Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times

Advertisements

3 years ago I walked into a shelter "just to visit" and walked out with my precious Sydney. Apparently, she came from the home of an older couple who used to breed maine coon and angoras and they were getting old/sick and unable to care for these cats. It was pretty obvious as her fur was terribly matted and much of it had to be cut. The shelter stated it was a bit of a hoarder situation, so I am assuming she wasn't living in good conditions.

She used the litter box right away when I brought her home but then things started getting odd. She had a very nice litter box that scooped itself and for about 6 months she used it with no problems. Then she started pooping in my room, so I did a deep clean to the box thinking maybe that was it. Still wouldn't use it. I moved it from downstairs to the hallway beside my bedroom as she was only pooping in my room. She used it for a bit but then began pooping and peeing in my room!

I now buy a whole new litter box almost every month because she just STOPS using it. Just yesterday I emptied out all her litter, washed it and put all fresh litter in it. She pooped in the hallway, a foot across from the box! A perfectly clean box at that! This morning she jumps up on me like she always does. I thought she was going to cuddle, but instead she literally PEED on me. She squatted and starting peeing right on my lap. I hate to say it, but this is the second time she has peed on me while I was in bed I have to lock her out of my room when I am not home and when I am sleeping because she has ruined so much of my stuff (cat pee is NOT easy to remove).

She has been to the vet so it's nothing medical. She's not declawed but I have still tried many different types and textures of litters.

She does always cry to go outside, but I do not let her for various reasons. The main reason being she has very sensitive skin and she very allergic to fleas. She got fleas last summer, even with flea medicine, and it was a nightmare. She still hasn't grown her hair back out to how it was. I live out in the country, but I have neighbors who are cat hoarders themselves. They have over 80 cats (all well taken care of) So cats are always hanging around our home, or just in the general area. She loves sitting in my bedroom window and I know she sees the other cats. I am not sure if this is partly a territorial thing? But she came from a multi-cat home to begin with?

I'm just lost on what to do. I have had cats my entire life and never had this problem. I love her dearly but I cannot have my house reeking of cat urine. I get so paranoid sometimes that I can smell it on my clothes so I ask a friend to smell me! I'd love any suggestions on how to fix this behavior. Also if anybody knows of good products or good ways to get rid of cat urine I would greatly appreciate it. I don't think things will get any better until I can deep clean to get rid of the smell. I know even if we can't smell it, they still can :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 04:46 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
She needs more than one litter box. Sounds like she never had a choice of a clean box in her old life. Provide her with three or even four boxes. Some next to each other, some spaced out around the house.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:29 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I agree with more than one litter box. If she has a spot she routinely pees, stick a litter box there.

I use Nature's Miracle around the house for pet stains.

What did your vet say about it? Did s/he offer any suggestions about correcting her behavior?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,929,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
She needs more than one litter box. Sounds like she never had a choice of a clean box in her old life. Provide her with three or even four boxes. Some next to each other, some spaced out around the house.
ITA with this ^^^. If you have a covered box, remove the cover and try that. I use Rubbermaid tubs with a hole cut in the side (cheaper and you can buy any size you want/need).

Try and place the boxes in "safe" areas that give her some privacy but that aren't next to something scary (like the washing machine). You can try the Cat Attract litter and see if that helps too.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
Do you know how old Sydney is? During different aging steps, and not just the step into "senior", there can be age-related behavior changes.

Sometimes behavior changes are based on physical changes, for example, as a cat gets older it becomes more difficult to get into certain style boxes - same concept as humans (as 10 year olds we scamper over a fence, as 30 year olds we don't scamper as well, as 50 years olds we find we're less limber). My suggestion would be to look at a box and see how easy it is to get into it. Also, look at the size - is it maybe too small or confining now?

As suggested, I would also add more boxes. I had a problem dealing with eliminations outside the box, so I put 8 boxes around the house to see which ones got used. I'm now down to 3 boxes for 2 cats. Problem resolved.

But since Sydney actually pees on you, she's definitely telling you something. What that "something" is is a mystery - at the moment. Actually, the question is: is she urinating on you to empty her bladder OR is she marking you?

If she's urinating on you it is more likely a red flag that something physical is ailing her. I know she's been to the vet, but did he/she focus on urinalysis and bloodwork? If she has sensitive skin, and is highly allergic to fleas and who knows what else, maybe she feels like she's living inside an uncomfortable wrapper? Does she let you stroke her? Able to touch all parts of her including her belly and feet?

Another thought that if she's been holding her pee, maybe getting on your lap feels so comforting and relaxing that oops her ability to hold her pee also becomes too relaxed.

If she's marking you, then it's a psychological issue. Maybe the demographics of the visiting outdoor cats have changed, something she's very aware of and not confident with. Does she go on you at any particular time of day (such as mornings or evenings) and is it possible for you to see if there's any correlation with the outdoor cats' appearance?

The last thing I can think of is that something happened while she was using the litterbox and she's made an association with whatever that negative thing was to using a box, any box. It could have been a very scary noise or maybe she felt a sharp pain of some sort. Although cats can rationalize, they sometimes make mistakes and create the wrong associations.

I also use Nature's Miracle. Additionally, Hydrogen Peroxide is my friend - depending on location, I use it before Nature's Miracle because it gets into cracks and crevices and bubbles up the offending pee. I get your paranoia about smelling like a litterbox! So, as well, I've put Nature's Miracle (about 1/4 cup) in my washing machine.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
We run a 4 indoor cat home on 2 automatic litter boxes. The problem isn't quantity of litter boxes, it's a behavior issue, assuming the cat is neutered.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
It could be any number of things. Sometimes there are stray cats outside that are causing the inside cat to mark territory.

Jackson Galaxy has very good tips to solve litterbox problems here:
http://jacksongalaxy.com/blog/2014/0...the-litter-box

Thank you for rescuing her.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:33 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
What I would do is put the cat in one room with multiple litter boxes. Take away any fabric towels, cat beds, etc. so the cat doesn't pee and mark 'territory' on laundry. See how that goes. Maybe it's the cat litter brand that's changed. Cats are so picky. It's hard to see inside their heads.

But yeah I would go back to the basics and time out for some one on one litter box retraining. I'd also spend more time with the cat and some brushing sessions. Play some soft music in the room. I HOPE that works.

I had one female spayed adult cat that did this. Hers was acting out because we wouldn't let her go outside anymore. Any stray cat litter knocked out of the box became a place to go poop. Females are especially bad when they go into their diva moods.

You might also do a worming and make sure everything is clear down there. No tapes? No fleas? One of my cats goes nuts when he gets fleas. Just a few thoughts.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:34 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
I'd also permanently kick the cat out of the bedroom. Close the door and keep it closed. No sense in tempting fate!

Old 06-08-2017, 04:03 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
We run a 4 indoor cat home on 2 automatic litter boxes. The problem isn't quantity of litter boxes, it's a behavior issue, assuming the cat is neutered.
A "behavior issue" happens when a cat's needs aren't being met.

Most cats need at least two places to toilet, and more choice is better. It is instinctive behavior for a cat (as a prey animal) to poop in one place and pee in another.

"Behavior issue" covers a lot of ground, including a cat needing more litter boxes. Considering this cat's history, she has probably had no choice but to avoid litter boxes for pooping, if she wanted a clean place.

Thinking about a cat, her personality, her habits, and especially her history in the case of a rescue, is how one goes about solving "behavior problems".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats