Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

We have two black cats in the family. My one son has Bandit:

And I have Lucky:

How can a cat named Lucky be bad luck ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 5,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

And I have Lucky:

Lol! Thats a great question! I want to get another Black cat when I get settled but for now, Midnight is an only child.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Superstitions are the result of misunderstanding (at best), or outright ignorance. In this day and age, it's patently ridiculous for anyone to consider a black cat to be 'bad luck'. If someone really believes that, then maybe they aren't intelligent enough to even live with a cat in the first place.

I gather from what I've read here and there on the net, that black cats are difficult to adopt out... but not necessarily due to superstition. It seems to have more to do with their color making it easier for them to be overlooked when they're in their cage at a shelter. Their plain, dark color doesn't catch the eye quite as well as the colorful patterns, so they get passed over time and again. It's a sad fact, and I'm glad to hear some are recognizing the problem and doing something to bring attention to them.

I had the good fortune to live with an all black male named Stormy, and he was an all-around wonderful cat who had the best personality you could hope for. He was a sweetheart that loved his people, other cats, dogs, etc., and absolutely had zero bad habits. He was special indeed. He went to the Bridge just shy of 18 years old around 1-1/2 years ago, and I still miss him terribly. Doubt I'll meet another like him.

I've known a few other black cats (and Tuxies) over the years, and they were all pretty much the same laid back love-bugs. Bottom line... when someone says black cats are special, you can believe it.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
I had a feral mama cat have her kittens in our lavender bushes. We rescued the babies, trapped Mama and had her spayed and then we released her. The kittens we took care of with every intention of finding them homes. Two were grey tabbies and one was pure black. The black kitty we named Bandit. Trying to find him a home was a big challenge. No one wanted him. Taking good photographs of him was tricky with his dark fur. After 12 weeks of no luck finding him a home, he had a home, ours. Bandit is a pain in the butt sometimes, but he's also lovable and he sleeps in his Costco box every day. He is quite a fun fellow and it's too bad that others couldn't get over his black fur and see what a great cat he is.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAndI View Post
Im sorry to hear about you cats. It sound like they were great pets and they lived long and healthy lives. And thats all we can ask for.

Thank you. I lost them a long time ago-2 of them about 20 years ago. But, all of them will always remain in my heart.

Cat

Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

And I have Lucky:

Bandit looks like my Bear. His eyes are just like Bear's. I don't have a pic of him scanned into the computer (he died before digital came out.) I should do that some day.

Cat

Old 05-15-2017, 12:19 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Honestly, I've never understood why people choose a cat based on what color it is! We choose based on personality/fit, not color. (That being said, two of our four were homeless, so we took them in, one sight unseen).

Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
I love black cats, I think they are beautiful, My first black show up at my door and he looked well fed and friendly. Well to make a long story short we fell in love with him and when we moved we took him with us. He brought so much joy to our lives. He died of cancer and I was heart broken. Several yrs later a black kitten came to my door and I just grabbed him and said you have home now. We really love him and call him the King od the House, lol.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:50 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Honestly, I've never understood why people choose a cat based on what color it is! We choose based on personality/fit, not color. (That being said, two of our four were homeless, so we took them in, one sight unseen).
*Raises hand*

I had always wanted an orange kitty, so when the opportunity arose, that's what I got.

I know, completely shallow and selfish of me.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
*Raises hand*

I had always wanted an orange kitty, so when the opportunity arose, that's what I got.

I know, completely shallow and selfish of me.
I always wanted an orange kitty too. . . and then one appeared in our backyard! ROTFL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats