Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 01:23 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

My male cat, 12 yrs., acts as if he cannot see well during one activity. When I give him a spoon with a little ice cream, he can't seem to find a way to lick the spoon. He pulls back to look at the spoon but again when he moves forward to lick it he completely misses the spoon. He does the same with the discarded top of cottage cheese...he wants to lick it but doesn't seem able to find it with his tongue.

He does ok with daily living...

Do I have too much time on my hands or does that sound odd, maybe a vision issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 01:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My male cat, 12 yrs., acts as if he cannot see well during one activity. When I give him a spoon with a little ice cream, he can't seem to find a way to lick the spoon. He pulls back to look at the spoon but again when he moves forward to lick it he completely misses the spoon. He does the same with the discarded top of cottage cheese...he wants to lick it but doesn't seem able to find it with his tongue.

He does ok with daily living...

Do I have too much time on my hands or does that sound odd, maybe a vision issue?
From your description I would say it would be worth looking into. Perhaps a call to your vet for an opinion would be in order. Especially if this is something new.

That said, I not sure how well they see close-up. I've had a few cats that acted as though they couldn't find the food bowl unless it was right under their nose. But I don't know if that was poor eyesight, or just laziness.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
From your description I would say it would be worth looking into. Perhaps a call to your vet for an opinion would be in order. Especially if this is something new.

That said, I not sure how well they see close-up. I've had a few cats that acted as though they couldn't find the food bowl unless it was right under their nose. But I don't know if that was poor eyesight, or just laziness.

Yes, have had the food bowl issue too...

Old 11-27-2018, 02:15 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Cats can have issues with lighting, especially brighter lights. Somewhere online I saw a video once that described how a cat sees in the bright light...sort of blurry. And it's better in sort of evening light.

On the same lighting issue, I had a dog with cognitive dysfunction who was afraid of shadows, not quite able to think the way she used to and realize that the shadow was not a hole. So there's that too.

Have you experienced "old eyes" , as some call them, in animals or humans? Sort of not clear, looking like there's a sort of film over them. That can be a clue too.

But, best, of course is to have the vet take a look.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:31 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Our Benny has had eye issues most of his life. This sounds a bit odd to me, like a depth perception issue maybe? It might be worth having a vet check his eye pressure and blood pressure to make sure nothing is going on (high blood pressure can cause eye issues, high eye pressure can mean glaucoma).

Assuming his health/eye pressure is good, there is likely nothing to be done. Cats are adaptable and can do fine with limited vision. Just don't go moving furniture around often. :-)

Old 11-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Cats can have issues with lighting, especially brighter lights. Somewhere online I saw a video once that described how a cat sees in the bright light...sort of blurry. And it's better in sort of evening light.

On the same lighting issue, I had a dog with cognitive dysfunction who was afraid of shadows, not quite able to think the way she used to and realize that the shadow was not a hole. So there's that too.

Have you experienced "old eyes" , as some call them, in animals or humans? Sort of not clear, looking like there's a sort of film over them. That can be a clue too.

But, best, of course is to have the vet take a look.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I would definitely check with your vet. Diabetes, kidney disease and other ailments can lead to high blood pressure that can affect the eyes.

Case in point, my cat (18 years old) is in kidney failure and I noticed that she seemed lost/stumbling. Then last night, I noticed that her pupils were dilated. A trip to the vet was in order. Hopefully, we can rectify the issue so that she does not go blind.

Please check with your vet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats