Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times

Advertisements

Ok online C-D cat people...I need some input! TIA

A month ago, another kitten was dumped on my door step. It was small, and hadn't been fully weaned yet.
I brought it inside, checked it over. It had no fleas. Looked healthy.

Well now, thanks to my own cats, it has some fleas. Granted, not very many. I did treat it with the kitten Advantage flea treatment.

Now it appears to be having flea allergy. Scratching raw spots around his neck and ears. I did some searches, and I have given him 2 doses of Benedryl...half pills. That is freaking him out, although it seems to work.

I have also been applying bag balm and some Desitin to the wounds. Those didn't really help. So I went to my herb garden and picked some thyme and rosemary to make a tea for applying to his wounds. Now, that seams to be helping, calming down the itching. Also promoting healing.

But....is there anything else available out there that is better for treating cat flea allergies?

fyi; I don't plan on keeping the kitten. I already have 4 that were previously dumped here, and cannot afford yet another one. I just think people won't be as eager to adopt him if he has those skin allergies.

If I can get him cleaned up, he will feel better and be more adoptable.

Oh, I bathed him in warm water and used some dandruff shampoo on the sores. That helped, but again, I can't just bathe him too often.

Hmmm...thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
If you'd treat all your cats with monthly flea treatments then the kitten would have no issues. Putting it just on the kitten is no help.

Think of these annoying parasites that suck blood daily from your cats and cause them to itch constantly......the cats deserve the monthly flea treatments.

You also need to wash their bedding in hot water and to use a flea bomb in your house.

You can order meds like Advantage II or Frontline online from Chewy.com and get decent pricing. DON'T use Hertz or other cheap brands...very dangerous.

Good of you to take the kitten in....hope you find a good home.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:53 AM

Thank you for your input.
I had just treated the older cats just before he showed up. I only had 2 kitten treatments remaining in the package from the older cats, so I used one on him.

They don't have any preferred bedding. I treat where i find they have a preference to sleep. That changes constantly.

I just wondered if there are any other options out there I hadn't come across yet.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:14 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I have no ideas, we had a cat once, with the same allergy, I think the vet gave her an antihistamine shot. She should clear up on her own, as long as she keeps getting the advantage flea killer. I hope she will heal well & Bless you for taking her in.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have no ideas, we had a cat once, with the same allergy, I think the vet gave her an antihistamine shot. She should clear up on her own, as long as she keeps getting the advantage flea killer. I hope she will heal well & Bless you for taking her in.
My girl Gypsy (at the Bridge now) had a pretty severe allergy to fleas. When she had a flare up in 2012 I'm pretty sure my vet gave her an antihistamine shot as well. But the problem didn't go away until I de-flead my house. At the time the Frontline Plus I was using had stopped working, and that caused the problem.
Bottom line is, as long as your kitten is exposed to fleas, her skin won't likely clear up completely. As the other poster said, you'll need to get the fleas under control if the kitten is going to stay with you , even for a short time.
Btw- I switched to Revolution 5 years ago, and haven't had a flea issue since. Just an FYI.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Update; It wasn't a flea allergy at all. It is a fungal infection, and I have been treating it with Nu-Stock mixed with coconut oil. He has done very well with it, and his skin lesions are just about gone.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Thank you for the update, and glad your kitty is doing better.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Thank you for the update, and glad your kitty is doing better.
You are welcome! I appreciated all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats