Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:24 PM

430 posts, read 335,391 times

Advertisements

I see some people take their pets in twice a year due to age. My cat's 11 and I'm told that's getting old for a cat. He seems to be in good health (minus a teeth cleaning that I'm getting done) but should I take him in anyway? The vet suggested blood work due to age. I don't mind paying for it, especially since I work there and get an employee discount (and I'm told/seeing we charge a LOT less than other clinics).

Basically, should I take him twice a year or just yearly? I should mention I'm a new pet owner, so I might be overdoing it but I wanna do what's right and yearly seems a tad long for an older pet, but I could be wrong!

I do think about asking my manager, but whenever I think of the question she's: Busy, gone, or I'm in a position where I can't ask (at home, busy with people, leaving work and she's JUST now gone, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:07 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
No one can really determine that but you and your doctor as it depends on any health issues. The older my cats get, the more frequent the visits so have a talk with the doctor.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
Cats ages much quicker than people. It is recommended to have senior cats being examined and checked twice a year. As the cat gets older, more problems may come up which may warrant additional visits. But the general rule of thumb for seniors are 2 visits per year plus CPC panel.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
At that age I would do 2 wellness exams a year. I plan on doing that with my own cat (she's 7 now so she's "mature" but not a senior yet).

Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
I guess I will be the contrary voice here. Once a year is plenty for my older cats. Going to the vet stresses them -- some of them get VERY stressed -- and the older they get, the less I want to stress them. We do a "senior panel" of blood work around age 11-12 and then take it from there. We have 2 very elderly cats now (18 and 19) and I will not bring them to the vet unless they are acting sick or not eating. I simply do not want to stress them, and want them to live their days out in peace.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
I have a 19 year old cat that goes once a year and no longer gets vaccines other than rabies. We have to go at least once a year because she is on a medication for hyperthyroidism and they have to do a full blood panel annually to make sure the dosage is still correct. If she wasn't on those meds, we would never take her to the vet now that she's over 19 years old.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
My cat is around 11 and in the five years I've had her, she's been to the vet twice. Once was for ear infections almost right after I got her and then for gum surgery and two extractions when I was able to afford it. That was last year and the vet pronounced her a very healthy cat. All shots updated, all bloodwork, stool culture, etc., came back fine. I wonder now and then if I should bring her in, but without some indication, I can't see putting her through the experience.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
At 19, the stress of the trip to the vet will often do more harm than any actual good that will come from an exam.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Well, my cat has needed 3 extractions done, and the need for two of those were found at her annual wellness exam (the other one was found during the oral exam she received while she was "out" during one of the surgeries). So, don't anybody count out the value of a periodic checkup.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM

430 posts, read 335,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
At 19, the stress of the trip to the vet will often do more harm than any actual good that will come from an exam.
Wrong person, lol. My cats not THAT old. Honestly he's on my lap right now, alternating between licking my chin and nipping me. I go to work in an hour though, so I'll try and remember to ask the techs when I see them, as answers here seem to be a tad all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats