Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times

Advertisements

One reason I think that cat owners should keep their cats indoors...

I don't mean to lecture, but I have seen more abuse directed towards cats than I have any other domesticated animal. It's very sad.

If I related the story about what a former neighbour of ours did, you cat lovers would be horrified, so I'll keep that information to myself.

Rabid cat bites Haldimand resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 11:26 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
I certainly hope you spoke up and called the police on your former neighbor if he did something horrible to cats. If there was more public pressure and outrage and legal retaliation against animal abusers, instead of people tolerating the abuse because the abuser is a relative or friend or neighbor, the situation for animals would improve.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:47 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
That article turned me off right from the get-go: "Cats roaming at large are not just a nuisance to gardeners and a menace to birds and other wildlife. They are also a threat to human health." The article continues in that tone. OK, let's agree that unvaccinated cats, whether feral or not, can contract rabies. But let's do something about vaccinating them and not use scare tactics to make mass euthanasia or whatever other plan the council cooks up acceptable.

In case anyone is wondering, I have trapped over 2 dozen feral cats on my property and paid for them to be spayed/neutered and vaccinated for rabies. All from my own pocket. And we had a rabid skunk in our yard last November that caused untold problems for us. So I am aware that rabies is a serious problem. But as soon as someone writes an article about "tens of thousands" of feral cats "roaming at large", and making them all seem like Cujo or something, I cringe.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
It is sad that it seems cats are still often seen as "disposable" pets to some people. And it's also a fact that cats receive less regular vet care than dogs. (I have a co-worker with a 17 year old cat who can't recall the last time the cat went to the vet!)

I applaud those who work to TNR feral and stray cats to help with this problem. I have TNR'd one cat and know the work and stress involved.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
It is sad that it seems cats are still often seen as "disposable" pets to some people. And it's also a fact that cats receive less regular vet care than dogs. (I have a co-worker with a 17 year old cat who can't recall the last time the cat went to the vet!)

I applaud those who work to TNR feral and stray cats to help with this problem. I have TNR'd one cat and know the work and stress involved.
That mindset is probably a byproduct of that old myth that cats are independent, aloof, and a take-care-of-their-self type of pet. Add in the fact that cats are notorious for hiding & disguising any problems they may be having, and some people have a cat specifically because they don't have the time, or the desire, to pay much attention to them.... so it's no surprise that may be true.

Sad, really.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:40 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I just wanted to chime in on the importance of vaccinating your cats for Rabies even if strictly indoors.

Recently one of my cats started having seizures. During his episodes he bites himself quite viciously. Normally he is the sweetest thing and wouldn't even think of biting. However while seizing it is out of his control.

About two weeks ago while I was in the process of getting his Pheno ready (he was on the edge of the table next to me) he abruptly started seizing and when he does he jerks back around to bite his back and will fall over. Well....my hip happened to be at the edge by him and rather than latching on to his back he latched on to me. My immediate reaction was to grab my hip which in turn he latched on to my thumb nearly biting the tip off. I had to spend the night in the ER.

While in the ER there was never a mention of them reporting the bite and what the process was. However I had read about our City/County/State requirements so I knew what the law said. Thank god I had him vaccinated!!! Within hours....I'm talking probably less than 4 hours of me being discharged from the hospital I got a call from an officer at Animal Control asking me if I was going to euthanize my cat. I told them no that he only bit me due to his seizures and that he is strictly indoors, up to date and that we are working with a vet to control the seizures. Only because of that would they allow me to quarantine him in my home for a 10 day period.

While I am not a proponent of over vaccinating I just cringe at the thought of what could have happened had he not been up to date. I really wish the vets would work with government to reestablish the Rabies vaccination schedule or use titers....but until they I wanted to just send out a message on how diligent some areas are with animal bites/Rabies.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I just wanted to chime in on the importance of vaccinating your cats for Rabies even if strictly indoors.

Recently one of my cats started having seizures. During his episodes he bites himself quite viciously. Normally he is the sweetest thing and wouldn't even think of biting. However while seizing it is out of his control.

About two weeks ago while I was in the process of getting his Pheno ready (he was on the edge of the table next to me) he abruptly started seizing and when he does he jerks back around to bite his back and will fall over. Well....my hip happened to be at the edge by him and rather than latching on to his back he latched on to me. My immediate reaction was to grab my hip which in turn he latched on to my thumb nearly biting the tip off. I had to spend the night in the ER.

While in the ER there was never a mention of them reporting the bite and what the process was. However I had read about our City/County/State requirements so I knew what the law said. Thank god I had him vaccinated!!! Within hours....I'm talking probably less than 4 hours of me being discharged from the hospital I got a call from an officer at Animal Control asking me if I was going to euthanize my cat. I told them no that he only bit me due to his seizures and that he is strictly indoors, up to date and that we are working with a vet to control the seizures. Only because of that would they allow me to quarantine him in my home for a 10 day period.

While I am not a proponent of over vaccinating I just cringe at the thought of what could have happened had he not been up to date. I really wish the vets would work with government to reestablish the Rabies vaccination schedule or use titers....but until they I wanted to just send out a message on how diligent some areas are with animal bites/Rabies.

I agree with you about complying with laws for the cat's safety. Unfortunately, I often wonder if over vaccination may be the cause of these seizure disorders. Thankfully the PureVax rabies is now approved as a three year vaccine.

My seizure kitty bit me once (accidental, he was getting his claws trimmed and a car backfired in the street outside and it scared him and he inadvertently bit me) I needed treatment and of course it was reported. I had to keep him "quarantined" at home for 10 days, and they followed up too, calling me at the 10 day mark and when I didn't call back right away calling me daily until I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats