Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Warning...Kinda gross.

My male cat vomited today all over my lovely aqua wool rug. It was more liquid than not....I got up what I could but had to leave for an appt.

Now it's just wet, pink yuk all down into the wool. Thinking of waiting until it dries to see if it's easier to clean....moist as it is now just sticks like glue to rug fibers.

How would you clean it??

Tx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:30 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Having a carpet cleaner is a must when you have a pet.

And probably wool or shag rugs aren't a good idea to have around.

I'm constantly amazed by my cat's ability to barf on the carpet when there's a solid floor surface 2 feet away which would be much easier to clean.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Having a carpet cleaner is a must when you have a pet.

And probably wool or shag rugs aren't a good idea to have around.

I'm constantly amazed by my cat's ability to barf on the carpet when there's a solid floor surface 2 feet away which would be much easier to clean.

It's not shag thank goodness...

I usually use Dawn and cold water but might let it dry and see if vacuum might raise some of it.

Yes, hee hee, the wood floor was very close by!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
We have a wool runner on our stairs, and of course it's been puked on. I'd let it dry and then pick up/remove as much as you can. I've used Oxiclean on our runners safely and it works pretty well. You can try a vinegar mixture, but I'd test it in a hidden area first.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Our older cat (Penelope) pukes all the time. It seems like she pukes every day. She has puked in our bed, but generally pukes on the hardwood floor. Both my wife and I have stepped in it. This morning I found two separate pukes about a foot apart. Pretty easy to clean as it was on hardwood. Paper towels are your friend!

Despite all that, Penelope is our friend for life.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
As an occasional pet-barf custodian, here is my trick:
Cut a small paper plate in half. Bring the two halves together, steam shovel-wise, to scoop up the solid mess, and dump all in the trash. You get up more stuff this way. Save the paper towels for the wet mess left behind.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
We have a wool runner on our stairs, and of course it's been puked on. I'd let it dry and then pick up/remove as much as you can. I've used Oxiclean on our runners safely and it works pretty well. You can try a vinegar mixture, but I'd test it in a hidden area first.

I left it overnight and now will work on it....
Thanks

Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
If it's real wool, I might try something like Woolite. On regular nylon carpet I've used Tide very successfully. I use 1 Tbsp Tide powder in the tank of my carpet cleaner — it works great and doesn't suds up much.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:40 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Warning...Kinda gross.

My male cat vomited today all over my lovely aqua wool rug. It was more liquid than not....I got up what I could but had to leave for an appt.

Now it's just wet, pink yuk all down into the wool. Thinking of waiting until it dries to see if it's easier to clean....moist as it is now just sticks like glue to rug fibers.

How would you clean it??

Tx
If it’s a space rug, we first put down a plastic shopping bag between it and the floor to control moisture. We then take a butter knife and scrape off what we can. Then we take some mildly soapy (dish detergent) water or sometimes use Woolite, and dampen the area thoroughly with that. Then we start blotting with dry paper towels. Repeat as necessary. For wall to wall carpeting, we usually use the Woolite and don’t soak the area quite as wet since we can’t get under it. It might take a couple repeats.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Haven't had cats for years because of our lifestyle but had them for years before. I'd managed to completely forget that lovable trait of most cats. That shows how selective memory is great sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats