Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I thought I would give this an update in case it helps someone else. It turns out the reason for the matting was that she was going through a shedding or pre-shedding period.
The matting continued for a couple of weeks or so and I would snip the matts out as much as I could. I noticed when grooming her, she was loosing a lot of fur, not in patches but evenly through out her body. Then like magic, withing a few days she began getting new fur and quickly replaced her old fur. Now her new fur is very soft and looks great and there is no more matting and she's grooming herself on a regular basis and she hardly loses any fur when I groom her.
I just thought it was interesting. Now I know what to expect when she goes through her shedding period again which happens about twice a year.
Yeah, my long-haired Sheba also mats up a couple times a year, and I've always assumed it was a coat change/shedding issue. The mats are always in the dense undercoat, and difficult to get out. I've recently made good progress in getting her to let me comb her regularly, but her belly is still off limits though. With her prevention is the way to go, because once she gets matted it takes an extra pair of hands to get them off. Btw- thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have a constant battle with Lucky's fur because of exactly the same issues. It is the undercoat that mats. I use a barbers comb, and sometimes have to cut patches out to get rid of the knots. I know there must be a better tool to do it, and have heard of something called the Furinator ( I think). Anyone have experience with it ?

I also got a couple of detanglers at the pet shop, that are supposed to cut out the knots, but they are only marginal.....the comb seems to be the best so far.
I've thought about getting one of those too, but I'm not sure how Sheba will tolerate it, as she's very touchy. They are pricey, and I hate to spend that much, and not be able to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 12:24 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yeah, my long-haired Sheba also mats up a couple times a year, and I've always assumed it was a coat change/shedding issue. The mats are always in the dense undercoat, and difficult to get out. I've recently made good progress in getting her to let me comb her regularly, but her belly is still off limits though. With her prevention is the way to go, because once she gets matted it takes an extra pair of hands to get them off. Btw- thanks for the update.

I've thought about getting one of those too, but I'm not sure how Sheba will tolerate it, as she's very touchy. They are pricey, and I hate to spend that much, and not be able to use it.
You described Mrs. Robinson exactly with her matting of the undercoat and only the undercoat. She's loves getting brushed but not so much about letting me snip out the mats. I'm only able to do one or two at a time, when she wants to allow me and she was getting a new matt almost every day during this period.

I doubt very much she would let me use anything but a normal brush or comb on her. Anyway, now I know it happens pre-shedding and during shedding. It must be a normal thing for some long haired cats.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:21 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Funny mat removal story from over the weekend. I've already mentioned that I use a small clipper-trimmer device that was designed for use with pets. It's the same thing that groomers use, more or less. Nimbus normally only has the patience for one or two mats, in a sitting. Lately he's got several on his rump he needed buzzed though, and he is not typically thrilled letting me do that.

This time, I put him on the floor on his side, and put the bundle of a soft blanket in front of him, and he started purring and kneading while I was buzzing his butt, and he didn't fuss or fight at all. I got all four of the mats I was after. How cool is that??

Old 10-08-2018, 02:49 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Funny mat removal story from over the weekend. I've already mentioned that I use a small clipper-trimmer device that was designed for use with pets. It's the same thing that groomers use, more or less. Nimbus normally only has the patience for one or two mats, in a sitting. Lately he's got several on his rump he needed buzzed though, and he is not typically thrilled letting me do that.

This time, I put him on the floor on his side, and put the bundle of a soft blanket in front of him, and he started purring and kneading while I was buzzing his butt, and he didn't fuss or fight at all. I got all four of the mats I was after. How cool is that??

I see Cat Whisperer credentials in your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats