Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 02:26 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times

Advertisements

Bella is an indoor cat, 8 yrs old. She had her shots and annual check-up in October, also nail trim. Everything was fine.

A few weeks ago I noticed she was scratching and licking quite a bit. I looked her over, didn't see anything unusual. No change in her eating or litter habits. I occasionally put a bit of Vaseline on her front paw....that's supposed to be good for hairballs. I brush her regularly; no matted fur.

Recently the licking has intensified - almost to an obsessive level. Today I looked her over and saw 2 patches of fur missing - about the size of a quarter.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow morning; they'll probably want to see her.

Anyone ever had this issue with cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:09 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Any change in the household (loss of family member, new family member, job or hour change)? That can stress a cat and cause licking.

It is good you're seeing the vet so he/she can do a skin scraping and check for parasites.

We had this happen with our calico and, after taking her to the vet, figured out that it was stress (I had taken a 3 day trip out of state when it worsened). We put her on a course of Prozac to stop the obsessiveness, and eventually weaned her off of it. She is fine now.

Assuming her health is ok, you can also try Feliway or Rescue Remedy.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:32 AM

No household changes.

I called vet and she has an appt tomorrow (Friday) morning. Interesting information about the skin scraping for parasites....something is definitely going on.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:04 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
You didn't mention if you have your cat on flea preventative meds...?

I also had a cat with nervous licking on his belly...it's subsided now.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You didn't mention if you have your cat on flea preventative meds...?

I also had a cat with nervous licking on his belly...it's subsided now.
No medications. This just recently became a problem.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Are there visible fleas??? Their poop looks like black granules deep in the fur coat or they might be visible on the belly.

Of course, fleas cause terrible itching to pets and humans...best remedy is the flea medication given once a month as a topical...kills fleas, eggs etc.

Start this med *immediately to get your pet relief
and prevent further flea issues. Get from your vet or order by phone or online...

Brands Advantage II, Revolution

Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM

914 posts, read 737,927 times
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his cat Minnie. It got so bad that Minnie's legs and belly were completely bald After 1 year, many trips to the vet, loads of tests and different medication, my friend spoke to a neighbour who is a bit of a "cat lady" - she recommended changes to Minnie's diet. My friend changed the food he was feeding his cat and lo and behold, fur keeps growing back and she no longer licks and scratches like she did before Looks like it was some sort of allergy/intolerance to ingredients of the cat's food. Minnie is of similar age to Bella I think and had always been OK with her food until she wasn't.

I would definitely take Bella to the vet, but thought I should mention the story in case it's something similar that is causing the issue! For some reason, my friend's vet never suggest changes to the diet so maybe it's something to keep in mind.

Hope Bella gets better soon!

Old 12-29-2017, 11:24 AM

FLEAS!

Yep.

Took kitty to vet this morning. After listening to what I said and giving her an exam, vet said it was definitely fleas - and even showed me. eewww.

Gave her a shot (steroids)
Gave me a medication to put on her once a month for 3 months
Also a spray to use called Knockout (especially after I get carpet cleaned) $30 for a 16oz can
Advised me about laundering sheets, etc.
She also got nails trimmed

Since Bella never goes outside, I was puzzled how fleas got in. Vet said I (or even a visitor) probably brought them in on pantleg, etc. Said they have had a lot of flea cases this year.

This is interesting----> couple weeks ago when Bella started itching I was having an itching problem on my ankles when I was in bed. I thought maybe it was detergent used or lotion. I showed vet the area and was told it was flea bites! I remember using a medicated cream, and next day I did laundry and the itching (on me) stopped.

Anyway, vet said the excessive licking/scratching should decrease and stop in a few days.

Last edited by applej3; 12-29-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Poor kitty, glad you got the meds. Scroll back for Brand names of flea prevention meds to use if more are needed.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
FLEAS!

Yep.

Took kitty to vet this morning. After listening to what I said and giving her an exam, vet said it was definitely fleas - and even showed me. eewww.

Gave her a shot (steroids)
Gave me a medication to put on her once a month for 3 months
Also a spray to use called Knockout (especially after I get carpet cleaned) $30 for a 16oz can
Advised me about laundering sheets, etc.
She also got nails trimmed

Since Bella never goes outside, I was puzzled how fleas got in. Vet said I (or even a visitor) probably brought them in on pantleg, etc. Said they have had a lot of flea cases this year.

This is interesting----> couple weeks ago when Bella started itching I was having an itching problem on my ankles when I was in bed. I thought maybe it was detergent used or lotion. I showed vet the area and was told it was flea bites! I remember using a medicated cream, and next day I did laundry and the itching (on me) stopped.

Anyway, vet said the excessive licking/scratching should decrease and stop in a few days.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
WOW, I'm sure glad you took her in and are handling it! You just never know.

Hope she is feeling better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats