Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:59 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times

Advertisements

From living with cats I know that everything that comes into the house must be investigated and two questions answered: Is it food? and Is it a toy? And many things that are not meant to be toys end up being more fun than any actual toy at the pet store

What accidental cat toys does your cat play with?

Any box
Paper bag
Plastic cable tie
Plastic bottle cap
Paper ball
Twist tie
Pipe cleaner
Nuts in the shell (pecans, hazelnuts, etc)
Milk jug ring (AKA buy a cat toy, get a free gallon of milk)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Empty toilet paper rolls
Wrinkled-up tea envelopes
Wine bottle corks (the plastic kind, not the real cork ones)

Watch it with the twist ties; my cats would eat them.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Empty toilet paper rolls
Wrinkled-up tea envelopes
Wine bottle corks (the plastic kind, not the real cork ones)

Watch it with the twist ties; my cats would eat them.
Yes, you're right; I was just thinking off the top of my head. They probably shouldn't be on the list.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Bottle caps, most especially the ones you need an opener for (noisier, I think)
Plastic bags (the noisier the better)
Noisy bottle cap(s) IN a noisy plastic bag (oh, man, nirvana, she will play with this arrangement for days)
rubber bands
Q-tips

Ha ha, just looking at this list and if she was a baby and not a cat, I'd be in jail!

Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
ping pong balls drive em nuts.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Bottle caps, most especially the ones you need an opener for (noisier, I think)
Plastic bags (the noisier the better)
Noisy bottle cap(s) IN a noisy plastic bag (oh, man, nirvana, she will play with this arrangement for days)
rubber bands
Q-tips

Ha ha, just looking at this list and if she was a baby and not a cat, I'd be in jail!
Good idea to combine two toys to create a third

Old 05-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
ping pong balls drive em nuts.
Yes! Where's the cheapest place to get them?

Old 05-14-2017, 06:54 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,866 times
Making the bed can be a lot of fun when you can slide on a duvet.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
In my experience it doesn't have to be a fancy or expensive toy to get a cats' attention. About anything that moves or makes a noise will usually do the trick. But for any store-bought toy, the mandatory rejection period must be observed first, regardless of how curious they are about the gift you so lovingly gave them. They usually get around to playing with it when they think you aren't looking.

As said already, the most mundane of household items can be the hit of the party. But, drawing on past experiences, I feel I should put a word of caution out here. As we all want to provide the best for our kitties, we sometimes loose awareness of the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Below are a few thoughts FWIW.

*Make sure all toys, whether made or bought, are too big to go under the refrigerator or any other heavy appliances. Failing that, be sure to have a working flashlight, a yardstick, or a muscle-bound neighbor on call for emergencies.

*Give some careful thought to the type of flooring you have before selecting a rolling-type noise making toy (the notorious Jingle Ball comes to mind). Such a toy might not be a problem on a carpeted floor, but most certainly will be on a hardwood floor outside your bedroom at 3:00 in the morning. A work-around is to pick them all up and secure them for the night, and numbering said Jingle Balls will help to make sure you have them all.

*Not strictly a toy issue, but if your bedroom is in close proximity to your bathroom, then do not teach your cat to flush the toilet. This one is pretty much self-explanatory.

*Large paper sacks (if you can find one outside of a museum) make excellent play forts, and were a favorite around my house for years. But as the cats aged they stopped going in them because they thought it was more fun to jump on the open sack (you guessed it) in the middle of the night. Eventually paper sacks were permanently retired from our home.

This is all in good fun of course, with a tiny bit of truth thrown in.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,013,145 times
Be careful with plastic bags. I had a cat that got the handle around her body and the noise terrified her. Took me 20 minutes to catch her to get if off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats