Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 08:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

I like cats. I’ve owned cats. But I have a question about a wandering house cat who showed up in my yard a couple of times.

I noticed a new to me cat taking delicate sips of water from our birdbath. The birdbath is a typical, bowl on a stand. The water was murky. He or she was doing that cat thing with a paw—stirring the water before drinking. He clumsily climbed down and left. Later DH cleaned the bowl and put fresh water in

Later I was sitting on my back porch, reading. I heard a demanding meow. (You know that meow, right?) The cat was sitting on the rim of the bird bath, looking at me and, it meowed again at me. He or she took a tiny sip or two, and then clumsily go down from the rim.

What was the cat trying to tell me? I’ve never seen a cat on my birdbath before!

I added some more water in the birdbath bowl. Did not see the cat today.

Interpret please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 08:22 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Just making conversation probably. Passing the time of day. Some cats are chatty like that. Did you speak back?

But...what do you mean by "clumsily"? He had trouble jumping down? Did you see him jump up? Wondering if he's injured.

Keep an eye out for him and monitor his condition. If it begins to deteriorate he may be newly lost (or abandoned). Keep an eye out for lost cat notices. Check your neighborhood FB or NextDoor page if you have one, glance at bulletin boards in stores, telephone poles, like that.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Cat's probably telling you thank you and please put the bowl on the ground so he can get to it more easily in the future.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:40 PM

I like both these answers. You know how cats are—they sometimes insist on being noticed. Perhaps he was introducing himself. I believe I meowed back. I also gave that slow blink, but I was not that close. The cat might have missed my slow friendly blink.

No the cat did not seem injured. The rim of the bowl is narrow, and the cat was somewhat precariously balanced. When he jumped down he had to do a lot of adjusting. And then, when he jumped to the top of my cedar fence, he barely made it.

He is the third cat to walk my fence. The other two were more agile.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:31 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like both these answers. You know how cats are—they sometimes insist on being noticed. Perhaps he was introducing himself. I believe I meowed back. I also gave that slow blink, but I was not that close. The cat might have missed my slow friendly blink.

No the cat did not seem injured. The rim of the bowl is narrow, and the cat was somewhat precariously balanced. When he jumped down he had to do a lot of adjusting. And then, when he jumped to the top of my cedar fence, he barely made it.

He is the third cat to walk my fence. The other two were more agile.

Be careful about meowing, especially to a strange cat. You don't know what you might be saying. Once one of my cats was downstairs signing (they all do that, good acoustics I guess) and I impulsively sang back to her in Cat, making the same kind of sounds (I hoped) she was making. It suddenly got silent down stairs, and then a minute later up she came, crouched, stalking and all puffed up. I have no idea what I had said to her, but clearly it wasn't something she liked and I never did it again.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Maybe he noticed the change in the water in the birdbath and had an opinion about it. Can you give him a bowl of water on the ground instead?

Old 04-09-2020, 08:59 AM

I like cats, and watching them walk my cedar fence is sort of interesting, but I don’t need them frequenting my yard and using my freshly dug flower beds as their litter boxes. So far the cats I’ve seen seem to be well mannered. But I think I’ll leave water in the birdbath for now.

I meowed many times to my cat, now long gone, and occasionally he answered. Often he just looked at the crazy human who was attempting cat talk.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:24 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
The cat was saying, "Will you PLEASE put some tuna fish water in this bird bath!?"

Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The cat was saying, "Will you PLEASE put some tuna fish water in this bird bath!?"
Ha, ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats