Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Not necessarily. My outdoor cat got lost last year. Took up residence in someone's barn down the road. The only way I got him back was when someone took him into the vet and they noticed his picture from homeagain that was posted there. Definitely find out as soon as you can if it's your neighbor's cat (she may have cracked her garage door because she noticed the cat too and felt sorry for it). If it's not, take it to the animal hospital! With any luck, the owner has it microchipped.
If they get spooked into running too far sometimes they can't find their way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:38 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,734,603 times
No answer to my note so far. It doesn't look like her car has moved, either. Maybe out of town? The door had a mail slot and I slipped it through, so I have no way of knowing if my note was received. I wish I had taped it.... With her working third, and it being summer, it is common for her house to be dark at night, so it is hard to tell if she has been home or not.

The cat has started coming to me if I call it from a few feet away. Very friendly. We didn't have pets growing up. My cat is my first and only, so I don't have common sense- pet wise. My mom was scratching its head and said she couldn't feel any bumps/bites. However, today, I went and woke it up to feed it (this way I know the cat eats the food as opposed to a rabbit, squirrel, or whatever). It was following me through the yard but stopped to scratch every few feet. So I still feel like fleas are a possibility, but maybe not a severe case or perhaps a new case.

With my schedule, I really can't get it to the vet until Saturday, anyway. I'm going to continue to look out for my neighbor and hope she calls. If not, I'm leaning towards a vet visit on Saturday.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:50 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Keep up the good work!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 PM

Can you just apply whatever flea medication you use on your cat? When there was a cat I was trying to help I would have dosed him with Revolution if he would have let me. Fleas, ear mites, worms,,,,,,,,DEAD. A great start. (doesn't kill tape worms, but getting rid of other kinds that might exist still makes revolution a great bang for the buck).

Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,734,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Can you just apply whatever flea medication you use on your cat? When there was a cat I was trying to help I would have dosed him with Revolution if he would have let me. Fleas, ear mites, worms,,,,,,,,DEAD. A great start. (doesn't kill tape worms, but getting rid of other kinds that might exist still makes revolution a great bang for the buck).
I don't treat mine. She is indoor-only and not exposed to other pets, either.

If I make it to the store this week, I will try to remember. My mom mentioned it, too. I hate when I have super-busy weeks like this. I feel like my whole month has been over-booked.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I don't treat mine. She is indoor-only and not exposed to other pets, either.

If I make it to the store this week, I will try to remember. My mom mentioned it, too. I hate when I have super-busy weeks like this. I feel like my whole month has been over-booked.
Store-bought stuff is ineffective. Don't waste your money.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
No answer to my note so far. It doesn't look like her car has moved, either. Maybe out of town? The door had a mail slot and I slipped it through, so I have no way of knowing if my note was received. I wish I had taped it.... With her working third, and it being summer, it is common for her house to be dark at night, so it is hard to tell if she has been home or not.

The cat has started coming to me if I call it from a few feet away. Very friendly. We didn't have pets growing up. My cat is my first and only, so I don't have common sense- pet wise. My mom was scratching its head and said she couldn't feel any bumps/bites. However, today, I went and woke it up to feed it (this way I know the cat eats the food as opposed to a rabbit, squirrel, or whatever). It was following me through the yard but stopped to scratch every few feet. So I still feel like fleas are a possibility, but maybe not a severe case or perhaps a new case.

With my schedule, I really can't get it to the vet until Saturday, anyway. I'm going to continue to look out for my neighbor and hope she calls. If not, I'm leaning towards a vet visit on Saturday.
I would definitely take it to a vet before treating it for anything, even fleas. You can make a cat sick if you double dose it with flea meds.

I would also knock on other neighbors' doors.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I would definitely take it to a vet before treating it for anything, even fleas. You can make a cat sick if you double dose it with flea meds.

I would also knock on other neighbors' doors.
How will the Vet know if the cat has had flea medication? Obviously I am for a vet visit, but the question remains.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How will the Vet know if the cat has had flea medication? Obviously I am for a vet visit, but the question remains.
The vet might not be able to tell if the cat has been given flea meds but he/she could tell if the cat has fleas (which would mean that it might be safe to treat it for fleas).

Old 08-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The vet might not be able to tell if the cat has been given flea meds but he/she could tell if the cat has fleas (which would mean that it might be safe to treat it for fleas).
Gotcha. Yes, mine checks for 'flea dirt' or something. Digs all around in the fur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats