Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFonte View Post
Crazy - I can not find a single forum or FB group! Still searching. Also, looking for alternative/holistic medicine cat sites if anyone knows of any.

I adopted Mica and he is eating everything - today he wanted to nibble on mustard greens, he eats all of the dog's treats and ate some gluten-free bread. He is weird. He also has (I think) something going on with his back molar. His breath is terrible and that is wrong for a kitten.

The vert and I both thought his teeth looked awesome but I finally looked way back in his mouth and saw that the gumline of his back top molar is bright red - unlike the rest of his gumline. Last night, he vomited bile with tiny flecks of blood so something is off.

He eats chicken and chicken wings like a champ. Tomorrow I try chicken feet.

I realized the reason I want support in feeding him is bc he is an obligate carnivore as opposed to my dogs who are opportunistic carnivorous scavengers. Being classified as scavengers means I can literally feed them trash and they can handle it (I do not feed them trash but do feed 10% of their diet food scraps from my fridge) but kitty is not so.

Do your cats eat anything - bread, veggies, crackers, etc. He wants everything!

Thanks for your input!

Peace, Maria B

What is it these places are lacking that you are looking for? The Raw Feeding for IBD group I recommended has all that, raw feeding experience, recipes, support, many helpful articles on the webpage, focus on holistic approaches.

I feed a rotation of home made raw (prey model, but using egg shell calcium instead of bone), muscle meat with a pre-mix (I rotate between two pre-mixes), and some commercial raw product. Very little of that, now that Rad Cat has closed down though, just a few meals a week of another brand, for some protein variety for one of my cats.

I did have one cat who loved her chicken wings and necks, but she left us in January so I don't feed bones any more except the ground bone in the aforementioned commercial product..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:10 PM

27 posts, read 37,744 times
Vet appointment has been made. And I am sure I will enjoy other cat-related topics but I really need to find people who feed raw who can answer my questions.

I also prefer to treat at home as much as possible vs. taking my pets to the vet. IMHO, they get most things wrong - vaccines, poison, and toxic flea and heartworm meds are pushed, crap food is pushed, no studying of nutrition. They are no different than doctors who get fed by big pharma.

I had access to a holistic vet before I moved. There is one down here who is an hour away - sigh, I guess I should take the trip but anesthesia and xrays are in order at this point.

I do not know what else would cause a red gumline

Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Fastest way is EVERY meal henceforth need be raw. Buy Primal or any decent store brand & begin asap. Every dry or canned day is damage to cat kidneys or health. I may sound nuts but trust me I'm not.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Vet appointment has been made. And I am sure I will enjoy other cat-related topics but I really need to find people who feed raw who can answer my questions.

I also prefer to treat at home as much as possible vs. taking my pets to the vet. IMHO, they get most things wrong - vaccines, poison, and toxic flea and heartworm meds are pushed, crap food is pushed, no studying of nutrition. They are no different than doctors who get fed by big pharma.

I had access to a holistic vet before I moved. There is one down here who is an hour away - sigh, I guess I should take the trip but anesthesia and xrays are in order at this point.

I do not know what else would cause a red gumline

Again, I have given you a place to go where all your questions will be answered. Raw feeding, recipes knowledgeable and experienced people, focus on holistic approaches. What more could you ask for?

Many members there use the vet for necessary diagnostics only and share your opinions. The discussion of any other food but raw, except as it relates to transition, is forbidden, in fact an offense that will get you banned.

I believe I already posted the link to the website. The FB group is closed, you have to request to join.

However you are correct that a dental problem requires the vet.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 PM

27 posts, read 37,744 times
So here is a question:

my dogs do not play with their food. I put a chicken leg on a towel and they eat it. The cat likes to play with his whole prey food - he has a chicken foot and he is swatting it around and dragging it all over the floor and he is also chewing and eating it. I had a little feeding station with a mat and a towel on a shelf but he whacked it off the shelf onto the floor. Luckily, I heard him so now I will know to clean the floor but...what system do people use for cats? I can see a dog crate working to contain the mess but I'd really rather not have one inside my house. I could potentially set it up in the garage and feed him there like I do the dogs. But I'd love to hear of other ideas...

Old 02-18-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
So here is a question:

my dogs do not play with their food. I put a chicken leg on a towel and they eat it. The cat likes to play with his whole prey food - he has a chicken foot and he is swatting it around and dragging it all over the floor and he is also chewing and eating it. I had a little feeding station with a mat and a towel on a shelf but he whacked it off the shelf onto the floor. Luckily, I heard him so now I will know to clean the floor but...what system do people use for cats? I can see a dog crate working to contain the mess but I'd really rather not have one inside my house. I could potentially set it up in the garage and feed him there like I do the dogs. But I'd love to hear of other ideas...
I will let catsmom reply here. If it were i, I'd use a raw that isn't bones or some leg from supermarket of chicken, etc.

It need be containing Taurine & other essentials & most home folk cant do that well.

Buy a commercial raw & know that it is bio species appropriate --yet easier to use & not messup with/on. Catsmom will add more...

Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 PM

What kind of dish are you using? I use a large flat plate for bony are large chunk meals.

I've never had that problem. I know some people have trained their cats to eat in crates, or kept contained in one room. You might try feeding him on an elevated space to see if that keeps him in one spot.

Mica is young and trainable, if you want to go that route. Or he may grow out of the playing with his food stage I don't know. My cats eat their raw meals out of their dishes.

Videos of Jennie (Angel) eating a neck, wing, chunk of meat, all stay contained in her dish Jennie was a rescued stray raising a family on her own at time of rescue. Hunting food was serous business to her, she never played with it. I don't know how to make them embed.

https://youtu.be/HeLxQ0Ti8Aw

https://youtu.be/VhAePwjam6o

https://youtu.be/ZAzsMcyYjp4

Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
our cat Penelope is really partial to chicken livers. She will tolerate other foods, but she will slobber down a plate of livers everyday.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I have seen chicken feet sold in Asian markets. There is no meat on them, just skin, bones, and claws. It doesn't surprise me that the cat is batting it around the room and playing with it.

I fed my cats from bowls. They occasionally would drag a larger chunk of meat or a larger bone out of the bowl to gnaw on it. They did not bat it around or play with it.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What kind of dish are you using? I use a large flat plate for bony are large chunk meals.

I've never had that problem. I know some people have trained their cats to eat in crates, or kept contained in one room. You might try feeding him on an elevated space to see if that keeps him in one spot.

Mica is young and trainable, if you want to go that route. Or he may grow out of the playing with his food stage I don't know. My cats eat their raw meals out of their dishes.

Videos of Jennie (Angel) eating a neck, wing, chunk of meat, all stay contained in her dish Jennie was a rescued stray raising a family on her own at time of rescue. Hunting food was serous business to her, she never played with it. I don't know how to make them embed.

https://youtu.be/HeLxQ0Ti8Aw

https://youtu.be/VhAePwjam6o

https://youtu.be/ZAzsMcyYjp4
Beautiful post of Jennie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats