Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 06:46 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hi, question we have a 10 yr old female cat. We aren't moving far about 3 miles from our current place residing. However, our kitty has lived here for almost 6 yrs with a dog. Also was my wife's mother in laws house so cat was use to a large area; though mostly slept in a bed for majority of the day.

We are moving out of the MIL house and moving to a 450 sq foot studio apartment. Worried the transition will be difficult for the cat and wondering if we should reconsidering bringing the kitty. We are stuck on two camps: Bringing the cat to a smaller area may be better and the other camp bringing it to a new area/confined might place too much strain on the little kitty.

Appreciate any insight can offer up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Just one question: If you don't bring the kitty, does that mean she'll stay with the MIL? Or would you be rehoming her altogether? If the latter, I am definitely voting for bringing her along!! If it's any consolation, I've moved 20+ times in the last 20 years, and all of my cats/dogs have managed to adjust - even the old (17+ years) and cranky ones, lol. Cats are more adaptable than you might think, and unless she's particularly aloof, I think she'd rather be with "her people" than in a bigger place with someone else.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Take your cat with you, she is a member of the family. You are taking your dog as well, right?

The transition may very well be difficult for her but being abandoned by you would be much more "difficult". She may need time to adjust, that's all.

You don't mention whether she goes outside at all. If you plan to allow that you need to keep her in for at least 3 months, otherwise she may try to find her way back to the other house. Once the three months are up, I would advise going out with her and staying with her, at least at first. Or perhaps keeping her in permanently.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, question we have a 10 yr old female cat. We aren't moving far about 3 miles from our current place residing. However, our kitty has lived here for almost 6 yrs with a dog. Also was my wife's mother in laws house so cat was use to a large area; though mostly slept in a bed for majority of the day.

We are moving out of the MIL house and moving to a 450 sq foot studio apartment. Worried the transition will be difficult for the cat and wondering if we should reconsidering bringing the kitty. We are stuck on two camps: Bringing the cat to a smaller area may be better and the other camp bringing it to a new area/confined might place too much strain on the little kitty.

Bring the kitty over to the new house in her crate (spray the interior of the crate with Feliway) a day or so before you move if you can -- or early on the morning of the move. Put the crate somewhere higher, off the floor while you do other things in the house -- I've used the kitchen counter(s) and leave her there in the crate for a few hours to get the lay of the land. Leave a few treats inside the crate for her. She will watch everything you're doing while at the same time getting accustomed to the surroundings with you being there. Put her litter box in one of the bathrooms with the door shut so you can open the crate and let her use her box. You can feed her in there or in the crate also.

Don't let her roam the new house until you are all home and settled with the doors and windows closed.

It won't take her long to acclimate -- just be very careful of leaving a door open to the outside. Especially if you have small children. Hope the above works for you, I've moved a few times (4) including long distance of over 8 hrs. per day of driving with her in the car in a crate. The last time I moved, from New England to NC, she was 12 yrs. of age. A beautiful Ragdoll.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I agree! Take kitty with you!

Also, since she is older, can you give her a nice perch in a sunny window for snoozing? I moved my kitty from Ohio to Iowa, and the first thing I did was set up her perch in a south window. She was thrilled and has used it ever since.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I agree! Take kitty with you!

Also, since she is older, can you give her a nice perch in a sunny window for snoozing? I moved my kitty from Ohio to Iowa, and the first thing I did was set up her perch in a south window. She was thrilled and has used it ever since.
ITA with this suggestion. Also, cats measure space in vertical ways, so if you can add a window perch or cat tree that will make her space feel larger.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:21 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

I have moved several times with older cats over the years. Other that being a little wigged out for a few days after the move, the moves have been less than eventful. Pretty much boring. Except the last move. Our 11 year male grump loved the new house. It was a lot bigger, quieter and had lots of windows to stare at the wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats