Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

My newest cat is named Besa (pronounced "bay-sa"). Ever since she was a kitten she liked to lick people, what we call "kitty kisses". The person who named her said it means "kiss" in Spanish. It's very fitting.

I had a huge orange tabbly named Titan...he really grew into his name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I had a huge orange tabby named Titan...he really grew into his name.
Yeah, you have to be careful of what you wish for sometimes. My late mother brought home a tiny little orange ball of fluff from the shelter when I was a teen, and I promptly christened him Cougar. He was 22 pounds and nearly 2 feet long (not including his tail) by the time he finished growing!

The tuxedo-clad fur person currently rumbling away in my lap - and making it darned hard to type - is named Finn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced McCool). When he first came home from the shelter, my daughter kept calling him by different names until he responded. The one that got the most positive reaction was Finn Mac Cumhaill, and that has been his official name ever since.

Of course, Finn has many other sobriquets as well, including but not limited to Mrrrrrrp, Pineapple Upside Down Cat, That Tomato-Eating *%#@*, and AAAKKK STOP CLIMBING UP MY BACK.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
This is a great thread!

Picture how funny it was to stick my head out the back door to call them in! My neighbors got used to hearing me call for "Neurotic" and "Normal"!! That was 40 years ago and the memory of them still brings a smile to my face.
That is too funny

Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,337 times
Quote:
another similarity! I had the sweetest black kitty about 20 years ago named Beelzebub..... I told everyone he was named after that line from Bohemian Rhapsody
We also had a pretty female black cat called Beelzebub! It was my mum's cat.

My first cat was called Whities - I was very young and he was white. lol.

Then my 2nd Cat was called PRICKLES - she was named after a dog.

My 3rd cat is called APOLLONIUS - he is a huge flame ginger cat. He is named after a rival of Jesus that I learned about during 'secret bible week' on TV.
The kids call him APPLE - which is kinda funny because he isn't Apple - he's Orange! lol.
My husband calls him Apollo.

My 4th Cat was called d'Artagnan - (same name as in the Katherine Heigl movie The Ugly Truth) coincidence as our cat died before we watched the movie. :'(
He was called d'Artagnan because he was our 4th pet - he is the 4th musketeer.

My 5th cat is called Zinc - rather uninspired name... he is named after a Simpson's episode (Bart the Lover) where all the Zinc disappears and the character says "Come Back Zinc!"

Both my current cats are orange - Apollo is flame ginger and Zinc is cream ginger.
When they die (hopefully of old age) I am planning to get 3 black cats and give them all devil names "El Diablo" "Satan" "Lucifer"

Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
My older cat is Georgette, named after a fabric which is similar to chiffon. I named her before I even had her - in her photo on the shelter website, she looked ethereal with her silver fur, like she would just blow away in a puff of wind. She's a dilute tortie, so she had pale silvery kitten fur. She's still grey and cream, and has the most amazingly soft coat - like a chinchilla. We call her George, Gigi, Jujka (my Eastern European roommate's name for her), and Kiki (short for "kitty, kitty")

Here's her baby photo - doesn't she look like a little grey cloud?

My white kitten's name is Claire. She came from the shelter named 'Sadie' but after I had her a couple of days I looked at her and 'Claire' just came to me. I never call her that, though. She's "Kitten." She was also Cadpig (after the runt in 101 dalmations), Whitey (for obvious reasons), and Little Whitey Kittenface (my favorite.) She's not so little anymore, though.

The dog is "Pup" (aren't I creative? ) Her full name is Sienna Tokala (Sienna for her red color and Tokala means fox, which she looks like a little fox). I talk about her as Sienna, but when I'm talking to her it's either Pup or Kala. For some reason, I can't ever call the animals by their actual names.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
Oh, I forgot my mom's cats. They have pretty clever names. She had a pair of sibling kittens named Kibbles and Bits. Bits was a little black kitty, and Kibbles was grey tabby & white. Whenever a commercial for Kibbles & Bits was on TV, they would come running at the sound of their names.

Kibbles, tragically, died young (hit by a car.) My mom got another kitten to keep Bits company. Another little black kitty. She struggled for a while on what to name her, until a coworker came up with "Pieces"! So now she has Bits and Pieces.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
My older cat is Georgette, named after a fabric which is similar to chiffon. I named her before I even had her - in her photo on the shelter website, she looked ethereal with her silver fur, like she would just blow away in a puff of wind. She's a dilute tortie, so she had pale silvery kitten fur. She's still grey and cream, and has the most amazingly soft coat - like a chinchilla. We call her George, Gigi, Jujka (my Eastern European roommate's name for her), and Kiki (short for "kitty, kitty")

Here's her baby photo - doesn't she look like a little grey cloud?

My white kitten's name is Claire. She came from the shelter named 'Sadie' but after I had her a couple of days I looked at her and 'Claire' just came to me. I never call her that, though. She's "Kitten." She was also Cadpig (after the runt in 101 dalmations), Whitey (for obvious reasons), and Little Whitey Kittenface (my favorite.) She's not so little anymore, though.

The dog is "Pup" (aren't I creative? ) Her full name is Sienna Tokala (Sienna for her red color and Tokala means fox, which she looks like a little fox). I talk about her as Sienna, but when I'm talking to her it's either Pup or Kala. For some reason, I can't ever call the animals by their actual names.
Your little cloud kitty is gorgeous, I don't think I have ever seen one quite like her.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 AM

164 posts, read 515,622 times
We have had lots of cats over the years but the ones with the mosty unusual names were:

"Freebie" - so named because the neighbor's little boy brought home a kitten without permission and couldn't keep it. He brought it to our door and said if we would keep it, we could have it "for free."

"Odd Bod" - a tortiseshell kitty with the strangest-looking black & orange patches. Can't describe it really, you would have to see its "odd body" in person to understand.

"Faux Paw" - our white deaf kitty with one blue eye and one brown eye. Her deafness meant we couldn't count on her to have the usual feline "social graces," such as responding to her name or understanding what "no-no" meant. So her "faux pas" behaviour around the house resulted in her name. And like many other deaf kitties, she LOVED to be vaccuumed!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
My solid black kitty is named Punskin. I got him free one October before Halloween from a petstore. We named him Pumpkin being that it was near Halloween but with all the baby talk that we talked to him with, it became Punskin, and the name stuck.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Five is a combination of the number reflecting his coat color on a common greyscale description and the tv show Babylon 5.

When we got him a friend, we wanted a letter to go with the number, and since the kitten looked like he'd grow up to be a cat of the Great White North, he got named Zed after a common Canadian pronunciation of the letter 'Z'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats