Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:52 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

My 6-year-old cat, Allie, has a probable intestinal lymphoma. She was diagnosed in mid-December of last year. The vet said that if it wasn't cancer, it could possibly be IBD. We take her in for a steroid shot once a month, and give her 1/4 of a Mirtazapine every other day. She has been doing marvelously and just last week, I was thinking that she seemed healthier than she has at any time since her diagnosis five months ago.

Well, I just brought a new 4 1/2-month-old puppy, Emma, into the household on Tuesday evening. (We have a 5-year-old dog and a 10-month-old kitten.) Allie has seemed remarkably calm with the new dog. She has shown absolutely no signs of being afraid. They walk past each other in the hall and you'd think she grew up around Emma.

Anyway, here's my problem. She didn't eat well yesterday. (I have been feeding her a lot, because she lost a lot of weight when she got sick back in December. I'm trying to build her weight up again.) This morning, she hardly ate a thing. I did give her a very, very small saucer of milk after she turned up her nose at the food, and she enjoyed the milk. (This is a "treat" I give my cats once in a great while, and they both handle it well.) Anyway, I'm wondering if Emma's presence could be affecting Allie more than it appears on the surface.

To make matters particularly bad, my vet is going to be closed for a whole week, starting next Tuesday. They are moving to a new, larger building. I totally don't want to have to take Allie in to an emergency vet next week. The last time I used an emergency vet, it cost me $2,100.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 10:55 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Gee Katz that's a tough call. It's so important that a cat eat and you won't know whether she will or won't for a few hours, eh? I would certainly not offer or give her more milk but have you tried a treat?

Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Gee Katz that's a tough call. It's so important that a cat eat and you won't know whether she will or won't for a few hours, eh? I would certainly not offer or give her more milk but have you tried a treat?
I won't be giving her any more milk. That's just something I do on rare occasions, and I wanted to see if she'd drink it today. I just gave her some Friskies treats (10, which is the maximum she can have daily based on her weight) and she ate them all without hesitation.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:21 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I won't be giving her any more milk. That's just something I do on rare occasions, and I wanted to see if she'd drink it today. I just gave her some Friskies treats (10, which is the maximum she can have daily based on her weight) and she ate them all without hesitation.
I would not give her any more Friskies treats ever. They are pure "garbaarge", and this is from 2 vets that I respect. No more Friskies dry food ever either, please.

Try giving her some real cooked chicken minced finely and put some organic Chicken Broth that you get in the box with it. Also, if you open a can of tuna, scrape off some of the mushed up tuna with a bit of that juice and give it to her. Not more than a tablespoon of either one, and not more than once in a day for only 2 days. If she is not drinking water, get a syringe and give her water .... it is vital for cats to have enough water.

Cats are meat eaters, feed no grain. As for taking her to the vet and yours is going to be closed for moving etc., have your vet recommend someone else that he can fill in on your kitty's condition ... and get the cat checked out asap. And --why did you get a puppy when you have a sick cat ???????
Your kitty is sick, it is best for her to be your priority right now.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I would not give her any more Friskies treats ever. They are pure "garbaarge", and this is from 2 vets that I respect. No more Friskies dry food ever either, please.

Try giving her some real cooked chicken minced finely and put some organic Chicken Broth that you get in the box with it. Also, if you open a can of tuna, scrape off some of the mushed up tuna with a bit of that juice and give it to her. Not more than a tablespoon of either one, and not more than once in a day for only 2 days. If she is not drinking water, get a syringe and give her water .... it is vital for cats to have enough water.

Cats are meat eaters, feed no grain. As for taking her to the vet and yours is going to be closed for moving etc., have your vet recommend someone else that he can fill in on your kitty's condition ... and get the cat checked out asap. And --why did you get a puppy when you have a sick cat ???????
Your kitty is sick, it is best for her to be your priority right now.
When I want you to berate me, I'll ask you to. (!!!!!!)

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-11-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Why don't you call another vet, ask if they'd agree to see kitty while the other vet is closed...?

Sorry kitty is having troubles...wish I had some answers for you.

My cats love Friskies too, on occasion...

Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Why don't you call another vet, ask if they'd agree to see kitty while the other vet is closed...?

Sorry kitty is having troubles...wish I had some answers for you.

My cats love Friskies too, on occasion...
Actually, I adopted the cat from my vet last September. Her prior owner had brought her in, in a sealed container, to be put to sleep because he was "sick of her." Apparently, she'd been peeing outside her litter box. Well, the poor thing had crystals in her urine and was terribly matted. I guess she hadn't felt up to grooming herself for a very long time. It goes without saying that when he brought her in, she was scared to death. Anyway, one of the receptionists took one look at the cat and begged the vet to let her foster it. The jerk who brought her in said it was okay with him, so they treated the crystals and the tech took her home until she could find another home for her -- which ended up being me.

This cat is dearly loved by the entire staff at my vet's, and they all know her because she stayed there for quite a long time while she was recovering from her terrible treatment at the hands of her prior owner. I'm on a first-name basis with the vets, and I think three out of the four of them have been very involved in her treatment over the many months since she was rescued from death row. I've also become friends with the receptionist who was primarily responsible for making it possible for her to have a second chance. I texted her today and told her what was up. She talked to one of the vets, who said for me to not force her to eat (as if that were even possible), but to offer her food three times a day and call them on Monday if she's not better. I think that, if worst came to worst, I could contact this person any time next week and one of the vets would see her. I just don't want to have to do that, as I know they have many, many clients that they've grown close to over the years, and I know they'll be super busy next week.

Good news, though, is that she ate a little better this afternoon. She's just been so much better the past month that I was kind of shocked to see her stop eating yesterday. Thanks for your concern.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-11-2018 at 07:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
What about some (quality) sardines or other fish? I have read that Kentucky Fried Chicken (pull the meat off the bones first) is an irresistible bait for "Trap-Neuter-Release" use, maybe a bit of that will get her eating?

My thought is to just get something she will eat, get some calories into her, for the week, then back to your usual vet.

I wish you luck. You may need to check with another vet while your usual vet is closed.

Good thoughts to you and you kitty!

Old 05-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What about some (quality) sardines or other fish? I have read that Kentucky Fried Chicken (pull the meat off the bones first) is an irresistible bait for "Trap-Neuter-Release" use, maybe a bit of that will get her eating?

My thought is to just get something she will eat, get some calories into her, for the week, then back to your usual vet.

I wish you luck. You may need to check with another vet while your usual vet is closed.

Good thoughts to you and you kitty!
Thank you. She was on a urinary SO diet when I got her at the end of September and she really liked it. Then, about six weeks ago, she decided she was going to starve before ever eating it again. This happened literally overnight. No amount of coaxing, adding chicken broth to it, heating it or anything else was going to change that. So, I went down to a little high-end pet food store that's next door to my vet and bought a whole lot of the most highly-rated foods there are. They were the small cans, and cost about $1.80 a can. I've been feeding her four times a day, because she'd lost so much weight when, on top of the crystals in her urine, she was diagnosed in December with either an intestinal lymphoma (worst case scenario) or IBD (best case scenario). The last time I took her in, she weighed 9 lbs. 15 oz. I was thrilled. Anyway, she ate the super pricey food for a while, which was going to be costing me over $200 a month. Since I've got three other animals to care for, including a dog with Addison's, I didn't know how I was going to do it. After a while, though, she kind of lost interest in those foods, too.

In desperation, I bought a bunch of Fancy Feast Medleys, in every conceivable flavor. She's been on them for the last month. They may not be the top of the line in quality, but they definitely are an improvement over her starving herself. (The last cat I had lived to be 22 years old and was on Fancy Feast most of her life.) Anyway, the last time the vet saw her, her bladder looked great and the crystals had not come back. Now, I'm just trying to give her the best quality of life I can for as long as she lasts. During the past couple of weeks, the weather in my part of the country has been gorgeous, and she has so enjoyed being out in the backyard. It's been clear to me that for the first time in her life, she is happy, content, and secure in knowing that she's with people who love her. I just want it to stay that way for a while longer!

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-11-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 06:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
From what I have read, the Fancy Feast Classic food is actually pretty good, I had a diabetic cat who had got that way partly because he was a dry food "addict", but mostly because he was way overweight. I fed him the FF Classic food, recommended by the Feline Diabetic website.

Another option would be cooked or even raw hamburger. I would be a bit hesitant on raw hamburger since you don't know about e. coli for example. Or try some of the refrigerated fresh food that most groceries carry anymore.

When a cat comes to you as an adult, you don't know their history, you can only guess.

Again good luck and sending good vibes your way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats