Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 01:54 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

My 11.5 yr old kitty was scheduled for a dental checkup & cleaning, among other things this morning. I was hoping she wouldn't need any extractions, but sadly she did. 5 teeth.

They said she has FORLs (Feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions), something that can be hereditary and I was told is also fairly common in older cats.

I get to pick her up in a couple hours; she'll be on 2 liquid oral meds for pain & inflammation.

I feel so bad for her. She's had a tough 9 months, first with hyperthyroid, then pilling 2x a day which for her was torturous until I finally opted for the one shot I-131 Iodine treatment. Now she might be hypothyroid as a result of the tumor ablation -- will know after bloodwork gets run this week, since it's been >90 days since her I-131 treatment.

Now the dental problems.

It feels like a slippery slope of health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 02:12 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Well she's going to feel a lot better with those teeth gone, you'll be amazed at the difference in her, after she heals.

What are the pain meds? Most pain meds for cats these days are meant to be absorbed through the gums (or other mucus membranes), not the stomach, so check with the vet about how to administer. Most are given by squirting into the mouth and aiming for the gums, under the tongue, NOT down the throat.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What are the pain meds? Most pain meds for cats these days are meant to be absorbed through the gums (or other mucus membranes), not the stomach, so check with the vet about how to administer. Most are given by squirting into the mouth and aiming for the gums, under the tongue, NOT down the throat.
Haven't picked them up yet (or my kitty) but I believe Metacam is one of them, and the other will be a narcotic (possibly Buprenex).

I'm aware administration, at least for the narcotic, is on the gum line, or under the tongue, or in the cheek pocket, for mucosal absorption. I've already watched a few videos online to acquaint myself with the proper administration technique.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:24 PM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Hoping your fur baby recovers quickly!

Old 01-11-2021, 04:14 PM

She's home, and not coming anywhere near me. I am the devil woman who makes her ride in a car, in a crate.

They said she did very well. Of course being drugged makes for a docile cat.

The meds are only for 3 days. I was expecting at least a week, but they said it wasn't necessary.

Metacam and Buprenex, as mentioned above.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:23 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, one of my first 2 kitties had major dental issues -- a lot of her teeth didn't come in, then she lost a bunch of them over her 16 years. I always felt bad when that happened, but honestly, she was back to her normal eat-all-the-treats-in-sight self within a day or two.

I wish you and your kitty the best!

Old 01-11-2021, 05:36 PM

Thanks!

It's time to give her the nighttime dose of her narcotic, and she won't come near me or let me get anywhere near her (she runs away), and she needs to take these meds on time.

sigh.....

Old 01-11-2021, 06:33 PM

Gotcha!

An hour late but better late than never. Getting meds into this cat is like conducting a secret military operation, with undercover spies and a winding labyrinth. And she's psychic on top of it; she knows when something's up.

She complained loudly, make no mistake about that. MeowwwwwHisssssss. I of course ignore the 4 letter words she spews.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:53 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Gotcha!

An hour late but better late than never. Getting meds into this cat is like conducting a secret military operation, with undercover spies and a winding labyrinth. And she's psychic on top of it; she knows when something's up.

She complained loudly, make no mistake about that. MeowwwwwHisssssss. I of course ignore the 4 letter words she spews.

You're amazing. I had to do that to the nicest cat in the world who never ran from me and am still not sure I ever got it quite right. I am sure it helped her feel a lot better.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
You're amazing. I had to do that to the nicest cat in the world who never ran from me and am still not sure I ever got it quite right. I am sure it helped her feel a lot better.
I had 5 months of trial by fire pilling my cat twice a day for her hyperthyroid disease. That was absolutely miserable for both of us. I was in tears on more than one occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats