Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times

Advertisements

My Heckyll is a black Turkish Angora. I didn't even know what breed she was until about 6 months ago. My TV was on some channel that was talking about cats and I couldn't find the remote and I ended up learning what breed my baby is.

I have had her since she was a couple of months old. I got her with her brother Jeckyll from Pet Rescue in Chicago 20 years ago. She is older than my kids so they know better to respect her. Her brother Jeckyll died 10 years ago, he chocked on a bone. (that's another story)

Heckyll is an indoor cat. She has always been very healthy. The only time she has seen a vet was when I got her.

Heckyll turned 20 on July 5th. She has been sleeping at night only on a pillow next to mine for the past 5 years. She turned blind and deaf about 3 months ago and today she just can't walk anymore. Her back legs have failed. I am devastated and I am at a loss of what to do.

I asked my husband what I should do about an hour ago and his answer was "you know what needs to be done".

Thank you for letting me vent. I know that she is not going to recover, I need to know what to do from cat lovers.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
I would take her to the vet asap. There are several things that could have caused this problem. Is she still eating? Drinking? Using the litter box? See a vet and take it from there. You won't know what to do until she is checked out by a vet. Good luck and let us know what happens. This is a great place to vent...we all understand how upsetting this is.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
I called them about 90 minutes ago and left a message that I'm bringing her in in the morning. I am just afraid to hear that this is the end of the road for her and they'll ask me to make that dreadfull decision.

She isn't eating today but she is drinking. She couldn't even make it to her litter box

Naima

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
My Heckyll is a black Turkish Angora. I didn't even know what breed she was until about 6 months ago. My TV was on some channel that was talking about cats and I couldn't find the remote and I ended up learning what breed my baby is.

I have had her since she was a couple of months old. I got her with her brother Jeckyll from Pet Rescue in Chicago 20 years ago. She is older than my kids so they know better to respect her. Her brother Jeckyll died 10 years ago, he chocked on a bone. (that's another story)

Heckyll is an indoor cat. She has always been very healthy. The only time she has seen a vet was when I got her.

Heckyll turned 20 on July 5th. She has been sleeping at night only on a pillow next to mine for the past 5 years. She turned blind and deaf about 3 months ago and today she just can't walk anymore. Her back legs have failed. I am devastated and I am at a loss of what to do.

I asked my husband what I should do about an hour ago and his answer was "you know what needs to be done".

Thank you for letting me vent. I know that she is not going to recover, I need to know what to do from cat lovers.

Naima
You did give the cat a good life. You also did enjoy
for 20 years your great friend. I would take as your husband did say, time
to say good-bye! You, for the love you have, need her to go in peace.
It hurts, and why not, you had 20 years! I am so sad, and be with peace.
Dogs go to heaven, and many cats have become there best of best friends!
Figure that one! You did all you may have done, so, love her, and let her go with your love! So, if St Peter, has dogs helping at the gate into heaven,
and since, cats have been there friends, they get in also! They also may be kind and let us in!

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-05-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
Take her to a vet! Discuss her history and see if anything can be done for her. It's not over until it's over. My daughter kept her cat alive for more than ten years after she was diagnosed with crystaling kidneys. She had to put her down on July 17th at 13 years. She was on so many RX's, but they worked. I thought I would have to put my 15 year old down in Feb. Two blood transfusions and lots of medicine later, she is doing fine! It is amazing what they can do now!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Follow your heart, and trust, and Believe! Maggiekate! If, I were to be a dog angel, helping Saint Peter, I would, Bring all animals, to health, but,
the hurt is to say bye, for now! As, you know, age, and health, 20 is old. follow, your heart! I also, with your post, would not put your pet into life
heroics, why? She is old, and, why the hurt, and pain?

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-06-2009 at 12:34 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Is there an emergency vet, if you aren't sure she will make it to the morning? If you do hae to let her go, in my belief system she will be running in the great catnip fields of the sky, with lots of new friends, healthy and happy. So sorry if this is not something you can treat.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I hope that your cat will be ok and I am sorry, I know this must be very hard. 20 years old is pretty old and it sounds like she has lived a long and amazing life with you.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Is there an emergency vet, if you aren't sure she will make it to the morning? If you do hae to let her go, in my belief system she will be running in the great catnip fields of the sky, with lots of new friends, healthy and happy. So sorry if this is not something you can treat.
If she goes to the pm vet, it will cost her mega money, anyway, it seems as
her best friend, will hold on! to be a cat, and alive at age 20, is great.
the hard part, is to say good bye my friend! When a person, or pet does get old, it is hard! Yes, it is hard, and believe!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I called them about 90 minutes ago and left a message that I'm bringing her in in the morning. I am just afraid to hear that this is the end of the road for her and they'll ask me to make that dreadfull decision.

She isn't eating today but she is drinking. She couldn't even make it to her litter box

Naima
If you don't like the answer bring her home.
I really, feel for you, but as long as the cat drinks water, take your time.
20 is old, but, if time you need, time is on your side. The day you go, is not the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats