Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,789 times

Advertisements

Hi! My cat had to have the PU surgery 3 days ago,and I finally got him back today! We picked him up around 11am, it's now 9pm. He's eating and drinking here and there. Laying next to me, meowing and mad he's stuck in my room with me (we have another cat).
My problem is- he hasn't gone to the bathroom since being home. The box is in my room with the vet recommended litter(pellets). He never used that kind before so I put him in there letting him know it's for him. He hasn't been trying to go or anything, he just won't go and it's making me worried.
When we picked him up, they said he peed that morning time but none since.
Is anything about this something I should be worried about? He's never had surgery and I've been a mess the last few days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
He may not have to go yet. Try not to worry too much. If there's nothing by morning, I'd call the vet, but I expect there will be. I don't think it's the pellets since he probably used them at the vet's.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 PM

2,569 posts, read 1,644,568 times
Agree with NYC refugee, it's been close to 10 years, but if I remember correctly our guy took a while to pee too. From what I remember he was not allowed to go home until after he had peed so they could be sure everything was working correctly. They should have given you an instructional sheet, check if it says anything about the peeing situation. If he hasn't peed by tomorrow morning, you should definitely call them.

Is he on pain meds? If not, I would ask for them. It really helped ours with the recovery. And he should be confined when you can't supervise, so he won't jump and injure himself, or tear his stitches. Ours was in a recovery cage for a full 10 days as per vet instructions, he was only out when one of us could keep an eye on him.

Husband trained him to pee on command so we could monitor. He just put him in the litter box and said "make pee pee, make pee pee" and then praised him when he did. He still pees on command to this day. It's a long recovery and lots of worry, but when you hear a healthy stream of pee every single time and you no longer have to worry about obstruction, it's worth it.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,789 times
Thanks guys! He ended up peeing a little bit early this morning so I feel a little better. Yeah he's on pain meds,antibiotics,and eye drops since all the anesthesia made them super dry. I've been in my room with him non stop watching him, he likes to sleep on my bed so unfortunately I don't notice each time and he falls backwards. He's a sneak though, I went downstairs not even 10 mins to get food, come back, cone ismagically off. I wish I could make him pee like that, ive actually been trying but he's sick of my antics lol.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 1,644,568 times
That is great news!! He sounds like a Houdini, to manage to remove his cone.
It took a few days for ours to learn the pee command, so don't give up.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:42 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
I'm glad he's doing OK and thanks for letting us know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats