Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes! butt overhang... what's up with thaaaat! My Ragdoll has only just started doing that about a month ago .... she has graduated from just p'ing in one favorite corner of the box, to butt hanging over that corner and I just noticed it the other day -- pee in the folds of the liner that goes over the edge of the box, and I touched the scatter rug on the floor under it -- sure enough, a wet spot. The box is plenty large enough and I'm not stingey with the litter, it's at least 3 or 4" deep.

Any solutions or suggestions for the above?

As for kitties with constipation issues, when she had issues my vet suggested said to give 1 tsp. of MiraLax every other day until that is solved, and after that only once a week. Works like a charm, and MiraLax has no taste or odor.

With hairball issues, 1 tbsp. of mineral every other day should take care of that for long hair kitties.

High sided sterilite tote boxes for litter boxes.

Mineral oil should not be given to cats without a specific directive from the vet in cases of megacolon or chronic constipation. It interferes with nutrient absorption and becomes habit forming (cat can't poop without it)

And certainly not a tablespoon of it! That's a human dose!

The beginning dose for a cat with megacolon would be 1/2 ml once a day. Increase to 1/2 ml twice a day if improvement is not shown in a few days. Gradually work up to 1 ml twice a day if needed but that is a high dose and is the maximum that should be given ever, and not on a long term basis.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-11-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 03:22 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
For the record, I feed raw and grain-free canned here.

Our oldest is the vomiter (clear vomit, early in the morning) and I have asked the vet about it, with no answer. He is also the butt scooter. Since given him daily probiotics, that has lessened greatly.

I think the biggest frustration is the litter flinging and tracking. One of the cons of clumping litter, I guess.

The early morning vomit is probably bile puke. It means kitty is going too long between meals and bile is building up in the stomach. This is not uncommon when cats get older, they start to need smaller meals more frequently. It can also be a symptom of IBD or other digestive disorder.

I'm glad the probiotics are helping.

I don't have any litter flingers and I use yoga mats next to the litter boxes. The feet sink in to the mat when they land on it and it grabs the litter off the feet, reducing tracking down to almost none.

I don't have a lot of faith in asking vets about frequent puking. They are used to kibble fed cats so they think it is "normal". It is not.

The only cat who pukes here is the one whose digestion was ruined from 6 years on a kibble diet. She is raw fed now of course, but the damage is permanent.

The other two, who have been canned and then raw fed since a young age, do not puke, ever. One does have anal gland issues though and they have to be expressed at the vet.

I have two stand up pee-ers. Both female. They don't do it all the time. I had to extend the high sided litter boxes with cardboard walls, that I replace frequently, because they were shooting over the edge even with 18 inch sides. The other one straddles the corners of the low sided box, balancing precariously, to both pee and poop. She was 8 weeks old when she came to me, but her earlier weeks were spent in a situation with filthy litter boxes so I think that's where her habit came from.

I think the stand up pee-ers would do better with really wide and long litter boxes, I mean something 3 feet x 3 feet maybe, but unfortunately I don't have a place to put something like that now. Their boxes are 16 inches wide and 24 inches long, 18 inches high, plus the cardboard extenders.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-11-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 03:22 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I used to use the low sided boxes. I swear Elvira would try to build sandcastles in them and litter went EVERYWHERE! And of course she would track it everywhere-including in our bed. I switched litter & now use a high side box and less tracking. But, this morning I saw her playing with a piece of litter.

Every now and again, one of them would have an "oops." And every now again, one of them will do the "butt walk." And sometimes there is vomit-furballs. Josette is on Purrge-given to her by the vet. She has issues with constipation. I try to give it to her every few days or so.

And they are always checking to make sure the theory of gravity is still working.

Cat

Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Mineral oil should not be given to cats without a specific directive from the vet in cases of megacolon or chronic constipation. It interferes with nutrient absorption and becomes habit forming (cat can't poop without it)

The beginning dose for a cat with megacolon would be 1/2 ml once a day. Increase to 1/2 twice a day if improvement is not shown in a few days. Gradually work up to 1 ml twice a day if needed but that is a high dose and is the maximum that should be given ever, and not on a long term basis.

Correction: I should have said 1/2 tsp. of mineral oil every other day for a max of 6 days. He said the 'poo' will just slide right out of the kitty, they cannot hold back, and it worked especially for hairballs. If that doesn't work, the vet gives a mild enema. The MiraLax advice is also from my highly reputable vet; my kitty is 16 yrs. old, same vet,with never an issue, very healthy, until last year when she had to go to the E.R. vet here on 4th of July weekend to the tune of $1400, including x rays and ultrasound, and a few enemas to get her straightened out during the following month. Never an issue since.

Just her hit 'n miss p'ing on the corner of the box is the issue now. I doubt she would jump that high into a Sterilite tote box. I store fabric and yarn in those, and they are very deep, I'll look for lower ones. What would you use for a liner? Or I'll look for a slightly higher litter box, or maybe even a covered litter box? A round box?

Old 10-11-2016, 03:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:

The beginning dose for a cat with megacolon would be 1/2 ml once a day. Increase to 1/2 twice a day if improvement is not shown in a few days. Gradually work up to 1 ml twice a day if needed but that is a high dose and is the maximum that should be given ever, and not on a long term basis.
(Sorry there was a duplicate reply)

Last edited by QuilterChick; 10-11-2016 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Whoops, duplicate.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:33 PM

566 posts, read 678,277 times
HAHAHAHAHA! Sorrry..but i dribbled my coffee as I read that HaHa! thanks for that advice!

Quote:

I have two stand up pee-ers. Both female. They don't do it all the time. I had to extend the high sided litter boxes with cardboard walls, that I replace frequently, because they were shooting over the edge even with 18 inch sides. The other one straddles the corners of the low sided box, balancing precariously, to both pee and poop. She was 8 weeks old when she came to me, but her earlier weeks were spent in a situation with filthy litter boxes so I think that's where her habit came from.

I think the stand up pee-ers would do better with really wide and long litter boxes, I mean something 3 feet x 3 feet maybe, but unfortunately I don't have a place to put something like that now. Their boxes are 16 inches wide and 24 inches long, 18 inches high, plus the cardboard extenders.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:29 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
I find most kitty cats will try to keep thier area clean as they dont want to be in dirty conditions.... They are quite neat creatures

Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:

The beginning dose for a cat with megacolon would be 1/2 ml once a day. Increase to 1/2 ml twice a day if improvement is not shown in a few days. Gradually work up to 1 ml twice a day if needed but that is a high dose and is the maximum that should be given ever, and not on a long term basis.
Also, unless it's mixed into wet food (and even then), you have to be VERY CAREFUL that the cat doesn't aspirate (accidentally inhale) mineral oil. It will lead to pneumonia and possibly death. I've yet to find anything that actually works to prevent hairballs other than intercepting the hair before they swallow it. They sell hairball paste, but neither cat will eat it. NOR will one of them touch any wet food at all. I do use Miralax on that one, administered daily, orally, dissolved in water with an eyedropper, as he has chronic feline megacolon (always has).

It's a mess!

I used an oil changing pan as a litter box when I had room (now I don't, so use a tall-sided box). Still we had runover, as one insists of getting right up on the edge of it to pee, for some reason.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
FYI - For those that have cats that pee over the tops....

I have a few cats that have a neurological condition called Cerebellar Hypoplasia. When they were little they constantly fell in their pee and poop. Luckily as they aged they became much stronger and more coordinated HOWEVER they are bobbing and shaking all the time due to CH so even with high sided litter trays they are still going over the top. What we did was take a large dog crate and slid the litter box into it. Not only does it help with the peeing over the top issue it helps with the tracking of litter when they leave the box. We use our Golden's dog crates so they are very large. We also took off the tops of them so it is easier to scoop.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
The early morning vomit is probably bile puke. It means kitty is going too long between meals and bile is building up in the stomach. This is not uncommon when cats get older, they start to need smaller meals more frequently. It can also be a symptom of IBD or other digestive disorder.

I'm glad the probiotics are helping.

I don't have any litter flingers and I use yoga mats next to the litter boxes. The feet sink in to the mat when they land on it and it grabs the litter off the feet, reducing tracking down to almost none.

I don't have a lot of faith in asking vets about frequent puking. They are used to kibble fed cats so they think it is "normal". It is not.
Our vet did mention the bile puke, and he now gets several smaller meals throughout the day. He was recently diagnosed as hyperthyroid too, and since being regulated on medicine puking has decreased.

We use high-sided storage containers as litter box. The trouble is, you need to cut a space for them to enter the box and that hole is where the "butt overhang" or litter flinging happens. Of all the space in this giant box, they aim for the hole. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats