Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM

304 posts, read 397,189 times

Advertisements

Hello 'Fellow Cat Servants, and a Hearty "Meow" to all fellow [and Lady, of course] Kitties,

I recently moved from Connecticut to Maine (after having a rather bad 2017, by losing my Dear Wife of 27 yrs of marriage, w/ 10 yrs of 'dating thrown in, AND the last of our four Children-Cats, Acey who was 16, and died last August 23rd.

- Broke my heart, twice, and tore whatever was left of my Soul right out of my body.

I'm getting ready to get 'the last two kitties' which I am attempting to plan, will live with me for as long as whatever 'shelf life' is left in me.
- Nothing morbid here folks, it's just that I'm a healthy/active 65 yr old, with no health issues, taking no prescription anythings, and figure that I probably have a good '15 years left in the ole body, making me 80.

Whoo, Eighty, now THERE'S something to think about.....

All of the four cats that my Wife and I had between the early 80's through last August 23rd, lived between 15 -17 years.
No matter what we could ever do to increase that time, didn't do it, you know.

I Love my Cats more than my own Life, I really do, and treat them [probably] better than if we ever had kids [didn't].

So, would anyone know what particular breeds tend to live the longest?

Catless in Maine

CT2MEwoodnutt

PS 'CATNIP FOR ALL ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a specific breed. Don't Siamese cats live a bit shorter, however?

Maybe whatever breed this cat was.

Diet is probably more important to longevity than breed.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I take that back, according to this Siamese cats live long:
https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-adv...at-breeds.html

Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
My suspicion would be that like dogs, mixed breeds would be the hardiest due to less likelihood of genetic diseases and more robust gene pools.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
As far as I know, cat breeds do not have the wide range of lifespans that different breeds of dogs do. I suspect that the hardiest cats are probably those who have been "messed with" the least: in other words, just a plain old cat - no smashed-in faces, no overly short legs... Those features may be appealing to people, but they aren't necessarily so good for the cat. A proper diet is almost certainly the most important thing you can do to prolong the life of any cat, along with keeping it indoors (including screened outside enclosures.)

Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
IMO, mixed-breed cats live longer, but again, it's a mixed bag. I had a childhood cat who lived to be 19. OTOH, my uncle has a Burmese cat who is 20 and still kicking.

The best you can do is feed them a high-quality wet diet and get them regular check ups, and take it from there.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
A none purebred cat would probably be less chance of having genetic defects and associated health problems. Fixed at earliest age.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:16 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
All my non purebred cats have lived to 16-19 yrs....

that's with attention and much love.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 PM

Default Hi Cowgirl & 'Moo tow youu' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
My suspicion would be that like dogs, mixed breeds would be the hardiest due to less likelihood of genetic diseases and more robust gene pools.

Hi Cowgirl,

You know, I was told that by a male Veterinarian, in Connecticut.
I was always interested in Maine Coon Cats, but don't know if I'd want a 20+ pound 'fluffy cement-block' jumping up on my lap to cuddle.

Well, that, and from what I've seen online, I couldn't afford to pay $150- for one(!).

I'll keep up the search!

CT2MEWOODNUTT

Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Yes, we always did that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
IMO, mixed-breed cats live longer, but again, it's a mixed bag. I had a childhood cat who lived to be 19. OTOH, my uncle has a Burmese cat who is 20 and still kicking.

The best you can do is feed them a high-quality wet diet and get them regular check ups, and take it from there.

Hi Rene S,

Yes, my Wife & I always got them the best food that we could, and kept up yearly with Vet visits.

(Ohhh, those Vet visits, with my late boy Acey...).

The poor little guy would ALWAYS hate going to the /VEts.
He'd make his "Mornfull Meow" on the way down, then usually vomit.
- Ahh, God Bless My Boy.

Irv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats