Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Make sure you have the carriers secured, too. Heard of people not doing that and the cat running off and them chasing them.
You saw me by the side of the road didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 18,663 times
Took my cat to the vet last week as she gets a terrible rash on her back. Vet said to give her the regular adult sized Benadryl pills. (My cat weights 17 pounds). He said we could give her 4/day!! Said the dosing is very different and an adult cat can take a regular Benadryl pill. Just thought I'd pass along this information as I had been wondering this myself for a long time.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Bruckart View Post
Took my cat to the vet last week as she gets a terrible rash on her back. Vet said to give her the regular adult sized Benadryl pills. (My cat weights 17 pounds). He said we could give her 4/day!! Said the dosing is very different and an adult cat can take a regular Benadryl pill. Just thought I'd pass along this information as I had been wondering this myself for a long time.
You might want to recheck that dosage!

Rule of thumb is 1mg per 1 lb of body weight every 8 hrs....a adult Bendryl is 25mg.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 09-10-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
If I took 4 of those pills per day, I would sleep all day and never wake up. not to eat, or go to the bathroom, or anything! Sounds way too much for a cat.Pleae re-check!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I give my older dog who weighs about the same half a tablet when she's really itchy. I'd recheck that myself. LOL I give myself half a tablet and I'm out cold for ten hours Remember benedryl is a dehydrant so make sure to keep lots of water available at all times.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 29,341 times
Question Dosage of the benadryl??

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
I have used Baby Benadryl for my cats for years, sometimes frequently, to treat upper respiratory infections (URI). I've never heard that it makes them drowsy, nor have I seen that it has this effect on them specifically.

Baby Benadryl comes in two forms, liquid and tablet form. I have an easier time dosing my cats with the tablet form than the liquid. Apparently, it is the flavoring in the baby Benadryl that makes the cat's mouth foam up. So, the trick is to be really quick in getting the tablet down the cat's throat prior to him tasting it too much. The very first time I dosed my cat with this stuff, her little mouth foamed up like a bubble bath, and she ran around the house shaking this foam all over the place. I thought my vet was crazy, recommending this treatment. But since then, I've learned how to dose them to reduce this reaction.

I give my fairly large cats (they weigh around 10-13 pounds) 1/2 tablet, 2 times a day. I do this as soon as he/she starts to sneeze, which is the first indication that the URI is beginning. Generally, this will ward off a full-blown infection. I've successfully treated two of my cats who both have URIs for years now. It is far better than treating them with antibiotics which do nothing for the URI itself, since that is produced by a virus and thus, incurable, but will treat secondary symptoms.

A number of my cat friends use Rescue Remedy to calm their 'nervous' cats. I use Rescue Remedy sleep formula personally, but have never used it on my cats. You might want to look into that.

Good luck with your move to Arizona.
I have three cats who had upper respiratory infections. My vet gave me an antibiotic to give them for a week. She also gave me Hydroxizine for sneezing, runny nose....which didn't help at all by the way. She finally told me to buy Benadryl but didn't say what dosage to give. I live in a small town and could not find the tablets but found the liquid (cherry flavor.) I found this website and your statement about the URIs and Benadryl. This has helped me greatly!! The only problem is I don't know how much to give my cats. It says on the bottle 5 mls equals 1 teaspoon. I'm wondering if this is too much or the right dose. My vet is out of town, and my poor cat is sneezing, sniffling almost constantly. What do you think is the correct dose? He weights 9 lbs. Thank you. Pam

Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I have used this for reference before: Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®)

My siamese was about 9lbs and had a bad habit of biting things that bit back. I would use children's liquid Benadryl on her and if I managed to get 2-4 mg in her mouth it usually worked. I would start with a smaller dose and see how she responds.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 15,164 times
Would you give a cat Benadryl for scratching and itching that also has a heart murmur? She doesn't have fleas and has been treated with Frontline Plus.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
i hate when people type with lite colors . as per the BD ask your vet i had to give it to my cat who was pulling at his furs

Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Deborah: That seems like an insanely huge dose of Benadryl to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats