adversary (the stray cat) was coming inside. "Displaced aggression" doesn't always mean a shift of attack, that I-can't-attack-my-enemy-so-I'll-make-you-my-enemy. If she does "turn" on you, try to get into her head to figure out what's she's thinking. In the above, her do-or-die primary task was to keep that adversary out, and all of a sudden a door opened to allow that enemy in OR she saw it as a way to get to her adversary (although I'm thinking it was more the former).

Are there other things besides the stray cat that put your kitty into such a state? If not, and if it is that dang stray cat, I can only suggest discouraging that cat from coming around. There are a number of methods, but some might not fit your situation. If you can, have a garden hose at the ready, and whenever you see that cat give it good spray. Or whenever you see it, scare it off with loud noises and big movements. Do anything you can to teach that stray that coming around your territory is not worth it.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
I had that problem with my cat that passed away a few years ago except he would attack my other cats rather than me whenever he saw another cat outside through the window. Honestly, nothing seemed to work except blocking access to windows so my cat couldn’t see the other cat. My house was all one level, so I got shutters and closed the bottom portion of the shutters but left the top open for light (and fortunately sunlight so my cats could still lay in the sun). My cat couldn’t see out the lower portion of the window and couldn’t see the other cat. It worked for us. We had a particularly aggressive cat that would paw against my lower window (lol, "knocking" on the window) and my cat would flip out when that happened. Once I blocked viewing access, we didn’t have any more problems. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats