Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:53 PM

28,136 posts, read 30,066,402 times

Advertisements

I have had a cat for most of my life, from the time I was about 4 years old until now (I'm 69). The only time I ever tried having two cats at the same time, it was nothing short of a disaster. The first cat had been an only-cat for several years at that time and simply wasn't having another cat in her territory. (The new cat ended up dying suddenly -- the vet thought it was probably a heart issue -- a few months later, so I didn't have to deal with the problem for very long.)

Well, I'm about to try it again. This time, though, I am going to pair a 6-year-old female with a very young female kitten. Both are rescues and the 6-year-old has only been with me for a week. I figured things might go more smoothly with two cats that are both new to my household, neither one having firmly decided that the other one is an outsider. Let's hope I'm right.

My question/s are: Do I need two litter boxes? Two beds? Two of everything? (I can't even remember how I handled it before.) I clean the litter box daily and the bed the one cat is using is very, very large. It could easily accommodate two full-grown cats. I like it because it has a heating element (extremely low heat) that my last cat (whom I had to put to sleep 7 weeks ago at the age of 22!) just loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,920,332 times
The rule is 1 litterbox per cat and sometimes one extra if there are more than 2. I have 3 for my 2 but I used to have 3 cats. Mine sleep on my bed or wherever they want, not necessarily a cat bed, although I do have some Bed Buddies which I got at PetSmart. Just the right size for a cat. When it's cold, I put them on my bed as the beds do provide more heat. Two bowls for sure, set on opposite sides of the room. One water bowl should be fine. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM

814 posts, read 762,277 times
Watch the Jackson galaxy videos. The best way to start is by keeping them in separate rooms and let them smell each other without seeing one another.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,419,204 times
Yes, at least two litter boxes. Don't expect them to sleep together right at the start. They may become friends, but not cuddle buddies. Whether it's food, litter, toys, beds, your attention, etc., make sure you have plenty to go around for both kitties. Also, make sure to have some high-up spaces for them to claim when they need to. You would be surprised how much of a difference that can make in how your cats can get along, especially at first. Not all cats are 'tree dwellers', but most are.
As already mentioned, do your introductions slowly, and don't rush it. It needs to be done on their schedule, not yours. You may get lucky and they will hit it off right away. But it could take them a while too. Sometimes females can be more temperamental and territorial (now ladies, I'm talking about cats here ), but I think with one being a young kitten might work in your favor. If they do make friends, watch their play sessions for a while to make sure the older one isn't too rough.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yes, at least two litter boxes. Don't expect them to sleep together right at the start. They may become friends, but not cuddle buddies. Whether it's food, litter, toys, beds, your attention, etc., make sure you have plenty to go around for both kitties. Also, make sure to have some high-up spaces for them to claim when they need to. You would be surprised how much of a difference that can make in how your cats can get along, especially at first. Not all cats are 'tree dwellers', but most are.
As already mentioned, do your introductions slowly, and don't rush it. It needs to be done on their schedule, not yours. You may get lucky and they will hit it off right away. But it could take them a while too. Sometimes females can be more temperamental and territorial (now ladies, I'm talking about cats here ), but I think with one being a young kitten might work in your favor. If they do make friends, watch their play sessions for a while to make sure the older one isn't too rough.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Okay, I took everybody's advice and bought a second litter box. Where in the world I'm going to put it, I don't know. I also bought a cat tree. That's where the baby is now. I put her on the highest level and she curled up and went to sleep. The older cat is aware of the kitten's presence, but she's asleep on the large bed in the corner of the room. She slept with me last night, though. I really don't care where either of them sleep. The thing I'm most concerned about is our overly exuberant dog. She's between 3 and 4 years old, but is more like a puppy than a puppy. She's been around the older cat now for a week, and has shown no signs of aggression -- just an almost uncontrollable desire to interact. The older cat is supposedly 6 years old (she was also a rescue), but I have never seen a cat of that age less interested in playing or even exploring. Seems like she sleeps as much as my geriatric cat did during her last few years. I'm definitely going to take things slowly, but I'm not going to go out of my way to keep everybody apart. I'm just going to make sure that either my husband or I are around when any of the animals are in the same room together. Thanks for everybody's advice so far.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,623,109 times
6 is kind of old for a cat. Sounds strange, but it is. Has that one had an advanced blood panel by the Vet? I do find lack of exploration to be odd. Most want to see every nook and cranny of a new place. The only one of mine that didn't was ill. Not saying yours is, but doesn't hurt to get a good check-up.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
6 is kind of old for a cat. Sounds strange, but it is. Has that one had an advanced blood panel by the Vet? I do find lack of exploration to be odd. Most want to see every nook and cranny of a new place. The only one of mine that didn't was ill. Not saying yours is, but doesn't hurt to get a good check-up.
Actually, my vet was involved in rescuing her, so she's well taken care of that way. I realize that, for a cat, 6 is considered middle-aged, but I have a hard time thinking of her as "old," since my last two cats lived to be 18 and 22.

I am, however, surprised that she's not more active. I talked to the receptionist at the vet's office (who fostered her before I took her). She said she mostly just ate and slept. That sounds kind of like my 22-year-old cat. I wish she were more active. I might take her downstairs into the basement tomorrow. It's fully finished and there are a number of rooms she could explore without Friederik following her.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, my vet was involved in rescuing her, so she's well taken care of that way. I realize that, for a cat, 6 is considered middle-aged, but I have a hard time thinking of her as "old," since my last two cats lived to be 18 and 22.

I am, however, surprised that she's not more active. I talked to the receptionist at the vet's office (who fostered her before I took her). She said she mostly just ate and slept. That sounds kind of like my 22-year-old cat. I wish she were more active. I might take her downstairs into the basement tomorrow. It's fully finished and there are a number of rooms she could explore without Friederik following her.
Of the many cats I've lived with over the years, there were a few that weren't very active at all. They didn't care to interact with other cats, or play with toys, etc.. Mostly just ate, slept, watched bird tv, and got lovins from us humans. I guess that was all they needed to be happy, and they all lived to their mid teens. As long as she's are in good health, I wouldn't worry too much about her.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Of the many cats I've lived with over the years, there were a few that weren't very active at all. They didn't care to interact with other cats, or play with toys, etc.. Mostly just ate, slept, watched bird tv, and got lovins from us humans. I guess that was all they needed to be happy, and they all lived to their mid teens. As long as she's are in good health, I wouldn't worry too much about her.
I think that's how Allie's going to be. She's not even particularly into "lovins from us humans." Sometimes when I go to pet her, she shrinks back away from me. I strongly suspect most of her interactions with people have not been very positive.

I'm really baffled, though, by her reaction to the kitten. Whenever the kitten gets at all near her, she growls at it. Everything I've ever read about cats says that growling is a reaction based on fear. Why a 9-pound cat would fear a 10-week old kitten is beyond me. The kitten, on the other hand, is absolutely fearless.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think that's how Allie's going to be. She's not even particularly into "lovins from us humans." Sometimes when I go to pet her, she shrinks back away from me. I strongly suspect most of her interactions with people have not been very positive.

I'm really baffled, though, by her reaction to the kitten. Whenever the kitten gets at all near her, she growls at it. Everything I've ever read about cats says that growling is a reaction based on fear. Why a 9-pound cat would fear a 10-week old kitten is beyond me. The kitten, on the other hand, is absolutely fearless.
Hissing and growling by a resident cat to a newcomer (especially a kitten) is normal communication. The older one is telling the young to behave and respect boundaries. It's about respect and manners that the young one needs to learn. They most likely will find a common ground of tolerance, and maybe even becoming good buddies, before too long. Hope everything goes well for you and them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats