Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,524 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a 6 year old male cat that was diagnosed this week with cystitis. Besides the frequent urination he seems to be doing fine, no pain or discomfort. The vet prescribed antibiotics for him to take for the next two weeks.

The problem is that I am going out of town next week to visit my family for 10 days. I was planning on bringing my cat with me before he got sick. He has travelled on planes before between Portland and Miami and I know he does not enjoy air travel. The vet recommended I not bring him on my trip because of the stress it will cause and I agree. But I am new to the Portland area and I dont know anybody who could take care of my cat while I am gone. I have a roommate but I dont trust her to remember to give him the medication 2x a day and to keep an eye on him to see if symptoms recur. My only other option is to put him in boarding which I have done only one other time. He was only boarded for 4 days but I knew that it stressed him out. When I got him he had a small bald patch over his eye from what I assume was him rubbing his head against the cage excessively.

It seems that whether I take him on the plane or put him in boarding they will both be stressful events for him. But if I take him with me to Florida, after the long plane ride he will be fine because he loves it at my parents house and I can make sure he gets his medication on time. Should I go against the vets advise and take him on my trip if he seems to be doing well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
Hi, Ksgator. Sometimes love can feel complicated, can't it?

I've lived with many cats over time, including now four for the past 12 years. From my experience, I find myself looking at two possibilities: what's the best for the cat, and what will make me happy? That usually points me in the right direction.

If I were in your shoes, my first point would be that your cat's doctor advised NOT to make him travel. Sounds to me like PERFECT advice for a cat with cystitis, which can be triggered anytime, anywhere, by anything at all. And the goal is to calm down the cystitis and make it stop. If your cat does not like to travel, by plane or anything else, then he will be triggering the cystitis by his own worry and emotional uncomfortableness.

My second point would be that he needs to be in the competent, loving, dependable and KNOWLEDGEABLE care of someone who will actually know how to help him should anything untoward occur to him while you're away. Right? If you and he are both home, that would be you. If you're not home, for me there would be only one choice: to board him at his doctor's.

Whether he enjoys, or not, being at your family's is pretty unimportant in comparison with those two points, right? The POINT right now is getting him well, safely, right? Not entertaining him.

I would arrange his boarding, and tell them he'll arrive with a bed of his own and a favorite small toy (but not his most favorite, in case it gets lost). The more he has something familiar and loved with him, the more likely he might be to relax. But even if he does wear down a patch of fur, that's really nothing compared with staying safe, watched, cuddled, and correctly medicated, don't you agree?

I wish you both well! Just relax knowing you are doing what you, as his steward and love, are supposed to do: take the very best care of him. Never mind if he complains; you know best and you are doing best, and that's what you assure him.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,906 times
My two, have an outstanding 'kitty caretaker' when we go away. Mind you, our two can travel, and have done so, but sometimes, the vacation isn't 'kitty suitable' so, being that our fella has moderate renal failure, and megacolon, we feel that if he stays in his house, where he is comfortable, rather than being boarded somewhere unfamiliar, is the best option.

Our kitty caretaker, is absolutely wonderful. She administers meds, fluids, monitors the litterbox, our cat-kids are fed, their water fountain is maintained, and they get to stay in their familiar surroundings. The cats also really like the kitty caretaker, which is a bonus as well!

Perhaps this is something you could look into as well. That way, kitty stays in familiar surroundings, which could go a long way in kitty's recovery.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:58 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,535,887 times
I agree with AllForCats. Boarding sounds like your best option given your situation. I like all the suggestions for your cat boarding that were mentioned (own bed, toy, etc.). In the mean time, I would also look into a kitty-care taker for your next trip...or in case of an emergency. That way you can have someone on a short list to call if needed and you can take your time finding someone you are comfortable with. Your vet may be able to make a recommendation of kitty-care taker. I wish I would have thought of this as a job in college b/c I would have loved pet-sitting as a way to earn extra money.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I would take him on the plane with me, for sure.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
How about postponing/rescheduling your trip?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
Hello. I have a 6 year old male cat that was diagnosed this week with cystitis. Besides the frequent urination he seems to be doing fine, no pain or discomfort. The vet prescribed antibiotics for him to take for the next two weeks.

The problem is that I am going out of town next week to visit my family for 10 days. I was planning on bringing my cat with me before he got sick. He has travelled on planes before between Portland and Miami and I know he does not enjoy air travel. The vet recommended I not bring him on my trip because of the stress it will cause and I agree. But I am new to the Portland area and I dont know anybody who could take care of my cat while I am gone. I have a roommate but I dont trust her to remember to give him the medication 2x a day and to keep an eye on him to see if symptoms recur. My only other option is to put him in boarding which I have done only one other time. He was only boarded for 4 days but I knew that it stressed him out. When I got him he had a small bald patch over his eye from what I assume was him rubbing his head against the cage excessively.

It seems that whether I take him on the plane or put him in boarding they will both be stressful events for him. But if I take him with me to Florida, after the long plane ride he will be fine because he loves it at my parents house and I can make sure he gets his medication on time. Should I go against the vets advise and take him on my trip if he seems to be doing well?

I definitly understand with your vets point that your cat may get sicker with the stress. Your best bet would to not board him, but actually hire someone to come into the house. They could either stay there the whole time, or come in twice a day to give him meds. Regardless, I would let him stay in the house to reduce stress.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,524 times
Thanks for all the replies. I called my vet and she recommended a few cats only boarding facilities. I made a reservation at one place where Oliver would be in his own private room with a window, bed and plenty of toys. I like the idea of him not being stuck in a cage for 10 days and he gets playtime with the caretaker 4x a day. Hopefully this type of boarding facility will reduce his stress. I will definitely look into petsitters in the area for the future so that I am not caught off guard.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I called my vet and she recommended a few cats only boarding facilities. I made a reservation at one place where Oliver would be in his own private room with a window, bed and plenty of toys. I like the idea of him not being stuck in a cage for 10 days and he gets playtime with the caretaker 4x a day. Hopefully this type of boarding facility will reduce his stress. I will definitely look into petsitters in the area for the future so that I am not caught off guard.
Ksgator, what an excellent result. Your decision sounds wise and calm, for both you and Ollie. If his doctor recommends this place, then I too would feel comfortable about it.

I hope The Ollster gets well and that you have a relaxing, enjoyable time with your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats