Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:33 PM

13 posts, read 25,619 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm new to the forums and I wanted to see if anyone had advise or experience with this.

I took my cat in yesterday since she wasn't eating, shes a 25 year old Domestic long hair and hasn't had any major health issues her entire life. They ran blood work and sadly she has Acute Renal Failure while everything else was within range. The Vet said he must rather have a cat with Acute then Chronic and he has hopes that fluid will help her for what time she has left and make her comfortable. He gave her SubQ fluids and said some cats take 24-48 hrs to respond to help clean out her system. I will return to be shown how to do this at home if it helps her. Since receiving the Fluids she has eaten some, more then she has the past 2 days but I've read in the past some cats use Pepcid AC to help them with appetite and to help them not feel as sick with Renal issue. Is this safe to give to a cat with Acute Renal Failure? This is processed through the Kidneys so I don't want to put pressure on them but even just a temporary thing to help her want to start eating again to avoid acid from building up in her stomach. I read many different things that this is used to help Cats with renal failure but yet it can also cause issues. I tried to call my Vet but the office is closed until Monday and only thing avail is a emergency clinic ph#. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Pepcid ac can be used, but I wouldn't advise it's use without speaking to the attending vet first. When my little tiny girl (7 pounds) was CKD she did take pepcid ac, 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet a half an hour before her first meal of the day. (Once a day) prescribed by her vet. I gave her subq fluids at home, and vitman B injections also, for three years. (she's been gone for 7 years)

Pepcid ac is not meant for long term use, as it interferes with certain B vitamins creating a deficiency, and also makes the stomach too alkaline.

Slippery Elm Bark can also be used for nausea. How to make a syrup is talked about by Dr Jean Hofve here:

Slippery Elm | Little Big Cat

I use Slippery Elm Bark for my cat who has digestive issues. I use an organic brand I purchase on line but you can probably find it locally in a health food store. Make sure it is pure, no added ingredients.

Good luck to your kitty.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:35 PM

thanks for your response

Old 01-09-2016, 06:09 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
I also had to give Pepcid to a cat with CKD, but I wouldn't suggest doing that until you talk to your vet. Too many variables your vet has a handle on that we aren't privvy to.

25 years old! My word, you must have been doing something right all these years!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

Thanks again for your response

I do everything for her, shes been spoiled many times

Old 01-10-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippinCat View Post
Thanks again for your response

I do everything for her, shes been spoiled many times
Give her an extra kiss from me.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Give her an extra kiss from me.
I will, thank you for the kindness She recently got up and ate some food which is nice to see, gonna call Vet first thing in the morning to see if any pepcid ac would help her stomach or if he has any other suggestions until we go for her next Fluid treatment Appt.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippinCat View Post
I will, thank you for the kindness She recently got up and ate some food which is nice to see, gonna call Vet first thing in the morning to see if any pepcid ac would help her stomach or if he has any other suggestions until we go for her next Fluid treatment Appt.
Glad she is eating. That's so important. Hopefully, they will teach you how to do subcutaneous fluids soon. It's much less stressful for the cat doing that at home than going to the vet every time. And fluids always seem to perk up the kitty. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:37 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
25 years old! Amazing!

Glad she is eating some. FWIW, I always have some chicken or turkey baby food on hand in case a cat won't eat. You can also buy a can or two of Hills A/D canned food from your vet. (It's a very palatable food for ill cats.)

Old 01-11-2016, 03:29 PM

I go in Thursday to have her SubQ fluids again and to be taught to do it from home she really hates going to the Vet! I want to keep her as less stressed as possible. I've watched a few videos on how to do it and it seems pretty easy to learn. I did get a can of Hills A/D at the Vet's last Friday and she would only touch it the day we got home from vet, even tried to microwave for the smell but she don't want to touch it now so I've been trying to find anything she'll touch to eat. I will get some baby food, she seems to enjoy things that are easy to lick up so that's a really good idea. Is there any specific Brand of baby food you recommend? I also talked with the Vet this morning and he said 1/4 of a pepcid ac would be fine to give to her. I gave her that soon as I got home today to see if it helps her stomach so she can eat more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats