Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,852 times

Advertisements

What? How does Clumping litter give a cat urinary tract problems??? This might be something we all can learn about. Does it happen over time? Am I hijjacking this thread??? Yes, I am...

So, ya, I'm still using Fresh Step...Probably will until I make more money to get the good stuff like mdtoaz, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,570 times
Well, when she was having her problems, I figured maybe it either might be from the litter or her food. So, we changed her food and changed her litter.

I am thinking it probably was the litter. Later on I read that the blue crystals aren't very healthy for cats. I don't know if the clumping part had anything to do with it or not but I just don't want to take any chances. And she hasn't had any problems since we changed litter.

She also has breathing problems and some of the litter is just too strong (perfumey) smelling. The Tidy Cats isn't quite a strong.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
What? How does Clumping litter give a cat urinary tract problems??? This might be something we all can learn about. Does it happen over time? Am I hijjacking this thread??? Yes, I am...

So, ya, I'm still using Fresh Step...Probably will until I make more money to get the good stuff like mdtoaz, LOL.
LOL, yeah... I'm just rolling in the dough. Actually w/the money I save on allergy meds, I can afford the good stuff.

I don't know about the occurance of UTI's with clumping litter... we've never had a problem with any of our cats using it for about 7 years now. **knocking on wood as I'm typing this**

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
Well, when she was having her problems, I figured maybe it either might be from the litter or her food. So, we changed her food and changed her litter.

I am thinking it probably was the litter. Later on I read that the blue crystals aren't very healthy for cats. I don't know if the clumping part had anything to do with it or not but I just don't want to take any chances. And she hasn't had any problems since we changed litter.

She also has breathing problems and some of the litter is just too strong (perfumey) smelling. The Tidy Cats isn't quite a strong.

Oooh, sounds like it was the food. But, that's just IMO, though I have also heard teh smells can be a bit hazardous.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
I use Cat's Pride clumping litter...it's okay. Clumps so-so. Maybe I will try something new if enough people recommend it here.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,500 times
I like Arm and Hammer unscented

Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
I only buy Tidy Cat odored control for multiple cats. I have 2 cats and I never have a cat odor in my house.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 AM

563 posts, read 2,569,772 times
We have a cat house...we don't talk numbers LOL...but....I have tried every litter out there and my preferred litter is Cat's Pride. I do not like the clumping litters. No matter how much I used, it always turned to cement in the bottom of the box despite frequent care and cleaning of the box. Plus, the granules are very tiny and make a mess with the tracking outside the box. This is just my experience with them. I have not noticed a difference in the odor department regarding clumping or traditional clay litters. I use a little baking soda sprinkled in the bottom of each box before adding the new litter. I think it helps.

Walmart sells the Cat's pride cheapest (30 lb bags) but varies by store...some carry it and some do not. As with any product they sell, they may just stop carrying things altogether. Walmart's brand...Special Kitty...well there are three lines of this litter at the store near me. There is a red 25 lb bag, a yellow multi-cat 20 lb bag and then these Special Kitty Premium 10 lb bags. These are all traditional clay litters. All the litters are different regarding quality and texture in each line. I prefer the 10 lb bag of "Special Kitty Premium" as it was closest to Cat's Pride. So close was it that my detective skills were peaked--I called Walmart's home office to inquire as to the supplier of their litter. It turns out the supplier is Oil Dri corporation, manufacturer of Cat's Pride and Johnny Cat brand litters. I confirmed my suspicions....I was correct. I also discovered something else...

I am currently in Florida. My fiancee is in NY. After my detective work I told her to buy the Special Kitty litter because it was the same as Cats Pride. It turned out the litter in her bags from NY was different. And they had different UPC codes on the bags. Well, Walmart must regionally outsource its suppliers because those same 10lb bags of "Special Kitty Premium" are packaged by a different supplier for distribution in NY...and it is not Oil Dri. Walmart confirmed this and gave me the name of another company but I can't remember off the top of my head...Golden Kat Corporation or something like that.

Just a friendly bit of advice for everyone....I like to know these things but that might just be me

Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post

It just depends on the cat, some are allergic to some types of litter, etc. My cats don't have problems with it.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
..No matter how much I used, it always turned to cement in the bottom of the box despite frequent care and cleaning of the box.
Before I put the litter in, I spray the inside of the litter boxes with PAM. It keeps the clumps and "cement pee puddles" from sticking to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats