Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,934 times

Advertisements

My parents just returned home after a days absent and found a floor vent up and out of its hole. All cats accounted for but one. Mom is now worried she has gotten down into vent . Any ideas or suggestions very much appreciated!! We have suggested taking out a vent in another room that can be closed off from the others, we do not need anybody else following suit, and putting food and box in this closed off space . We hope/think when all is quite she may come out. But have never had this happen in all our cat years, So thanks in advance for any ideas. Yes, AC is off! VGT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I'd call the heat/ac guy....if your way does not work.

cat 911

Guy I know heard his kitten crying somewhere....sledgehammer to bathroom tile, kitty rescued!

Contractors had tiled her up behind the wall.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I had a similar problem as the OP. Couldn't find my cat in the house. Checked all the hiding places, nothing. It was near dinner time for the cat, didn't show up. I started thinking he got loose outside the house. I was walking around the property and heard "mew." So pathetic. Obviously my cat. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Heard it again... from above me. I was standing under the overhang of the garage. The cat was in the eaves.

Earlier I was in the eaves moving boxes around and the cat probably came in there and jumped down from the subfloor to the soffit below. I thought about taking a reciprocal saw and cutting a hole but I didn't know if the cat was confined to a small area without a way to move away from where I'd be cutting the hole. I went up into the eaves again and was able to see him but he was out of my reach.

I broke out my trusty laser pointer. Aimed it to get his attention. Started to point it upwards towards where I could reach - his paw came up and I grabbed him right then and there.

So, my anecdote aside. If your vents are fed from a crawlspace, get down in the crawlspace and see if you can figure out where the cat is by sound. You can probably remove the ductwork to get access. Depending on how handy you or your family are, you can probably put it back together yourself afterwards or hire a handyman to do it.

Another option - do what you are doing. Put food near the opening. See if the cat eats it. If the food is eaten, you've proved the cat is in there. If it isn't eaten... you likely proved nothing. However, if you hear the cat, you can try a laser pointer. Some cats react very well to that and will try to chase it. You might be able to get your hand down the vent and grab the cat if it is close enough.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,934 times
Smile Thanks for replys.

UPDATE! Duct cleaners came to the house and checked duct work and could find no sign of her . One man nice enough to look around outside and found where she had dug a hole out from under the system, all for 35.00 dollars, what a bargain!!! Anyway now know she is outside and not stuck. Thanks for replys. Her cat mama and human mama out looking for her as we speak.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
That is great she is got out and is not trapped. Set up a live trap near where she dug out and use her favorite food to lure her in.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Good news, and hope you find her soon.

Thanks for the update.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:37 PM

732 posts, read 884,176 times
Leave her little box outside. She will smell it and use it thus returning home.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Good luck with your search. Please let us know if you find her. And what nice duct cleaning men!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats