Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 11:01 PM

439 posts, read 289,794 times

Advertisements

For some background my cat is 18 years old. This year I noticed he has stopped cleaning himself and his hair is matted beyond belief, you can touch him and feel lots of matted hair. I initially tried getting him to a groomer but at least in my area everyone has said due this covid crap they won't accept cats they haven't seen before.

Not sure what the deal is, if this could be normal for a cat his age to just stop grooming himself but even just looking at him his hair is all matted sticking out like crazy, to the point I had to take some scissors to cut off some particularly bad ones that were so bad I had to use some forced with them to cut some of the worst matted hair off. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 11:08 PM

579 posts, read 521,620 times
Use very small scissors. Like embroidery scissors. Go very gently. Wash him down with a we/damp wash cloth. As he ages, like us, he loses flexibility and has new pains. This can affect his grooming.

Time for the vet.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:23 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
My 20-year old hasn't groomed in years. I stay on top of the mats by brushing her and cutting mats out before they get too large. I pet her every day and that is my way to check for any encroaching mats. I am very careful with the scissors as not to cut her and never get too close to the skin. Patience is very important - I pace myself and don't try to get everything done in one day.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:23 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Yes, the vet can help some with the mats and some trimming in the most necessary areas. They're awful groomers, but if you're in a bind, they can do something rather than nothing. If he's long haired, you might have to keep his fur shorter and just brush him a lot. They sell kind of wipes for "bathing" your pet, like baby wipes, so you could have some of those around.

I think Catsmom said you could clean your cat with a comb, by dipping it in water and combing them.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Use very small scissors. Like embroidery scissors. Go very gently. Wash him down with a we/damp wash cloth. As he ages, like us, he loses flexibility and has new pains. This can affect his grooming.

Time for the vet.

Never EVER wet a cat with mats. The water will make the mats a hundred times worse.

Once the mats are shaved and eliminated, he can be kept clean in this way, but not until.

OP you can continue to work at the mats yourself but I would get him in to see the vet. He needs to be shaved. Mats pull and twist the skin and it hurts the cat terribly.

The vet appointment is also needed to have his health evaluated. Often when cats stop grooming it's for health reasons. His mouth may be hurting him, his kidneys may be failing, he may be hyperthyroid, arthritis could be troubling him.

All these things can be managed. He needs a check up and blood work.

Please don't put it off, what you describe is a cat who is suffering.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:14 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Have you tried a Furmenator?

Old 11-02-2020, 07:43 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you tried a Furmenator?
If there are matts already there, I would not use a Furminator. ITA with cats mom's response above.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:43 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
You need a trimmer or the vet. Gypsy had a few mats at the end and while we watched TV, I would work on them with her toenail cutter. Tedious, but no danger of having a mishap and cutting her.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:20 PM

579 posts, read 521,620 times
[quote=catsmom21;59552772]Never EVER wet a cat with mats. The water will make the mats a hundred times worse.

[quote]

Don't be silly, I didn't say wet the mats.

Wash that cats BUTT and FACE with a DAMP facecloth to maintain it's hygiene and comfort. Help the poor old dear out. Remove the mats with a small scissor.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:48 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My senior long hair cat always matted even when she groomed well. I used to have her lion cut every few years, then found a mobile groomer who would come every 6 months come to keep her fur in good condition but none of those people are in business now. I've used scissors on a few large mats, and a steel comb or detangle brush when I feel anything forming. Just today I had to brush out a knot forming on her tail that formed around a small leaf. She likes to sleep under the bushes and when the sprinklers have been on she still sleeps in the damp soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats