Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times

Advertisements

Last night around 11pm my cat got outside. My dad was outside with our dog and he had left the backdoor open (I know) and with her loving the outside, she took the opportunity. I noticed the door was open when I went to use the bathroom and instantly started looking for her. Around 12:30 am I went inside, hoping she would be waiting for me in the morning like she was after another time she had got out. I got up at 6 am, no kitty. I've been outside almost all day...walking up and down our road, calling for her, waiting for her. No signs of her

We live out in the country and I know she has gone in field to play before and she loves climbing trees. But she's just been gone over 12 hours now and I really just feel like she isn't coming back..

I've notified the few "neighbors" I have. We have a lot of cats out here as my one neighbors are notorious for taking in and rescuing cats. They have about 80, most are in little buildings (with heat/ac/the good life) but some roam around and stay outside in the barns. I have checked all the barns and I haven't seen her or any of the other cats (it is hot).

I worry she got taken by a coyote or something. My mom thinks I am worrying too soon, but it's hard not to. I started worrying the second I knew she got out. I lost my childhood cat 2.5 years ago and then I rescued Sydney. I feel like I can't handle loosing her already I guess I am just looking for some support or even advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had this happen with our then-15 year old cat. I think he slipped outside when I took out the garbage but I never saw him.

I wrote a blog post about it here, listing all the things we learned. I know you don't live in town, but I'd suggest printing up a sheet with your cat's photo/description and phone numbers to call, and give them to your neighbors. A neighbor we talked to saw our cat and called us.

Don't give up hope! We searched for 11 days before I found our Tucker. She may be hiding somewhere nearby but is too scared to show herself just yet. Keep checking those barns/garages/etc. Get a flashlight and go out at dusk and dawn (we found Tucker at dusk), or when her usual feeding time is. Please keep us posted.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Check to see if your community has a spot on http://www.nextdoor.com
It's an online presence where members of your neighborhood can post things like pets missing, yard sales, local crime rates...

Also, check out FACEBOOK as they have a lots pets section that's narrowed to local subdivisions.
I hope you find your four legged friend... Good luck in your search!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:06 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,563 times
I know how you must be feeling. I was face-down crying on my bed when my first cat didn't come back one night. The rest of my family had to go out looking for her. She eventually came out from a hiding place right underneath our garden deck.

In every case I've heard of, the cat has been found, very very close to home. Try not to worry - keep calling her, she is probably listening

Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Our own Babi-boo has escaped twice OP. It scared us to death. First day she was gone overnight, but was on the doorstep when the sun rose.
Second time she slipped through an open door, she was gone three days!
We were going nuts, but she finally showed up in one of our larger gardens. A few pounds lighter, a few more scrowls on her face, but she was back in the house and we are much more careful about her.

Don't worry, I really think your kitty will show up within the next few days. Cats are natural explorers, she's just fulfilling that part of her senses, and will miss that bowl of warm wet catfood you give her soon enough

Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had this happen with our then-15 year old cat. I think he slipped outside when I took out the garbage but I never saw him.

I wrote a blog post about it here, listing all the things we learned. I know you don't live in town, but I'd suggest printing up a sheet with your cat's photo/description and phone numbers to call, and give them to your neighbors. A neighbor we talked to saw our cat and called us.

Don't give up hope! We searched for 11 days before I found our Tucker. She may be hiding somewhere nearby but is too scared to show herself just yet. Keep checking those barns/garages/etc. Get a flashlight and go out at dusk and dawn (we found Tucker at dusk), or when her usual feeding time is. Please keep us posted.
Thank you, I am going to go out again tonight and hopefully find her.. I have food set out for her, but nothing. I keep checking and every sound I hear I hope is her. It acts like it's going to storm out now, too. I hope she comes back soon..

Old 07-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Our own Babi-boo has escaped twice OP. It scared us to death. First day she was gone overnight, but was on the doorstep when the sun rose.
Second time she slipped through an open door, she was gone three days!
We were going nuts, but she finally showed up in one of our larger gardens. A few pounds lighter, a few more scrowls on her face, but she was back in the house and we are much more careful about her.

Don't worry, I really think your kitty will show up within the next few days. Cats are natural explorers, she's just fulfilling that part of her senses, and will miss that bowl of warm wet catfood you give her soon enough
Thank you, that's very reassuring. My mom kept saying my other cat did this, and he did. It's just very stressful. She loves the outdoors and hunting, but she loves her wet food..hoping she will start missing it and come back soon

Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Update: My girl is home! Went out around 9:30 pm to do another look as it was starting to cool off. As soon as I opened the door I just yelled her name and she came bolting out of a barn and ran across the field to the house. She is now safe and sound inside! And I think my family finally realized they need to be more careful with the doors.

It was a pretty crappy day. My cat was missing, I went looking for her in the barns and took the dogs. The dogs found a coon and freaked out. I tried to save the coon but the dogs are each over 100 lbs and I just couldn't get them. They killed it right in front of me...which was pretty freaking awful. SO, I was bawling over this coon and my cat (Im a huge softie obviously lol ) But, Sydney is home now so I can end the night on a good note! Still feel really bad about the coon though..And I have never seen my one dog be aggressive to another animals.. ever..so it was just a rough day lol

Old 07-06-2016, 09:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I'm glad she made it home. I would have been freaking out about the coon too.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
HOORAY that she is home!! Wonderful news!

(I am sorry you had to deal with the raccoon situation though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats