Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 AM

29 posts, read 28,683 times

Advertisements

I don't do vaccines past the age of 7ish, but I do bring them in for yearly exams once they hit 7 years old. It's being proactive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:53 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaKayLife View Post
I don't do vaccines past the age of 7ish, but I do bring them in for yearly exams once they hit 7 years old. It's being proactive...
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but am curious about why you don't do the vaccines after a certain age.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
You are a new pet owner, but you still know your pet better than the vet. My cat is 17 and I take him to the vet once per year.

Last year I undertook a pretty big move and my cat lost a few pounds. My vet was alarmed and wanted to put him through all kinds of tests and extra vet visits. I didn't think it was necessary and was pretty sure it was just stress, related to the move, so I opted to wait. Sure enough his weight is stabilized and at his annual checkup, the vet didn't see the need for any special tests...but still wants him to come in frequently.

I don't fall into the camp that thinks that all vets are just trying to bilk you for money. But they are in the business of presenting every option available to you. So you have to decide for yourself what is best for your 'family'.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:50 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Wrong person, lol. My cats not THAT old. Honestly he's on my lap right now, alternating between licking my chin and nipping me. I go to work in an hour though, so I'll try and remember to ask the techs when I see them, as answers here seem to be a tad all over the place.
Seems to me like responders have mentioned 2 options commonly - either once or twice a year. With one outlier for once every 5 years or so!

Does your cat seem ill? Is there a need for 2 visits per year for your cat? Or is your cat healthy and happy, with good teeth! In the last case, once a year should be plenty.

I wouldn't personally rate 10 for a cat as very old. More like on the edges of getting there - like 50+ for a human. Depends on the cat, though.

Still, I've met more cats who were over 15 than I have dogs over 15. And 13 seems common enough.

And my opinion would be towards the once a year visit, unless there was a good reason to do otherwise.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I had a cat that lived to 19 and I did the senior bloodwork but didn't stress her with 2 visits per year. I stopped all vaccines at 16. I said 'be real. she is vaccinated enough' and the Vet agreed. Even the groomer accepted her with no recent vaccines after getting proof that she'd had them for 16 years. Or 15, as at 16 I said seriously. No more.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Why do you feel the need to take a well cat to the vet?

Old 09-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There are things you may not be seeing. My elderly lady had a thing, I forget the name, that causes dental problems. The Vet would be able to see them and pull them before they could cause her pain. Also, bloodwork. She ultimately died of CRF, but if I am not mistaken it's possible now to catch that sooner and they can live longer with it, lacking suffering. I would not nurse a pet through an illness that caused them to suffer, but I will treat one that doesn't.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 PM

430 posts, read 335,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Well he's getting old, for one, and I am not a trained vet (yet) so I can't see things they do see. Plus he WAS a stray, so that's on my mind and I know male cats can get UTIs easier than a female. Teeth aren't the best condition (just plaque buildup) and they recommend a cleaning and just one, cause anything more would be overkill according to the vet, so until thats done he gets looked at.

Really I'm mostly concerned owner here. I really went in for a 3-6yo cat and left with an 11yo, which is getting old in my eyes, so I want him to have a great time with me. Even if that means taking my favorite pillow as his and staring at me when I want it back, ultimately laying down on it as a sign that it's his now

Old 09-30-2017, 11:16 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Well he's getting old, for one, and I am not a trained vet (yet) so I can't see things they do see. Plus he WAS a stray, so that's on my mind and I know male cats can get UTIs easier than a female. Teeth aren't the best condition (just plaque buildup) and they recommend a cleaning and just one, cause anything more would be overkill according to the vet, so until thats done he gets looked at.

Really I'm mostly concerned owner here. I really went in for a 3-6yo cat and left with an 11yo, which is getting old in my eyes, so I want him to have a great time with me. Even if that means taking my favorite pillow as his and staring at me when I want it back, ultimately laying down on it as a sign that it's his now
Forget that pillow; it's gone.

Since you have a regular vet (or are you moving away) you should take the cat at least once if he hasn't been to the vet since you adopted him. A shelter will do big tests like FIV, etc., but having blood and baseline stuff is good because the vet will know him. So if you call with some question, they'll have a better idea. You're still the front line as far as his health because you're the only person who will see any change in behavior, any troubles in the litter box, any change in appetite, amount of pee, sleeping, meowing, everything.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but am curious about why you don't do the vaccines after a certain age.
Likely because they are vaccinated enough by age 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats