Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
Yeah, I have to be real careful with the refrigerator. Yesterday, I couldn't find him in the house. He may have been sleeping under the bed. But, just in case I checked the fridge.

His paws seem normal to me, but you all know cats better than I do.

As long as he's never able to move this around, I'll be safe.
They aren't necessarily oversize, just larger than normal for his age. Paw size is usually a good indicator of adult size, i.e. small-average-large. My elder girl Angel was a tiny, malnourished thing when we found her wandering in the street at 7 weeks old. Even though she was skin & bones, she had huge paws out of proportion to the rest of her. True to form, she started growing and didn't stop for the next 2 years. She is a large-framed cat that grew to weigh around 13 lbs (with no fat). You would definitely know when she plopped herself in your lap. She's 14 now, and has lost a little of that bulk, weighing in at 10lbs. The nice thing about big cats is there's more of them to love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Welcome, George!

To our newest cat lady or gentleman: he does need more room. He'd almost certainly be fine running all over unless you have holes in the walls around pipes or other dangerous places. Inspect carefully first. If you're concerned, at least give him a full room.

Introduce him to other pets as well.

You've found a new friend.
Another piece of advice---keep toilet lids shut until he grows bigger. We almost lost a kitten that way. I just happened to catch the hind end as he was crawling down a toilet somehow the water would drain out of the bowl at times, something about a low water table, whatever. Buttons was a little guy, about 2 months old at the most, and I just happened to see his hind legs in the toilet bowl! I managed to grab him and pull him out, but in another second, and where would he have been?

Ialso had a baby kitten fall into the bowl. I heard a "splash" and found a tiny kitten swimming in the bowl, near drowning! She was one of a litter that almost didn't make it!

So, keep the lids shut!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Another piece of advice---keep toilet lids shut until he grows bigger. We almost lost a kitten that way. I just happened to catch the hind end as he was crawling down a toilet somehow the water would drain out of the bowl at times, something about a low water table, whatever. Buttons was a little guy, about 2 months old at the most, and I just happened to see his hind legs in the toilet bowl! I managed to grab him and pull him out, but in another second, and where would he have been?

Ialso had a baby kitten fall into the bowl. I heard a "splash" and found a tiny kitten swimming in the bowl, near drowning! She was one of a litter that almost didn't make it!

So, keep the lids shut!
Actually, that's good advice for any type/aged pets in the house. When I married my wife, she was surprised to learn that I always put the seat down when I'm finished. I explained to her that, being the little brother to 5 older sisters, you learn to do that at a very early age as if your life depended on it.
So it didn't take much effort for me to include the lid as well, and my wife was pleased she didn't have to 'train' me.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:18 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Actually, that's good advice for any type/aged pets in the house. When I married my wife, she was surprised to learn that I always put the seat down when I'm finished. I explained to her that, being the little brother to 5 older sisters, you learn to do that at a very early age as if your life depended on it.
So it didn't take much effort for me to include the lid as well, and my wife was pleased she didn't have to 'train' me.

Hubby's mother trained him very well. He puts the lid down ALL THE TIME. I think I can recall he didn't just a handful of times.

Cat

Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
51 solves on jigidi, and 4 comments.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times
The vet even said that he's a handful. Yesterday morning after I fed him, he wanted me to pick him up. He nustled on and off for about 30 minutes (longest he's ever done that).

Here he is after a nap.
Attached Thumbnails
Meet George - found him all alone-george-19-resized.jpg  

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
He looks like a miniature lion!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
He looks like a miniature lion!

And he sometimes acts like one.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
My dog likes to use it as his extra water bowl, and I have heavy ceramic tops on the toilet since he is tall enough and smart enough to lift up a lighter weight one. Cats can do it just as easily. One of my cats discovered how to turn on the water so he could get a drink, but he didn't learn how to shut it off.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Oh, he's a handsome little fellow! We found 3 of our cats in a similar manner: young kittens, no more than 8 weeks old, no mama and no siblings anywhere in sight, and none showed up subsequently. We continue to ask where DID so-and-so come from? It was almost like they dropped out of the sky.

As for the behavior, when we found our youngest guy 7 years go, he was a very sick little kitten. But he got well and then I remember saying to the vet, "I forgot how NAUGHTY young kittens are!". Eventually, he will get a little calmer. Eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats