Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 10,115 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old male cat, neutered, and have never had a problem with his litterbox habits. We have 3 cats, 4 litter boxes, each cat has chosen it's own human and room. 5 weeks ago, I wake up at 3am to him (Jake) peeing on me! I of course freaked out, you can imagine what then needs to be done at 3am to hopefully even get back to bed. Figured it was just a weird thing, nothing had changed in my home, and let it go. It happened again the next night! OK, now I'm NOT HAPPY! He sleeps with me, curled behind my knees, so it is his bed too. He was diagnosed 2 years ago with Feline Ideopathic Kidney Disease (I think that's what it's called) and is on a daily medication and prescription food to maintain his urinary function. He has only had 2 flare ups since he was diagnosed. I took him to the vet, everything checked out fine. I would like to add that I am disabled, and am at home at least 90% of the time. None of that has changed. I have used the special odor blockers, several kinds, put a plastic shower curtain under my bedding, changed my comforter to a different consistency, nothing has worked. I now sleep with a plastic shower curtain under my bedding, every time I walk away from my bed or bedroom, I put another one over the entire bed. I just do not know what to do! Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
He is telling you he is sick.

First we need to know: What do you mean by "everything checked out fine"? Did the vet take urine and send it to a lab for a culture?

What medication is he on?

Are you feeding him an ALL WET diet?

How old is he?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goossens View Post
I have a 5 year old male cat, neutered, and have never had a problem with his litterbox habits. We have 3 cats, 4 litter boxes, each cat has chosen it's own human and room. 5 weeks ago, I wake up at 3am to him (Jake) peeing on me! I of course freaked out, you can imagine what then needs to be done at 3am to hopefully even get back to bed. Figured it was just a weird thing, nothing had changed in my home, and let it go. It happened again the next night! OK, now I'm NOT HAPPY! He sleeps with me, curled behind my knees, so it is his bed too. He was diagnosed 2 years ago with Feline Ideopathic Kidney Disease (I think that's what it's called) and is on a daily medication and prescription food to maintain his urinary function. He has only had 2 flare ups since he was diagnosed. I took him to the vet, everything checked out fine. I would like to add that I am disabled, and am at home at least 90% of the time. None of that has changed. I have used the special odor blockers, several kinds, put a plastic shower curtain under my bedding, changed my comforter to a different consistency, nothing has worked. I now sleep with a plastic shower curtain under my bedding, every time I walk away from my bed or bedroom, I put another one over the entire bed. I just do not know what to do! Please Help!
Ideopathic means they don't understand the cause. Of course they aren't trained to add 2 plus 2 and advise people that diet directly impacts health as do treatments used. Their treatments are designed for short term use at best.

Your poor cat. My first cat was plagued by FUS and (before I discovered natural health care) I helped another cat who had had a history of FUS using natural methods reverse the FUS and in his old age also reversed early kidney disease.

I would immediately fast your cat for two days on a high calcium home made chicken broth (Take a rotisserie chicken; cover with water. Boil then simmer for 4 or more hours and continually cover with more water if needed. Let cool and squeeze juice and goodness from meat. Discard meat. Break up bones and place in small saucepan. Cover bones with water and add a teaspoon of tomato juice to draw out calcium from bones. Boil and then simmer for 30 mins. Add liquid to first batch of broth. Store unused broth in containers and freeze for later use.

Fasting the cat will let him use all his energy for healing instead of hogging 80 percent of it to break down food.

I would start giving him Kidney Cytotrophin by Enzyme Process which is a kidney glandular (food for the kidneys) and I would aim to get him OFF of the Rx. ASAP!!! I used to give my cat 1/2 a cap two times a day. They love the taste.

Search on-line for the side-effects of and or "dangers of X" X being whatever the name of the medication is he is on. You'll probably find a lot of your cat's symptoms.

Prescription drugs aren't designed for long term use because they are acid forming. Acids burn. They also harden and form cysts and tumors and "crystals". Herbs and the correct food is alkalizing and helps the body to heal and function normally.

I turned a cat around who had high creatinine levels and brought them down to a low normal range doing what I am telling you. Make sure, after you fast him at least a day that you give him a quality wet food. Instincts in the frozen section at the big box pet stores is pretty good. A better one is TC Feline premix that you mix into raw ground meat and add water. It is supposed to simulate a meal of prey. It doesn't have any filler vegetables. I use the latter.

Needless to say, his litter is very clean isn't it? It needs to be all the time for any cat with kidney bladder issues. Clean it twice a day minimum.

In your situation, instead of letting him sleep with you, I would put the cat by himself in a bathroom with some comfy towels for a bed; papers around on the floor and a separate clean litter box and see if he makes it to the litter box to pee or just pees on the papers.

Altenatively you could try a homeopathic Remedy that it really good in serious situations with really sick cats called Arsenicum Album 30 C . You can sometimes notice dramatic improvement in hours or less.The Vitamin Shoppe or other health food store would have it. The size of the dose doesn't matter. You only need to give one dose. You don't even need to give as much as it says on the container. I usually dissolve just one pellet or pill in a half teaspoon or less of some filtered water; use an eyedropper or a spoon to get it in his mouth. Then wait and watch. If you notice a worsening, that is a good sign. It means the remedy is resonating and healing will soon follow. You also might notice a positive change right away or in time. With Homeopathics you don't want to dose again unless you've seen improvement followed by worsening. Then you can give another dose.

A really good book on homeopathy for cats is a book by Dr Hamilton HOMEOPATHIC CARE FOR CATS AND DOGS: Small Doses for Small Animals

Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats