Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,778 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My boyfriend and I found a cute lil orange haired male on our porch Tuesday afternoon (it’s now Friday morning). That next morning I saw he had been experiencing diarrhea, often only getting it after he’d eat. Like within 15 minutes of eating. So I took him to the vet Wednesday after seeing and they did a stool sample among other tests. They said it was negative for parasites etc and it was just an inflammation of the gut. They sent me home with flagyl to administer every 12 hours. I’ve noticed no change in his stool. He’s also been sleeping a lot since we got him but his appetite is awesome. Eating two normal sized meals of dry kitten chow and a small snack in the afternoon. Could there have been something the vet missed? He was cleared for leukemia/cat aids (can’t think of the actual name of it). Or am I just impatient?
I’m probably mostly impatient because it’s runny poo and when he goes to bury it, he has stepped in it quite a few times causing me to clean him up or watch him every time he goes to the bathroom lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 03:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
How old is the kitten? All kittens need worming. A fecal float will not pick up every parasite.

Kittens need to be fed wet food 5 or more times a day. No dry. Especially a kitten with diarrhea, he wil be terribly dehydrated.

You can give the Flagyl time to work, it's only been not even 2 days right? I don't know why vets always prescribe flagyl. It's not very effective.

I think your kitten needs worming (appropriate dose of drontal) and probiotics. S.boulardi specifically.

Have a read of this:

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

And this:

Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Scroll down to the emergency stop diarrhea protocol

Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How old is the kitten? All kittens need worming. A fecal float will not pick up every parasite.

Kittens need to be fed wet food 5 or more times a day. No dry. Especially a kitten with diarrhea, he wil be terribly dehydrated.

You can give the Flagyl time to work, it's only been not even 2 days right? I don't know why vets always prescribe flagyl. It's not very effective.

I think your kitten needs worming (appropriate dose of drontal) and probiotics. S.boulardi specifically.

Have a read of this:

And this:

Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Whatever she says ^^^^^^^

Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Vet says he’s about 7.5 to 8 months old and even gave me a sample of dry food without any mention of wet food. I will try it though! Suggestions on which kind would be appreciated if you have any. I’ve googled how many times to feed an 8 month old cat and every site says 2 times a day, but I do 3 cause that’s what he’s been wanting so far. Most of the time he doesn’t finish all his food so I’ll just let him free eat until the bowl is finished until next meal time.
Also do either of you know where I can get probiotics?

While I’ve owned cats in the past, this is my first time being solely responsible for one. ��

Old 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynnxo92 View Post
Vet says he’s about 7.5 to 8 months old and even gave me a sample of dry food without any mention of wet food. I will try it though! Suggestions on which kind would be appreciated if you have any. I’ve googled how many times to feed an 8 month old cat and every site says 2 times a day, but I do 3 cause that’s what he’s been wanting so far. Most of the time he doesn’t finish all his food so I’ll just let him free eat until the bowl is finished until next meal time.

While I’ve owned cats in the past, this is my first time being solely responsible for one. ��
This isn't in the DC area, is it?

Old 04-26-2019, 10:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I'd cut back on the amount of food for now regardless of how much the bag says to feed him. If his GI system is irritated you don't want to overwhelm it. Also 3-4 smaller meals would probably be digested better. If he's been a stray he probably isn't used to eating regularly and hasn't been getting a lot of food. It also may be the stress of a new situation. I know with puppies, if you feed them too much food it can cause them to have diarrhea.

I wouldn't switch food right now, that could make things worse. I'd leave him on whatever you're feeding now and once his stomach is settled, then switch food if you want to. Also be sure and make a gradual switch, start by adding a little of the new food into the old and then gradually increase the amount of the new food and decrease the amount of old food.

I'd give it a few days and see if it clears up. If not, go back to the vet.

Thank you for rescuing him. Orange tabby male cats are IMO the best cats out there. Every one I have known over the years, has been super friendly and had a great personality. I even taught mine to sit up and beg for a cookie.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Have a read of this:

And this:

^^^ Yep, she knows what she's talking about.^^^
Please keep in mind that many vets are not well versed in feline nutritional needs, but are well indoctrinated by the pet food industry who's products they sell.

Also adding my for taking in a homeless kitten. Good karma coming your way.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
About the 2 meals a day...plan out your food for the day and divide it into several small meals as has been said. It's much easier on their digestion...but also more the way cats used to eat in the wild, which is up to 20 meals. That doesn't mean 20 cans, as someone I told this thought, but the day's food spaced out. Doesn't have to be 20 of course. 5 is good as was said. I work from home mostly and can do 10 or so. We joke with the English couple next door about first breakfast and second breakfast....and third breakfast. And elevenses and tea.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynnxo92 View Post

I was thinking this was a tiny kitten. At 8 months old 3 meals a day is perfect. No cat should have only 2 meals a day, ever. Cats should be fed at least 3 times a day. 12 hours or more is too long between meals and wil create other health problems down the road.

Wet only. Dry diets are terrible for cats.

Dehydrating, high in carbs, indigestible. Leads to diabetes, urinary tract disorders, kidney disease, dental decay, obesity, the list goes on. (dry diets keep the vets busy and I wonder sometimes if that's why some push them) Feed him wet foods. Read the labels and avoid grains, and other fillers. Avoid carrageenan which is highly inflammatory.

Vets, generally speaking don't know anything about feline nutrition. What they "learn" is taught by pet food representatives.

You might look into raw feeding. That's what usually cures diarrhea.

Read the links I gave you regarding probiotics. There are brands recommended.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
This isn't in the DC area, is it?
Nope, Tennessee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats